• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Oh, I'm sorry! I suppose that I don't quite know what the question is then.

I suppose this might be the real question... Girl or gun?

Reasons to keep the gun and ditch the girl:
    • You would be unemployed without the gun.
    • The gun can keep you safe at night
    • The gun will look and act the same in 50 years (If cared for properly)
    • The gun will never nag you
    Thank you Dburkhead for keeping this thread on track and offering the OP some of the best advice given so far. Where would we all be without your sage advice?

Man this has nothing to do with ditching gun or girl. I'm not planning on ditching either of them. I can't live without either of them, even though you did make a couple good points :):.
    Again I just wanted some advise on ideas on what common ground that I could meet her on.

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    Michiana and gglass don't really care what the question is. They just want to insult you for choosing to oc. Ignore them and read replys like the one provided by clt46910.

I also have had a couple girlfriends in the past who weren't keen on the idea of me having a gun let alone oc with her around. I worked my way around it by concealing the gun at first and letting her know I enjoy to shoot and hunt early on in the relationship. As a little time went along I would bring up the idea of teaching her how to shoot someday. I'd talk to her for just a couple minutes about guns, safety, and personal responsibility for protecting yourself and your family (with reference to her responsibility to protect her children... not just my responsibility. You must be very careful not to give the impression you are lecturing her). In each case, she would eventually come around and ask me to take her shooting. Once I was confident she trusted me and had finally broke free of the brainwashing of the anti-gun idiots, I began open carrying around her.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Once you get them to the range, you're pretty much home free! I've yet to find someone that didn't enjoy a couple hours at the range..

I will note, though, that you should consider saving towards a smaller firearm as well. If you're carrying a firearm for your job, I'll assume that you probably do so out of necessity and have a real chance of having to use it someday.. what if it fails?? Every person that I know who carries a firearm for their job carries a backup. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you - I've been carrying a Glock 17 for years - but I also have smaller options available to me should I need them.

Back on topic, though..

Have you discussed this with her yet?? Is she anti-firearm period, or anti-carry, or anti-open-carry?

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Meet her half way

If you want to carry and cant CC, buy a "Man Bag" to stash you iron and see if she minds you carrying that when she is out with you. She can even help you pick it out and don't forget to ask the all important question ...... does this bag make my butt look big?". Just kidding, as many have said CC when you can and try to ease her into it.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Read the first post

Michiana and gglass don't really care what the question is. They just want to insult you for choosing to oc.

QUOTE>>
    Girlfriend "All your doing is bringing attention to yourself and it's embarrassing. I am not going with you if your gonna carry your gun."

Me "Baby doll that's why I bought the gun is to carry it"

Girlfriend "I don't care I'm not going with you if you carry"

A minute percentage of gun owners outside carry which should tell you to listen to your girlfriend. I am just confirming what the girlfriend said; she is a very smart young lady. I did answer the question.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Michiana and gglass don't really care what the question is. They just want to insult you for choosing to oc.

QUOTE>>
    Girlfriend "All your doing is bringing attention to yourself and it's embarrassing. I am not going with you if your gonna carry your gun."

Me "Baby doll that's why I bought the gun is to carry it"

Girlfriend "I don't care I'm not going with you if you carry"

A minute percentage of gun owners outside carry which should tell you to listen to your girlfriend. I am just confirming what the girlfriend said; she is a very smart young lady. I did answer the question.

:dunno:

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have you discussed this with her yet?? Is she anti-firearm period, or anti-carry, or anti-open-carry?

Well what I've posted was pretty much what we've discussed. I am planning on talking with her though hence forth this thread. And I don't think she is anti gun because she does like to hunt. :rockwoot:THANK GOD!!! But I really think it's the OC thats the problem.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield

Ever think of getting a smaller gun and quit making your girlfriend (and most other people around you) think you are a jerk? You can buy compacts in .40 and .45., you don't need a personal protection gun in a large frame.

How is that answering my question. I was asking for advise not someone to pretty much call me a jerk. Common decency man.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Tell her to carry the gun in her purse for you :-) Then she won't be embarrassed.
    Have a heart to heart sit down. It seems to me that she really is uncomfortable with you carrying a large weapon. Not agreeing with above statements, but trace down the exact issue at hand.

