• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Logansport
    Just had a chance to shoot a Glock 30. The first Glock I've ever shot, always been parcel to 1911"s. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of a Glock. Kind a got the bug for one. Thanks

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    If you liked the way it fit your hand, and you liked the way it shot, there are very few cons with any Glock model. The 30 is a little fat, but lots of people conceal them and use them for daily carry. It's all up to what you like. Glocks are notoriously reliable, and parts and accessories are easy to find.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Pros:
    invisible to airport security
    cleans up nicely in dishwasher
    will function after being dipped in molten lava

Cons:
    DEA agents are the only ones professional enough to carry the .40 cal version

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pros and Cons of Glock vs. 1911??

Oh boy. . . .

Anyone wanna toss an XD in the mix here? :D

To the OP- there are many pros and cons, and even those depend on the shooter. If you like the 30, it will serve you quite well. However, I'd be careful in transitioning from 1911 controls to Glock controls.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Glocks are reliable, accurate, and light. Some people don't like that there is no external safety other than the trigger. If you carry one ensure you use a holster that covers the trigger and you will have no problems. I like both the 1911 and Glocks. With no hammer a Glock is easier on my love handles.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Oh, and I have no problems switching between the two.

How can you know this unless you've actually had to use it?

What if, under threat of death, you pulled out the 1911 and immediately pulled the trigger, only to find that the manual thumb safety is still engaged? Or do you practice thumbing off your safety when you draw your Glock too? I'm not criticizing your methods, just curious how you deal with two completely different manuals of arms.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    "How can you know this unless you've actually had to use it?"

"What if, under threat of death, you pulled out the 1911 and immediately pulled the trigger, only to find that the manual thumb safety is still engaged? Or do you practice thumbing off your safety when you draw your Glock too? I'm not criticizing your methods, just curious how you deal with two completely different manuals of arms."

Well I have had to pull both and had no trouble either time. Practice makes perfect and having the good sense of knowing what type of gun you are carrying helps also!:):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well I have had to pull both and had no trouble either time. Practice makes perfect and having the good sense of knowing what type of gun you are carrying helps also!:):

Did you find your muscle memory flicking off a non-existent safety?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    My favorite thing about a glock is the total lack of external safeties.

I heard of a story once of a guy with some sort of DA/SA gun with an external safety (may have been a 1911, maybe a sig/hk/something else) anyway... He wasn't used to it so when he needed it in a self defense situation, he drew and pulled the trigger against the safety over and over again until the bad guy got to him. I didn't hear how it turned out.

Even if this is totally made up, it drives home three points for me.
    1) I like it when I pull the trigger and the gun goes bang. (reliability)
    2) You better be damn sure you know your weapon inside and out.
    3) I have no idea how it will feel being that amped up in a life or death situation so the less complexity the better.

quad50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Logansport
    Going to Indy this weekend, looks like a Glock 30SF will follow me home. Thanks for the input. Got 5 1911's and room for a Glock.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I also switch between carrying a 1911 and a Glock 26 for off duty and to throw another system into it I carry a Sig P220 on duty. I have never had a problem during training with any of those weapon platforms. The only times I have had to draw on any one have come when on duty with my P220 (thankfully have never had to shoot so far).

My thought process on the different systems (and it has worked for me so far) are when releasing the slide on a new mag (during mag changes). The Glock and the 1911 mag stops are close to the same positions but big difference in the size of them and the Sig's is in a different position, I have trained myself to release the slide by the slingshot method to insure no "muscle memory problems" for that operation of the gun.

As far as the "sweeping" the non existent thumb safety issue, I can honestly say that has never been a problem for me. I have never found myself doing that during training scenarios or qualifications. I guess I can also attribute that to training.

I do see the validity of sticking with the same gun platform, but if someone chooses (like I do) to go a different route, then training and more training is imperative to insure you operate the gun you are carrying properly.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just had a chance to shoot a Glock 30. The first Glock I've ever shot, always been parcel to 1911"s. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of a Glock. Kind a got the bug for one. Thanks
    By this post you'll probably have seen everything that i might bring up, but to sum things up, Glock's model 30 is:

1. scarily accurate
    2. extremely reliable
    3. capable of holding a large amount of firepower (for a pistol) in a package
    that is still easy to conceal.
    4. low recoil
    5. exceptionally tolerant of poor maintenance and bad treatment in general.
    6. cheap enough so that if something happens to it it's not the end of the
    world.
    7. quick to get into action

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ahem, back to the subject at hand....

If you have the bug to buy a G30, please exercise it, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you go to a shop where you can compare the standard 30 to the 30SF. Many people find the slightly shorter trigger reach an improvement in ergonomics. It is becoming Glock's most popular 45. I can vouch for the fact that it is no problem to carry IWB. Just put 200 rounds through mine this morning.

daddysmallbucks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    SE Marion Co
    Glock

Feels good to grip, No-Fuss Safety, Very Easy to clean, Reliable, and everybody has one. And if they don't they're a Wanker!:patriot:'!
    I have 3 and buying another On Friday...

Top Bottom