• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Does anybody remember the good old days when you could take a couch, car, refrigerator, ect to Camp Atterbury. I remember when you could just walk up, set up your targets, and blow the to he!! with a quarter stick of dynamite, fully auto machine guns, or whatever else your heart desired.

I completely understand the need for safety. That being said, the Golden Rule used to be if you don't feel safe, leave and come back when the dumb a@@ is gone. Whats this world coming to when you can't go to your local outdoor range and fill a liqueur bottle with gas, stuff a rag in, light it, and let 'er rip?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That being said, the Golden Rule used to be if you don't feel safe, leave and come back when the dumb a@@ is gone.

The problem is dumb a@@ population density is too high now. Those of us who like to shoot safely would never get to do so. Although maybe if we had a range dedicated to them where only the dumb a@@'s could go, that would thin the herd a bit.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That place was like the wild west back then. I was there one time when a guy rolled in on his motorcycle, walked straight to the 25 yard range pulled a 50AE Desert Eagle out of a bandoleer style holster shot the hell out of everyones targets, walked back to his bike and rode off. Nobody said a word because the guy looked like he would just as soon shoot someone on the firing line.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yes, I remember those days. Personally, I never had any issues with that system (or rather lack thereof).

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Fond memories!!! Shooting there one weekend, this guy rolls up in a vending company truck and procedes to unload case upon case of soda pop, hauls it to the 50 yd range. Great time!!

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Oh yes, I remember those days. I remember having to spend an hour or so cleaning up all the s**t that dumb***es left on the ranges before we could do any shooting. :rolleyes:

Just for reference, this was 20+ years ago.

I don't think safety was the main issue. I think it was the all crap left on the range that they had to haul off. :twocents:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I can remember going to Willow Slough, about 15 years ago, after Halloween. Guys would bring pickup truck loads of pumpkins for everyone to shoot.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    I loved going to Atterbury as a teen. Friend and i would drive down and spend all day shooting...for just the cost of ammo. I know everyone talks about the idiots(and there was more than a few), but I remember the great guys too. More than a few times guys would ask us if we wanted to shoot their guns or they would offer help to us hopelessly misguided teens. No matter how much we shot, we always hated it when the ammo ran out. Good ol days indeed.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The funny thing is that in the good-ole days, even though we were shooting almost everything but paper targets and there was no range officer around....I never heard of anyone getting hurt.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I loved going to Atterbury as a teen. Friend and i would drive down and spend all day shooting...for just the cost of ammo. I know everyone talks about the idiots(and there was more than a few), but I remember the great guys too. More than a few times guys would ask us if we wanted to shoot their guns or they would offer help to us hopelessly misguided teens. No matter how much we shot, we always hated it when the ammo ran out. Good ol days indeed.

Exactly! There were more than a few times where guys would just offer you to shoot their guns and burn up their ammo. It was great going out to shoot my cheap .22 and somebody offer me to shoot their .44 mag or 300 win mag. The 5 to 10 rounds I shot out of their guns cost as much as my whole 500 count box of .22lr lol!

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Problem was nobody picked up their trash afterwards...just let it lie. Same thing still happening out West. I used to go to a small canyon just East of Tucson to shoot. No rules, everybody shot anything they wanted. Twice a year I would get a bunch of friends and haul out hundreds of pounds of broken glass, bottles, appliances, whatever. If you shoot junk, haul it out too!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Went out there with my dad 15-20 years ago, there'd be guys that wouldn't even cease fire when you'd go out to check target/set new targets. It was like 80% of the line would stop and let you go down, check their targets as well, but always a couple idiots that would pop off a few rounds when half the shooters were downrange checking targets...

Made ya just want to claim self-defense and shoot back...

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I think it was the two main issues were saftey and trash, yes I and frends hauled junk to the range to shoot up, but unlike others we policed the range of our junk before we left, then their was alway the idot that would unload his wepon while you were down range

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A few years ago, they built a new restroom at the Henryville range, I think the last time I went in there to take a leak, I counted over a hundred bullet holes in the walls. It's dumbasses like that that give the rest of us a bad image. I only go to Henryville early in the day, while the dumbasses are still in bed.

Top Bottom