Does she really hate guns? Why?
    Is she scared that you are a carrying? Or is it that she doesn't like that you are OCing?

Get those two questions answered and go from there. IMO, relationships are about making compromises. She doesn't want you oc'ing a big gun. You won't go without protection for you and her. Consider your options of CC.

As well, the sit down could have a different outcome. Perhaps she is just scared and uncomfortable, not necessarily 'embarrassed' Ask her if she was comfortable around guns and you could train her and show her how safety is your number 1 priority even handling a firearm, she can become more comfortable. My fiancee hated my guns even being out before I took her shooting. By the third time out shooting, she was comfortable with the idea of getting her LTCH and throwing 'her' makarov in the bottom of her purse.

The biggest advice is figured out REALLY what she doesn't like. Girls never actually say what their thinking, unless you ask the right questions. ;-) Goodluck

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I really cant believe some of the posts in this thread. It seems like gun owners are always attacking each other. OC vs CC, Glock vs XD, 9mm vs 40 vs 45...c'mon guys. we are a community that needs to stick together and help each other out. DocGlock did not want anyones opinion on if he should be OCing. We wanted advice from his fellow gun owners who may have been in this situation before. Unfortunately i have not walked this road before and will be reading others advice as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife loves to shoot, loves guns, is an ardent supporter of the right to keep and bear arms, but does not like open carry. She doesn't mind "casual carry," like when I'm carrying OWB with a vest that just screams "gun," but she doesn't like open carry. She says whether or not I've got a gun is no one's business but ours.

So, I CC. I think it's tactically superior to OC anyway. The biggest practical advantages I see to OC are comfort, making a political statement, and desensitizing the sheeple. I'll limit my OC to being in the woods, for the most part. But, even if I wanted to OC, I'd bend on this issue, because it's not a fight worth having. I'll just remind her of it when she gets her Indiana LTCF in, and starts trying to carry that big ass 1911 around somewhere besides our property :D

If your girlfriend won't bend enough to not be ****** about CC, you've got a girlfriend displaying distinct control issues, which will make your life hell in the long run. That means tough choices.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I really cant believe some of the posts in this thread......... DocGlock did not want anyones opinion on if he should be OCing..

My post was solely advice to figure out the source of the problem. If you are only willing to open carry, and her exact problem is with open carrying.... there isn't really a solution there. That's why I advised talking to her to find the source of her problem with it, whether it's guns in general, or OC. Find the source of the issue, make her comfortable with that, then go for OC. Baby steps.

If he wants advice on how to convince her to be ok with open carrying, I have none. That's not really how things work...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

CC disadvantages:

Pain in the rump to find clothes that won't print
    Scares the hell out of the sheeple when they see a hidden gun
    Sometimes means you have to carry smaller, harder to use, or less effective guns, or risk printing
    Means you can't always wear the most comfortable clothes in the summer
    Means you can't buy clothes that actually fit. They've gotta be big enough to hide your gun. Or, again, you have to carry a less effective gun.
    Provides no deterrent to crime. Bad guys have no reason to know or believe there will be an armed response to their crime.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I know the best agreement is to CC but I wear smaller type T-shirts and sometimes it is hard to conceal a bigger type hangun.

Safety trumps fashion in my book. Most people can conceal most any service size weapon with a good IWB holster and an appropriate cover garment. Besides, even if you "print" a little, it will still go unnoticed by the vast majority of people out in public. It certainly will never draw the attention that a fully exposed weapon will, even if only partially covered.

Maybe she'll chip in for a smaller pistol? You might be overlooking an opportunity here. :)

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Goodcat your post didn't offend me. I appreciate everyone who gave advice for the good of the relationship. Those (not pointing anyone out) who wanted to make this a debate about OCing or CCing needs to find the right thread and people who are willing to argue that debate.

I personally believe it's a matter of choice. Either way is not illegal for the most part.

I think I've gotten good information that I'm going to try to use, so this thread no longer needs to be open. I like what Tommy2Tone said "we are a community" and as far as I'm concerned an INGO family. I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks again INGO friends. :cheers:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom