Good round for 1400 yard bench rest thats not 6.5 Creedmoor? I need some experienced opinions

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadRunner68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Need a little help, want buy a bolt gun I'm stuck on 300 prc because we'll big gun. But I don't know what would really be ideal

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmm. 1400 yards. The most long range matches I have shot at longest were 1000 meters. (Most were 1000 yards)

300 win mag?

If hunting long range I have used 7mm mag out west and it worked for me but I was not shooting the distance you are
    Wanting to shoot at.

I wish you well and will look for other to comment.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot remember if the Winnequah Range put the extra lane to 1200 or 1400 yards, but 6.5 X 284 has been popular and effective for competitions there. That club is big on developing PALMA competitors. Obermeyer barrels found their way to the top of the heap on that range.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am with NyleRN on this one. Your problem is not getting 1400m but to keep the projectile above the speed of sound to get there.

When the projectile transitions back from being hypersonic they are likely to tumble or veer as the result, and when they do it will not be consistent. When consistency is the goal, shooting any small caliber that range is at best a gamble.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'll stick with 338.
    The two guys I shoot LR with both shoot Savage 338's one is stock and the other he had re-barreled by Stenski. its a 34" stainless with one of Stenskis brakes on it. It was money well spent!!!
    I have an 1st gen Arma-lite 50 that I load for.

All three of the above get served nothing but hand-loads, they are all expensive to load for.

I shoot two 300 WM's a stock 700 PSS and a 40X short action single shot in a old heavy McMillan. I'm guessing I can load for less than half the cost of 338 and a bunch more comfortable to shoot a hundred rounds out of in a afternoon.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have a Red Rock precision in 300 RUM. I picked up the gun there and shot it out to 1200 yds. Very accurate. I first ordered a 300 PRC, they called and asked me to change it to 300 RUM. They were having a hard time getting the 300 PRC dialed in. Im very happy with the 300 RUM, I load my own with 212 gr. boolits and Retumbo. I mainly use it for hunting and practice with it in the summer. I would go with 338 as my second choice.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    i considered it but i was informed its hard on barrels, im also still limited to factory ammo for the moment
    There isn't much in that game that isn't going to be expensive. Shooting out a barrel in a thousand rounds (or fewer) is literally part of the game when you're talking about accomplishing what you're wanting to accomplish.

Gots to have $ to play that game.

I'd suggest that your first purchase should be a scope capable of the distances. (says me - who knows nothing but what I've listened to on podcasts by people WAY smarter than I am)

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom