Granger Community Church to become gun free zone.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Agree but a warning for you.
    A church with any type of educational program for children could be considered a "school"
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0-no_gun_at_church_anymore-3.html#post1695802

-Jedi

Yeah I already knew about that but those are completely different laws. The law about weapons is very clear in that the schools have to fall within the licensing guidelines which AFAIK Sunday School does not.

Not that I am discounting or even disagreeing with Guy, I just think that what he said might be taken out of context. At any point in time a judge can make a decision that would use a law in a way that you or I could not predict, however that would of course be up for appeal and challenged. I see that as a risk I would gladly take or in other words I see it as highly unlikely. Sort of the same risk as someone targeting me for OCing, taking my gun and shooting me... :rolleyes:

COULD it happen? Well, sure anything CAN happen.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    You guys carry in church? Like, *inside* church? I'm trying not to judge, but help me understand the thought process here. I'm not a man of faith myself, but if I were, I'd think the one place I'd feel good about not going heeled is in a house of god.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You guys carry in church? Like, *inside* church? I'm trying not to judge, but help me understand the thought process here. I'm not a man of faith myself, but if I were, I'd think the one place I'd feel good about not going heeled is in a house of god.

I ALWAYS carry! My Pastor carries too. I know several Pastors that carry while in the pulpit. Jesus' own disciples carried swords so I don't see the issue with worshiping while armed. God wants us to protect and defend our family at ALL times, it is our #2 responsibility.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN

You've never heard of someone shooting up a church? Evil knows no borders.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I ALWAYS carry! My Pastor carries too. I know several Pastors that carry while in the pulpit. Jesus' own disciples carried swords so I don't see the issue with worshiping while armed. God wants us to protect and defend our family at ALL times, it is our #2 responsibility.

I thought Christ told them to pack as a teaching moment later on?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    No, Christ said they needed swords and they produced 2 swords immediately so they were carrying them the whole time.

Nothing in the Bible is single dimensional, it can be literal fact, a parable, a prophecy, a teaching lesson all at once. If it is important enough to have been written down almost 50 years after it happened and translated painstakingly over 2000 years then there is more to it than surface value.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

Nut jobs and criminals love to target people who are ( i hate this word ) religious. I know a lot of people that are Christians that would say the same thing you did. That means even more reason to carry, you may be one of the few if something were to happen while at church. I can tell you I go to a very small church and I am pretty sure I would be the only one carrying during service, in our small congregation.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You've never heard of someone shooting up a church? Evil knows no borders.

THIS^^^

I know of several stories of attacks that happened at a church. Bad men have no respect for the church, and will not hesitate to attack church goers. I am a Pastor, and I carry every Sunday while preaching. I figure I will be one of the first to see an attacker since the majority of the congregation will have their backs to him. I have been told that I lack faith because I carry.

From a religious perspective (without going too much into religious discussion), Jesus' disciples carried self defense weapons with them at all times. (Peter defended Jesus' arrest by attacking the servant of the High Priest) If Jesus did not condemn them for a lack of faith because they carried weapons, why should we have to go unarmed?

On another note, I hear people say all the time "Why do you carry at _____________?" Maybe it's the movie theater, or the park, or the zoo. Can you choose where you are attacked? I carry ALL THE TIME, because I don't have a crystal ball to tell me when and where I will be attacked.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    THIS^^^
    From a religious perspective (without going too much into religious discussion), Jesus' disciples carried self defense weapons with them at all times. (Peter defended Jesus' arrest by attacking the servant of the High Priest) If Jesus did not condemn them for a lack of faith because they carried weapons, why should we have to go unarmed?

Well, at the risk of discussing religion, I kind of thought he did condemn them. If not, what was the point of Matthew 26:52. I'll probably let it go past this, as I don't really care either way, I was just interested from an understanding the culture kind of angle.

On another note, I hear people say all the time "Why do you carry at _____________?" Maybe it's the movie theater, or the park, or the zoo. Can you choose where you are attacked? I carry ALL THE TIME, because I don't have a crystal ball to tell me when and where I will be attacked.

Yeah, and I get all the other places. I just figured whatever happens in the big guy's house would be considered part of his purpose. It's fine by me, I was never much for the meek shall inherit / turn the other cheek / love your enemy as yourself / live by the sword die by the sword / rejoice in your persecution and suffering stuff, which is why I'm no longer religious. :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I will say that my wife's step mother has a license daycare out of her home...I believe I'm unable to visit her at her house while carrying.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I am a Pastor, and I carry every Sunday while preaching. I figure I will be one of the first to see an attacker since the majority of the congregation will have their backs to him. I have been told that I lack faith because I carry.

As a pastor friend of mine who carried while preaching once told me, his job was to hold the badguys off until God got there. :)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Well, at the risk of discussing religion, I kind of thought he did condemn them. If not, what was the point of Matthew 26:52. I'll probably let it go past this, as I don't really care either way, I was just interested from an understanding the culture kind of angle.

Why would he say "Put your sword back in its place if it did not have a place? My opinion on the matter is that Jesus needed to give himself up freely, not to be captured. Having his disciples armed and ready to defend themselves yet he willingly goes with the soldiers shows that HE is the one in control, not them.

As for "Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" it does not mean that what Peter did was wrong or that defending yourself is wrong. I believe he was referring to the soldiers and the criminals they capture. The sword in a biblical context is both physical and spiritual and they are not necessarily interchangable. Therefore if one was to rely only on a physcal sword, you would die spiritually becuase you would place your faith in this world. Jesus was trying to teach Peter that there are times when a spiritual sword is what is needed at the expense of your body. He was off to fight a spiritual war and Peter's sword was not needed any longer, he needed to don his own spiritual sword for the coming fight.

Yeah, and I get all the other places. I just figured whatever happens in the big guy's house would be considered part of his purpose. It's fine by me, I was never much for the meek shall inherit / turn the other cheek / love your enemy as yourself / live by the sword die by the sword / rejoice in your persecution and suffering stuff, which is why I'm no longer religious. :D

The entire WORLD is the Lord's, the Church is a congregation of believers, the place they worship tha tis commonly called a "church" is just a building- it has no actual spiritual significance. Your actions carry the same weight/merrit no matter where you are.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

A careful reading of the verse will show that Jesus did not condemn them for carrying, but for using the swords at an inappropriate time. There were certain events that had to occur for prophecy to be fulfilled, and Peter was interfering with that timeline. He was inserting his desires in the place of what God wanted. At that point it didn't matter if he used a sword, nunchuka, Glock or Super Soaker.

This is similar in nature to John 7 where the pharisees brought a woman before Jesus that they wanted to (illegally) stone because she was caught in adultery. Many well-meaning people use this story to argue that Jesus was against the death penalty. A careful reading of the passage will show that he did not either overtly or covertly condemn the death penalty, but acknowledged the reality of it. What he did condemn was the dishonest, hypocritical judging of the pharisees.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

A careful reading of the verse will show that Jesus did not condemn them for carrying, but for using the swords at an inappropriate time. There were certain events that had to occur for prophecy to be fulfilled, and Peter was interfering with that timeline. He was inserting his desires in the place of what God wanted. At that point it didn't matter if he used a sword, nunchuka, [STRIKE]Glock[/STRIKE]1911 or Super Soaker.

FTFY
    We all know that GLOCKs are the devil's toys and go BOOM just by looking at them. No follower of Jesus would ever dare have such a fugly weapon in the lords precense. :laugh:

-Jedi

Top Bottom