• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Have plenty of Glocks, did the Armorer courses even got a 4 star rating at a Glock Opetator course They work BUT personally I don't shoot them nearly as well as Sig P series, Betettas, M&Ps or Revolvers.

That said I'd keep a couple just because they are easy to find anything for.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was in the same position a year ago, heavily invested in the Glock 19 platform. I carried it for years, had thousands of rounds with it, multiple training classes and several holsters. The only problem was that I never really shot it all that well.

Several years prior I had shot a HK VP9 and had the same experience you did with the S&W. The VP9 felt like it was made for my hand and I hit what I was aiming at with relative ease compared to the Glock. But I felt that I was too invested in the Glock to make a switch so I stubbornly kept carrying it, despite being a mediocre shooter with it.

Fast forward to a year ago and I took another defensive pistol class with the Glock. I was not happy with my performance and found myself constantly milking the grip. It just really didn't feel comfortable in my hand at all. I finally admitted to myself that life is too short to carry and train with a gun I don't love shooting. I made the decision to switch to the VP9 and sold off everything Glock 19 related in one package. (I wish I would have kept some of the mags, but that's another story.)

I now have two VP9s and could not be happier with the decision to switch. I'm still not a crack shot by any means, but I at least have a gun I like enough to put in the practice time to get better with it.
    I had the same issue, 19 just felt a little short in the grip area.. Solved it by Hi gripping and adding the Magpul magwell extension.. I've somewhat transitioned to the 19X/45 platform now simply because of the grip suits me better.
    As everyone else said, shoot what feels good in your hand and points naturally for you.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If I had to pick between the 2 platforms, I'd go with the M&P. I've got both, and find the M&Ps to be superior in feel and shootability. Very easy to make accurate hits with. I basically own a couple of Glocks as utility guns, and only because I can buy them new fairly cheap with blue label pricing. If I had to pay full price for a Glock, I probably wouldn't own any. Possible exception is my G48 with Shield Arms S-15 mags. I do like that one. Every other Glock model is just "meh" to me. Having owned several Glocks, they are always the first to be sold or traded if I wanted something else.
    Last time I was in Parabellum I noticed they had some "first responder" only M&Ps. They are not as heavily discounted as the blue label Glocks but every little bit helps and I didn't realize that S&W had that type of program. I was told that anyone with a DD214 also qualifies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Glock is one of the few striker fired pistols I have not personally owned. I've shot a few though. I own M&P's. The first M&P I bought was shooting low and left. I was a newish shooter and blamed it on the gun when it was my fault. I sold it. Then I went on a journey over several years buying and selling striker fired guns only to come almost full circle back to the M&P. I say almost because this time I went with the 2.0 Compact. My first was a 1.0 full size.

I would keep what you have, get some time with the Smith's. Then down the road a bit, if they are just sitting in the safe, sell them. Plus, having a Glock allows others to see if they like the platform before buying. You will be doing someone a service. And Glocks are really good pistols.

I don't keep extra items but it's nice to have something in case you want to take someone with you to the range. They will have something to shoot.

I'm an introvert, so that's not an issue for me. :)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Last time I was in Parabellum I noticed they had some "first responder" only M&Ps. They are not as heavily discounted as the blue label Glocks but every little bit helps and I didn't realize that S&W had that type of program. I was told that anyone with a DD214 also qualifies.
    Yep, Beech Grove Firearms has the same thing. Several M&Ps in stock as of a couple of days ago. Also discounted SD9 and SD40 models. I think the M&Ps are mid $400s or so, depending on model.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Times change, WE change-eyesight, flexibility, muscle strength...
    I had the same thing happen between Glock and HK. I could sure shoot that HK, but it was easier to shoot the same scores(or better) with the Glock-silly for me not to change.
    There are sooo many new choices out there- good pistols that get overlooked. Try 'em all- that's my advice.
    As for selling yours, well a blue label 9, 357sig, 40 are what? 425? 10's and 45's not much more. You can always get back in.
    You ain't gonna get rich off old glocks- not when new ones can be bought that cheep.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you are more comfortable and confident in the m&p make the switch. It's a good time to unload some glocks, but not a great time to be looking for new pistols. Maybe keep whichever glock you carry the most until you aquire and gain confidence in a m&p. I would keep any standard capacity mags as they may become more valuable in the near future.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    To start I’m a 1911, HP and CZ guy to the core, but I’ve had my far share of G pistols. I bought one of the first G17s in the area back in 86 or 87 and remember all the ribbing I got about buying a “Tupperware” gun. It actually came in a Tupperware type box. I shot the heck out of it and then came the 19 and 26. The 26 was my “floorboard” gun for a long time. Hey, it was small, light, had a lot of bullets and was ugly as sin new so who cared if it got dirty or scratched up. Then the 21 and 30. I can shoot my 1911 and G Pistol with the same ammo and 13 rounds of 45 in one gun!!! It was something back then. Next was a 20 in 10mm and boy I was in love! Then naturally I HAD to have a 29. One of my favorites was the 33, what a hot rod it was! The 33 could also be a .40 cal with a simple barrel swap too. Anyways, for me at least, the way I shot the Glocks compared to my other guns was just different and as I got older I tried to consolidate platforms and calibers so the Glocks went away. Didn’t have one for years but picked up a 10mm a couple years back and had the grip ground and stipled and what a difference that made! I can really shoot that gun. Then came a G40 with a RMR and recently got a 29 and a 45. I love the 10mms and the Gen 5 45 is a really nice gun. I love the 19 slide on a 17 frame and all the Gen 5 changes Glock made to itI doubt I’ll get any more Glocks but I’m glad I have the ones I have. I EDC the 20 occasionally but normally it’s a CZ P01 or Walther PPS M2, or a HP, or sometimes a P7.... Oh Hell, that’s a whole different story. So OP, buy, shoot and carry what you like and are good with. If it comes down to finances, trade things you don’t use for something you might use, works for me.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I don't like glocks at all. I do have a 4th gen 19. Its like a hammer in the kitchen junk drawer. Probably don't need it in there but it may come in handy one day. But to the question you should do what makes you feel right and if you can afford it keep em and add to the collection. The more the merrier if not sell em and get what you like. Not like you can't get another glock one day. There's like 10 million of them out there.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My first experience with Smith vs Glock was a few years ago when I rented a 1st generation Shield 9mm and Glock 43. I fired the Shield first and found the pistol to shoot quite well and there was really nothing I disliked about it. Up next was the G43 and after firing the Shield the Glock trigger felt terrible. As such I did not shoot it well. So I shortly thereafter ordered a 9mm Shield and later a 45 Shield.

