• ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    PICS ADDED!

got a new mossberg 500 today. combo version with a smoothbore 28 in barrel and fully rifled 24 inch also.

i was going to get an 870 but i noticed the mossberg right when i was about to buy it and they were the same price. so i figured id get the 500 with an extra barrel pretty much for free. :rockwoot:

hope it serves well and i wont regret not getting the 870

Last edited:

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    I have owned both and I have loved both I think you will be a happy owner ..

i hope so. i never looked at mossbergs. i wanted a remington so i was set on it. untill i seen the extra barrel on the 500 with the same price tag. saved me 100 or more bucks going with the mossberg so im happy there. but it is one ugly gun. i cant wait to :ar15:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Congrats!

Now you can focus on looking for an 18-20" smoothbore so you can make your shotgun all cool and stuff. hehe

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    I bought my son a 500 the same time that my friend got an 870. The 500 has functioned flawlessly on the skeet field. While the 870 hangs up and doesn't eject the shell when you try to pump. Probably not a common problem with the 870 but our experience so far.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You can't go wrong with either. My first shotgun was a used mossy 500A. I prefer the 870 now and my dad still loves Mossberg.

Some people prefer the Mossberg Safety position vs. the 870, while some prefer the reduced wiggle and rattle in the 870s forearm bars. I personally find that the 870 doesn't seem to kick as hard with the same load shot in a Mossy.

Aside from that, my Dad killed 2 Turkeys with a 500, my brother dropped a nice doe at 50 yards dead before she hit the ground with a smooth barrel and rifled slugs in his old old 500A. I got a nice buck with my 870 this year. They all will work...I'd love to have one of both if I could.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i will post pics tonight.
    but i did notice the forearm bars move alot! annoying but ill take it for a free barrel.
    i did notice on the 870 that the finish looked terrible and already had some rust starting on it and it was brand new.

i plan on getting an 18" barrel soon lol with a heat shield of course

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    i will post pics tonight.
    but i did notice the forearm bars move alot! annoying but ill take it for a free barrel.
    i did notice on the 870 that the finish looked terrible and already had some rust starting on it and it was brand new.

i plan on getting an 18" barrel soon lol with a heat shield of course

Yep..those dang bars do rattle. The 870 develops surface rust easily but is easily removed with a light cleaning with a rag and some rem oil.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    question. do you guys use rem oil to clean and lube your shotguns? i picked some up the other day. it seemed to dry, i have always used clp so im not used to having oil "dry" is what it looked like.
    i dont really know what im trying to get at i guess, just wondering if anyone else uses it the way i did.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    picture.php

crown grade (whatever that means)!

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    question. do you guys use rem oil to clean and lube your shotguns?

I use Mobil 1 on everything. My shotgun bolts and moving parts get a very light wipedown after cleaning.

Now this would be the shotgun to clear a house with. 10 gauge, nice and short, and with a good load of black powder even it you managed to miss with the shot the flames and smoke screen would allow you to get away!

10ga1.jpg

10ga2.jpg

10ga3.jpg

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I bought my son a 500 the same time that my friend got an 870. The 500 has functioned flawlessly on the skeet field. While the 870 hangs up and doesn't eject the shell when you try to pump. Probably not a common problem with the 870 but our experience so far.
    Are you using reloads? I had the same problem with my 11-87 when i use to shoot competition trap, and the whole problem was the shells i was using werent resized when i reloaded them, and they were shot out of my browning bt 99 which didnt have as tight of barrel tolerances. Bought a resizer and never had a problem again. My mossberg is the same way i cant use the shells fired out of it in my 11-87 without resizing them.

Top Bottom