Grass pron anyone? (that means photos of your yard)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just got done mowing the yard, rare for me nowadays as my sons do it. But since they are living it up elsewhere right now...l

Anyway, my grass is looking pretty good for the first time in two years. Still not as thick as I would like it.

Anyway, share photos of your grass!!

dsc0031v.jpg

Last edited:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Nice piece of grASS....

I cut mine twice a week I wish somebody else would cut it... Maybe I just need a thing with some different grASS.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It's dark out so I can't take a "grass only" picture right now, but I did take this earlier today which has my grass in it...

Yes, I know it's shaggy.

dscn1192w.jpg

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is that a maine coon? And how long did it take you to get it used to a leash?

She is, and we kinda just tried it and she pretty much ignored it after a few minutes. She won't be lead with it, but you can follow her around and sit with her and she's happy. She was a partly outdoor cat before we got her, but because the neighbors have large dogs, and there are foxes and large hawks around, we can't safely let her run free.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    She is, and we kinda just tried it and she pretty much ignored it after a few minutes. She won't be lead with it, but you can follow her around and sit with her and she's happy. She was a partly outdoor cat before we got her, but because the neighbors have large dogs, and there are foxes and large hawks around, we can't safely let her run free.

Thanks, my wife has one and I've heard they are one of the easiest breeds to leash train, but my wife's is probably a bit too old to start now. And she's been a indoor cat all her life. That and for a cat that big she's the biggest chicken. Oh and how big is your cat? I think my wife's is around 22# but she's packing a bit extra.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Thanks, my wife has one and I've heard they are one of the easiest breeds to leash train, but my wife's is probably a bit too old to start now. And she's been a indoor cat all her life. That and for a cat that big she's the biggest chicken. Oh and how big is your cat? I think my wife's is around 22# but she's packing a bit extra.

I have no idea exactly how much she weighs, but on the bathroom scale, the difference between holding her and not is about 9 pounds.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Nice...

I have a gnarly little dead spot. Watered twice a week but it's just not coming up. :(

Weeded and feeded my whole .19 acre twice last year, once so far this year last week. Cut three times in the past 8 days! :): It's getting ridiculous...good workout though.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    27zxbip.jpg

it's a wee little yard but I converted it from a weed lot and haven't had to mow once this season. This is my first attempt at a mow-less yard. Looking forward to seeing how it comes back in the spring...and
    DANG Jack that's some nice yard you have!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    More Lawn tips from the Ag school

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2009/09032009_diseases.html

Damping off diseases in new seedlings

Although the cool weather tends to limit disease in new seedlings, a spike in the temperatures could trigger outbreaks in juvenile turf yet this year. Late summer is clearly the best time of the year to seed for a variety of reasons, but we must deal with two difficulties of seeding at this time:

Our driest months are usually Aug and Sep and thus irrigation is essential for success in a late summer seeding;

Increased soil and air temperatures combined with high humidity and frequent irrigation create ideal conditions for seedling diseases like damping off, caused by Pythium (and other fungi) which can destroy a new stand virtually overnight.

Limiting these diseases can be done by:

Watering in the morning and early afternoon to allow soil to dry as best you can before nightfall;

Mowing as soon as seedlings reach a mowable height will tend to keep the canopy drier and less humid, which is less conducive to infection;

Purchasing seed coating with Apron or other fungicides. These normally add about 7-10 cents/pound to the cost and will protect against infection at a very critical time. This is pretty inexpensive protection in our opinion.

Treating seedbeds or newly emerged seedlings prior to the onset of warm wet weather with Subdue or Banol to avoid Pythium damping off and/or Pythium blight. One problem is allowing the seedbed to dry in order to support foot, spreader, and/or sprayer traffic. Small sprayers will likely be necessary and Subdue is available in a granular formulation.

Top Bottom