A guy at the range let me try his G43 later and the trigger was much better than the one I rented. Perhaps the one I rented was not the norm. I did end up with a few Glocks later , G42 and G48. And later picked up Gen 5 G34 MOS with the blue label program. Have a 4th Glock on the way , a 43X MOS.

So I have room for both Smith and Glock.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My first experience with Smith vs Glock was a few years ago when I rented a 1st generation Shield 9mm and Glock 43. I fired the Shield first and found the pistol to shoot quite well and there was really nothing I disliked about it. Up next was the G43 and after firing the Shield the Glock trigger felt terrible. As such I did not shoot it well. So I shortly thereafter ordered a 9mm Shield and later a 45 Shield.

A guy at the range let me try his G43 later and the trigger was much better than the one I rented. Perhaps the one I rented was not the norm. I did end up with a few Glocks later , G42 and G48. And later picked up Gen 5 G34 MOS with the blue label program. Have a 4th Glock on the way , a 43X MOS.

So I have room for both Smith and Glock.
    From what I've been told early Glock 43's didn't have particularly good triggers. Both of my 43's had what I'd consider good triggers. I had an acquaintance who worked at a gun shop comment that my Glock 43's had very good triggers compared to his when I had him installing night sights on them.

That said, my issues were more in the ergonomics than triggers, especially with the 43's.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My first pistol was a G17 for the home. This year I picked up a Walther PPS M2 as a carry because of all the similar size pistols I shot it felt the best. First time I took both to the range I was much more accurate with the PPS by a wide margin. Now I am wanting to replace the glock. Tried the PPQ and don’t shoot it as well as the PPS. Have shot a couple all metal pistols and now think I want a DA/SA all metal hammer fired weapon. Trying to find a CZ 75 SP-01 To shoot as the ones I have handled felt really natural in my hand.

i bought the glock originally for their rock solid reliability, cost, etc. but there are lots of quality pistols to choose from so I am going to find one the fits best.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really appreciate everyone’s insight. I think I’m going to put my G43X package up for sale in the classifieds soon. More than likely I’ll keep the G45 and G17 mags just to have it around the house and to stay proficient with the Glock mechanics.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My first pistol was a G17 for the home. This year I picked up a Walther PPS M2 as a carry because of all the similar size pistols I shot it felt the best. First time I took both to the range I was much more accurate with the PPS by a wide margin. Now I am wanting to replace the glock. Tried the PPQ and don’t shoot it as well as the PPS. Have shot a couple all metal pistols and now think I want a DA/SA all metal hammer fired weapon. Trying to find a CZ 75 SP-01 To shoot as the ones I have handled felt really natural in my hand.

i bought the glock originally for their rock solid reliability, cost, etc. but there are lots of quality pistols to choose from so I am going to find one the fits best.
    The P01 is an excellent pistol and I shoot mine very well, at least in my mind. It is just the right size for EDC and has a decent amount of aftermarket parts and mags available. Mine is a decocker which I had to get used to but now it’s second nature to me.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So I’m considering selling my Glocks to purchase Smith & Wessons. I started shooting on Glocks, and for the most part I can hit what I’m shooting at. But then I bought a S&W Shield 2.0, and I simply can’t miss with it. With my Glocks, I always have to really focus to hit what I’m aiming at, but with this Shield, it’s almost like I make solid hits, quickly, just by looking at the target. Then, I bought a 5” M&P9 2.0, and the same thing happened....when compared to my full-sized Glocks, I shoot it noticeably better. Well, maybe not better, but much EASIER.

I have a relatively rare Glock 21SF with a picatinny rail (which I’ve been hesitant to get rid of), as well as a G43x with Shield Arms magazines and a G45 in 9mm, plus a bunch of G17 mags. Basically, I’m invested enough in the Glock platform to where I’m hesitant about completely switching over....but I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be worth making the switch.

I’m interested in hearing the opinions and insight of the forum members regarding S&W vs Glock, and if you’ve had any similar experiences.

Glocks are of that rare category of firearms that actually depreciate in value.

If you want some help, I would be willing to take them off your hands at 50% of your original purchae price and save you from further depreciation. I could end up losing a fortune, but I'm an altruistic soul.

PM me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glocks are of that rare category of firearms that actually depreciate in value.

If you want some help, I would be willing to take them off your hands at 50% of your original purchae price and save you from further depreciation. I could end up losing a fortune, but I'm an altruistic soul.

PM me.
    If only more INGO'ers were like you...

Top Bottom