• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Fiance got the iPhone 4s recently. I figured my $300 was better spent on a firearm so I picked up the Ruger SR22, haha. Initial reviews online looked positive and the manual of arms is similar to my Beretta nightstand gun (safety up for red, da/sa, etc). Most importantly, I saw the claims of functioning with any factory ammo (not just high velocity) as a huge positive so I can use those 22 bulk packs.

This is my first .22lr firearm and I look forward to lots of plinking at the range this weekend. I have a wide selection of ammo I'm looking to try out in order to test the 'any factory ammo' claims. I'll put up a quick range report and let you know how it goes...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My Ruger SR22 shot all three varieties of what I had on hand. Federal 525 bulk, Federal un-plated stuff (blue box), and CCI mini-mags.

My fancy Buck Mark chokes on anything non-CCI.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Congrats on the new Ruger! I almost went with the SR22, decided on a GSG 1911 instead for now. From what I have seen the SR22 is a fine pistol, and a worthy purchase for a fun plinker and small game getter. :D

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Congrats! Almost picked up one myself. I was between the SR22, the GSG, and the M&P22. Went with the M&P as it relates to my winter carry M&P9.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have over 300 rounds through mine and it has functioned perfect. It is actually my wifes gun,But I think I will pick me up one too. I am hoping they will come out with one with a Silver slide to match the SR9c. I have has several .22. this is my favorite for sure. Jim

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Fiance got the iPhone 4s recently. I figured my $300 was better spent on a firearm so I picked up the Ruger SR22, haha. Initial reviews online looked positive and the manual of arms is similar to my Beretta nightstand gun (safety up for red, da/sa, etc). Most importantly, I saw the claims of functioning with any factory ammo (not just high velocity) as a huge positive so I can use those 22 bulk packs.

This is my first .22lr firearm and I look forward to lots of plinking at the range this weekend. I have a wide selection of ammo I'm looking to try out in order to test the 'any factory ammo' claims. I'll put up a quick range report and let you know how it goes...

An SR22 over an iPhone 4S? :n00b:

Just messin'. Congrats and have fun with it. Had one in my hands a week or so ago (SR22, already have an iPhone 4S), couldn't make myself get the wallet out for one yet.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Bought one yesterday myself. I have yet to shoot it, but hope to tomorrow. I was torn between that and the P22, but the comparisons fell favorably in the Ruger's corner. Can't wait to get it out...

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Got the SR22 to the range today. Shot 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HP, and around 50 rounds of CCI bulk tactical. I did not have a single hiccup. Great little gun. A lot of fun to shoot. I need more mags...

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    All righty. Took the SR22 to the range on Saturday morning and outside of a few numb fingers, I had a blast. My friend who went with commented that he's never seen a semi-auto .22 that doesn't seem to have a break in period - it shot great from the very first magazine to the last. I tried out the following ammo:

-50 rounds Federal 40 grain
    -50 rounds Remington Golden Bullet (high velocity) 40 grain
    -50 rounds Winchester Bushman 37 grain hollow point
    -50 rounds CCI 40 grain (std velocity)
    -50-100ish rounds Remington Gold bullet (hollow point) 36 grain

All of these, with the exception of the Remington hollow points were out of 50 round boxes, just so I could get a sample of each type. After over 250+ rounds I only had two issues:

-1 failure to feed from the Wincheshter Bushman, fixed by manually racking the slide
    -1 failure to feed from the Federal, fixed by manually racking the slide

The Winchester had noticeably light recoil and after some bumping around on the internet I noticed that youtube's "Hickock45" was experiencing the same issue with the SR22, albeit more than me. He mentioned that he believed it wasn't necessarily an issue with the firearm or magazine, but possibly underpowered rounds that were capable of ejecting a spent casing and not pushing the slide back far enough to chamber the next round. I'm not qualified to determine why these issues were occurring but considering how well the firearm performed outside of those 2 issues, I'll consider this an ammo-related problem moreso than one with the firearm or magazines.

To take a grouping sample for each ammo type, I was shooting 10 rounds at a target on the 7 yard berm at MCFG using a rest and firing in single action. Everything was shooting 3-4 inches high, but nothing got outside of a softball sized group. The Federal created a slightly smaller group, and the CCI created a group about the size of a snapple cap. I then took 20 of the CCI and hit the 50 yard gong at MCFG 10/20 times from a sitting position. My buddy commented that he could hear me giggling all the way down at the other end of the range every time he hard a 'ping' noise from the gong - hey, it's nice to feel like a good shooter for once!

The last note on accuracy is that I intend to take some CCI minimags in the future and move the elevation of the sight down a bit. As stated earlier, all of my groups were a bit high so regardless of whether that is my fault or the pistol's I'm going to make the adjustment so the pistol is dead on for me.

One note was the DA trigger pull. I also have a Beretta px4 storm which has a very smooth DA pull. Compared to the PX4, the SR22's was rather long and a bit grainy, to the point where i was being surprised when it would finally break. Not a huge issue, but if I had to identify one negative, that might be it. Hopefully the trigger smooths out after some more use.

Overall, i'm really pleased with the Ruger SR22 pistol. I had never really understood all the fanfare about .22lr on INGO, but now I see the light.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Great Review!! I had about the same results. The little thing even gets better with more use. I am afraid that everone is going to have one and mags are going to be a pain to get ahold of. Super fun gun to shoot just like the big brother the SR9c. Jim

Top Bottom