• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Welp there is some friction in my house today.

I just got back into the dating world oh probably in Oct of last year. She is a great woman and I love her to death. :wwub: I haven't had a handgun for a few months due to some medical bills coming in that I had to pay off. Well just a few days ago I went ahead and got me another one. I knew that my girlfriend is not a big fan of guns but I didn't not realize how much until yesterday.

We were getting ready to head out to Wal-Mart. :spend: And I was strapping my gun to my hip and she flipped the freak out.

Girlfriend "Your not wearing that guy out in the public are you?"

Me "Why yes dear because there is nothing illegal about OCing, and it is solely for protection."

Girlfriend "All your doing is bringing attention to yourself and it's embarrassing. I am not going with you if your gonna carry your gun."

Me "Baby doll that's why I bought the gun is to carry it"

Girlfriend "I don't care I'm not going with you if you carry"

Due to the fact that I love her sooooo much :rolleyes:, I did not carry but I did tell her that we were going to discuss this and come to some type of agreement.

I know the best agreement is to CC but I wear smaller type T-shirts and sometimes it is hard to conceal a bigger type hangun.
    I sure hope I'm not the only guy who has this happen to if not give me some advice PLEASE!!!!! lol

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, boy. Yep.

CC for a bit and see if she calms. If she does not, then you get to make hard choices...

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    For what its worth my wife does not like OC either. She puts up with it every now and then, but would much rather not have it in view of the public. I have heard the "your not going out like that" line plenty of times before. She also has her LTCH and usually has an LCP in her purse, and has zero problem with guns. Its an image thing, and I don't see her getting over it any time soon.

Good luck... and let us know if you figure out a magic solution.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    My wife isn't a big fan of guns either. She was not raised around them so it has been a bone of contention at times. I agree with the person that said just CC for a while and try to get her more used to the idea of you carrying.

Personallly I don't OC, never been a fan of it. It's a personal choice though.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    OC brings a lot of unwanted attention. If you are the kind of person who craves unwanted attention, full speed ahead! =]

I didn't start this thread for a OC vs CC debate

I don't do it for attention. Like I said in the starter, sometimes I wear tighter t-shirts and carrying a full size it's pretty impossible for me to conceal the gun. When I do have an outfit that permits it I do CC just because it's I'm more comfortable with it.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Suggestion

I didn't start this thread for a OC vs CC debate I don't do it for attention. Like I said in the starter, sometimes I wear tighter t-shirts and carrying a full size it's pretty impossible for me to conceal the gun. When I do have an outfit that permits it I do CC just because it's I'm more comfortable with it.

Ever think of getting a smaller gun and quit making your girlfriend (and most other people around you) think you are a jerk? You can buy compacts in .40 and .45., you don't need a personal protection gun in a large frame.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ever think of getting a smaller gun and quit making your girlfriend (and most other people around you) think you are a jerk? You can buy compacts in .40 and .45., you don't need a personal protection gun in a large frame.

LOL. You guys got me, I went out and bought the biggest freakin gun I could and OC it because I'm a HUGE attention seeker and BIGGEST jerk around. Gotta love it

Actually I got a full size and carry a full size because I started a job where they require it and I don't have money to have a second smaller gun.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    My wife doesn't care if I OC. All she cares about is that I'm carrying a gun (yes, she's happy that I carry). Nobody else cares when I OC either.

Anyway, for the whole relationship thing, if your priorities are that far from hers, it's time to reconsider, either your priorities or your relationship. You know that carrying is the right thing to do. Is she the right person? That's for you to decide. My answer to that question would be no.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    There are only upsides to CC and quite a few downsides to OC, so I would find a way to do the former.

OC disadvantages:
    You may lose your relationship your girlfriend
    No element of surprise with the bad guys
    It is inevitable that you will be hassled by business proprietor
    It is inevitable that you will be hassled by LE

CC disadvantages:
    None

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    There are only upsides to CC and quite a few downsides to OC, so I would find a way to do the former.

OC disadvantages:
    You may lose your relationship your girlfriend
    No element of surprise with the bad guys
    It is inevitable that you will be hassled by business proprietor
    It is inevitable that you will be hassled by LE

CC disadvantages:
    None

I'm not going to go into it here since there already exist several threads on OC vs. CC and since the OP has asked that this not be another one. I suggest you take this to one of them where I will be happy to dispute your list with you.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not going to go into it here since there already exist several threads on OC vs. CC and since the OP has asked that this not be another one. I suggest you take this to one of them where I will be happy to dispute your list with you.

Thank You.
    I just wanted advise from somebody who's walked down this path when you carrying starts friction in a relationship. And taking some of ya'lls advise I will try and do the CCing when I can and try to dress more appropriate for it.

Like a very smart man quoted once "If momma's not happy nobody's happy."

:cheers: Cheers

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

Oh, I'm sorry! I suppose that I don't quite know what the question is then.

I suppose this might be the real question... Girl or gun?

Reasons to keep the gun and ditch the girl:
    • You would be unemployed without the gun.
    • The gun can keep you safe at night
    • The gun will look and act the same in 50 years (If cared for properly)
    • The gun will never nag you

Thank you Dburkhead for keeping this thread on track and offering the OP some of the best advice given so far. Where would we all be without your sage advice?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I was dating a girl last summer that was not happy about firearms at all. Even CC made her nervous. I just sit down with her and discussed why I carried and kept firearms. Took her out with a nice Smith Mod 19 2 1/2 inch with low powered .38's. Had her shoot from 7 feet to make sure she hit the target. After some discussion and a few more trips to the range, she was looking at holsters to match her outfits.

Just talk to her calmly and maybe get her to try it. Make sure it is not a surprise or trauma thing. Make it as mild and pleasant as you can.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The disadvantages of OC are as follows: just kidding :P

Seriously, this sounds alot like the "discussions" that my wife and I have had about guns. She was raised thinking guns were from the devil and just a negative thing all around. It has taken me years to help her understand why I like guns and why they are important. Now, even now she would probably not like me OC'ing at all because she is not used to it (I never do it). But if I decided to start OC'ing it would be the same process all over of getting her comfortable with the idea. It sounds like you are pretty serious with this lady so you are just going to have to see if you can change her mind on the issue or whether it is always going to be a source of tension.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    It took a while for my wife to get used to me having firearms in the house. We met while both working for a YMCA with a daycare facility (no firearms) so she didn't really know. And I'm a pretty convincing CCer, so even out on the town she didn't know I was carrying.

Now she's claimed her own 9mm and likes to go to the range..

Some won't understand, though, and you either need to compromise or move on. Or buy some looser shirts, man!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom