Good backpacking mattress for side sleeper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I sleep best on my side. Almost exclusively. (with much protesting from my bad shoulders) I have a hard time sleeping any other way. I REALLY want to pack in and camp out in the woods, but so far the only mattress that I know works for me is a big ass 5" air mattress that Ive used for 20 years with my Eureka Backcountry 2. But I want something lighter that I can actually carry around.

Ive tried a couple air mattresses, but they suck unless you are on your back.

Any suggestions for a good 3-4" lightweight air mattress? The Klymit V2 claims its good for side sleepers but I'm wary.

And I dont need ultralight because I wont be packing for miles. I doubt I'll hike in more than a mile anywhere to camp. I just dont want a 5lb vinyl beast the size of a twin mattress dragging me down.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Overweight, large frame side sleeper here. Klymit Static V Luxe is my current choice. On sale on Amazon for $62 right now. I will say that nothing beats a cot, but that's weight. I use a thermarest luxury lite xl when I don't have to carry it far.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Overweight, large frame side sleeper here. Klymit Static V Luxe is my current choice. On sale on Amazon for $62 right now. I will say that nothing beats a cot, but that's weight. I use a thermarest luxury lite xl when I don't have to carry it far.
    Ive got a decent cot. But like I said, Ive got crap shoulders and too much pressure makes them ache. But its better than the ground. And its not horribly heavy, but still.
    When I was a kid, I used to think it was cool that I could gross people out and push my shoulders down and out of their sockets without any discomfort. That "slop" in my late 40s now results in discomfort.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Found a review here

Of this…

Have also seen ads for Big Agnes side sleeping bag, wonder how much that would help? I haven’t tried it because I sleep so hot generally don’t need it zipped up and get along with what I have.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have to make a plug for hammocks here. I don't sleep on the ground much anymore after figuring out hammocks.

With that said, sometimes I go places where you can't hang. As a side sleeper, I have a thermarest Neoair extra long and a Big Agnes pad that's tapered for mummy bags and bivvy bags. Both are discontinued, but both work well to allow you sleep on your side. If either of them claim that a particular pad is good for side sleepers, I'd be inclined to believe them.

There's a Thermarest pad in there somewhere.
    Y3kRHpH.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, No more than I camp, and how prone to puncture those things are, I cant imagine dropping $200 on an air mattress. The last time I decided to go big I went to REI and bought a good self inflating thick mattress. it was great. Until 5 years later I pulled it out of the closet and found that the insert that is glued to the two halves of the mattress in the corner to give you a place to screw in the plug rotted and split away from the fabric. wouldnt hold air. I got 2 more uses out of it by slathering the area liberally with silicone caulk. I think that pad cost me about $25/night. LOL

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I have to make a plug for hammocks here. I don't sleep on the ground much anymore after figuring out hammocks.

With that said, sometimes I go places where you can't hang. As a side sleeper, I have a thermarest Neoair extra long and a Big Agnes pad that's tapered for mummy bags and bivvy bags. Both are discontinued, but both work well to allow you sleep on your side. If either of them claim that a particular pad is good for side sleepers, I'd be inclined to believe them.

There's a Thermarest pad in there somewhere.
    Y3kRHpH.jpg
    I’d love hammock sleeping if I didn’t sleep in my side, how do you do it?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I’d love hammock sleeping if I didn’t sleep in my side, how do you do it?
    You might just need a longer hammock with the right amount of sag. When you lay on the diagonal, you're flat. I turn from L side to back to R side during the night. I can't do it a short one like ENO, but I do it in my 12 footer all the time. I wish I'd have bought a longer one from the beginning.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    You might just need a longer hammock with the right amount of sag. When you lay on the diagonal, you're flat. I turn from L side to back to R side during the night. I can't do it a short one like ENO, but I do it in my 12 footer all the time. I wish I'd have bought a longer one from the beginning.
    I’ve never been able to get flat enough in my eno double. Didn’t know they made longer, I’ll look into that, thanks!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I’ve never been able to get flat enough in my eno double. Didn’t know they made longer, I’ll look into that, thanks!
    Here's the direction I went. https://simplylightdesigns.com/collections/what-s-new/products/the-starter

Currently $65 for the hammock, straps and suspension. I've had mine since '19 and it's still in great shape.

Simply Light has been great to deal with too. I've bought other things from them and couldn't be happier. It's a one man operation, so bear that in mind when looking at lead times.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also really like the Klymit V2. We have 3 twin size and one full size. I stay on my back most of the time but my wife is a side sleeper. Neither one if us had any issues camping in NE Oregon for 7 nights. We also like using them as a hammock pad. Either way using them, it just take a little bit to figure out how much air you need.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    REI has the static V Luxe for $48 dollars right now.

I just bought one, no way I could see myself sleeping comfortably on some 20” pad, 30” inches should be plenty.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AAR. I decided to try the Klymit. First night I didnt last 2 hours. Just too uncomfy. Tried again last night and put less air in it to make it softer. Still no joy. I started around 11:30 and had a helluva time getting to sleep. finally gave up at 5:30 and went back to my bed. Finally got rousted at 10:30. Apparently I got zero rest on the pad. I guess my effed up shoulders just cant handle the thin mats.

Looks like if I want to camp, I'm stuck with 4" mattresses. Ive got countless nights on one that fits perfectly in my Eureka Backcountry 2. But those two are heavier than I wanted to carry on my back. Guess I have no choice.

Luckily Im still barely in the return window. So it and the 1 person trekking pole tent are headed back.

Thanks anyway guys.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update. Maybe I found a winner.
    I found a cheap-ish 4" on Amazon. On my side it feels even better than the Klymit out of the gate. Here's hoping.
    And as a side note, finding a 4" WITHOUT one of the weird built in foot pumps is hard. I bought one against my better judgement and sure enough, it arrived DOA. Pump wouldnt pump. (sorry if I posted that upthread. I didnt reread the whole thing.)

Amazon product ASIN B07N4KK854
    And it is still small enough to fit in a one man bivvy if I choose that route. :thumbsup:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Im a side sleeper and use the klymit static v lux. The pattern on klymit pads only really works one way. Sleeping on it upside down is not as fun.
    I love tree hammocks (gran trunk doubles) and light weight ground hamocks(the one i used is discontinued). Being 6'1" and 250lbs alot of things just dont work for bigger dudes. I use large air pillows too. (Klymit or air2sea) Helps with head placement for side Sleeping.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My current pad is a Nemo Tensor insulated. Have also had good experiences with Big Agnes and Klymit and a couple decades ago with Thermarest.

Would a closed cell foam pad on top of an inflatable pad help? Seems like with the inflatables the pointy parts (hips/shoulders) can bottom out. Something like the Z-Lite on top of the inflatable would spread out the surface area at those pointy spots. Plus the bonus of extra insulation. You may only need a partial torso sized closed cell pad to feel the benefit.

I carry Z Lite this way vertically so it does not snag on things while hiking rather than a big square sticking out both sides.

Ute_Pad.jpg

Top Bottom