• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Non-expert question out of left field here. The front spring lug not breaking away from the rest of the slide is basically what keeps the back of the slide from recoiling all the way back off the slide rails and hitting you in the face. How does one know how much metal you can remove from a slide, before you've gotten into the safety margin of the part?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Similar to the above question, how do you know how much to remove in general?
    Is it art based on experience, or formula, or a combination?
    Then is pattern you choose to remove material art or a certain pattern?
    Very cool.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Best I can address the two questions above is by personal experience. I can not give a technical answer to your question.

When I first started I was pretty worried about slides cracking but over time I have not seen any issues. Plus many aftermarket slides you buy are cut way more then this one/
    I have seen some issues with open guns used for USPSA and the like. But they get alot of abuse.

I don't believe that the action of the slide against the frame is as severe as it seems.

Have either of you grasped a slide and frame together with your hand and fired a shot to induce a malfunction? I have and it is not as violent as you would think....at least 9mm that is.
    I have a personal line that I will not cross as far as how much metal I would remove , but the slide in the pic above does not come close to that.

I don't know if that helps but best I can offer at this time

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Hmmmm....

Top Bottom