• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So I’m considering selling my Glocks to purchase Smith & Wessons. I started shooting on Glocks, and for the most part I can hit what I’m shooting at. But then I bought a S&W Shield 2.0, and I simply can’t miss with it. With my Glocks, I always have to really focus to hit what I’m aiming at, but with this Shield, it’s almost like I make solid hits, quickly, just by looking at the target. Then, I bought a 5” M&P9 2.0, and the same thing happened....when compared to my full-sized Glocks, I shoot it noticeably better. Well, maybe not better, but much EASIER.

I have a relatively rare Glock 21SF with a picatinny rail (which I’ve been hesitant to get rid of), as well as a G43x with Shield Arms magazines and a G45 in 9mm, plus a bunch of G17 mags. Basically, I’m invested enough in the Glock platform to where I’m hesitant about completely switching over....but I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be worth making the switch.

I’m interested in hearing the opinions and insight of the forum members regarding S&W vs Glock, and if you’ve had any similar experiences.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Keep them all. Guns don’t eat anything. But if you need some funds ditch the 43x and shield mags. That is a pretty popular model right now. Otherwise the G21 let’s you shoot a different popular caliber and the G45 is just a nice extra 9mm to have laying around.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So I’m considering selling my Glocks to purchase Smith & Wessons. I started shooting on Glocks, and for the most part I can hit what I’m shooting at. But then I bought a S&W Shield 2.0, and I simply can’t miss with it. With my Glocks, I always have to really focus to hit what I’m aiming at, but with this Shield, it’s almost like I make solid hits, quickly, just by looking at the target. Then, I bought a 5” M&P9 2.0, and the same thing happened....when compared to my full-sized Glocks, I shoot it noticeably better. Well, maybe not better, but much EASIER.
    That is because S&W intentionally molded their M&Ps and Shields after the greatest handgun ever built.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My experience has been similar. I shoot the M&P 2.0's and the Sig P320's much better than Glocks. I've kept a couple of Glocks (19's) because everyone should probably have a couple, but shed all the rest especially my 43's in favor of P365's. I was heavily invested in the Glock platform, now it's just a moderate investment while taking the funds in other directions that perform much better in my hands.

I shot the Glocks OK, but it just seems easier for me to shoot better with the others.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I would stick to what you shoot best, but at the same time if you don't need the find, keep both. Either way. If the price is right, I'll be keeping an eye out in the classies as well. Lol

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If I had to pick between the 2 platforms, I'd go with the M&P. I've got both, and find the M&Ps to be superior in feel and shootability. Very easy to make accurate hits with. I basically own a couple of Glocks as utility guns, and only because I can buy them new fairly cheap with blue label pricing. If I had to pay full price for a Glock, I probably wouldn't own any. Possible exception is my G48 with Shield Arms S-15 mags. I do like that one. Every other Glock model is just "meh" to me. Having owned several Glocks, they are always the first to be sold or traded if I wanted something else.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I was in the same position a year ago, heavily invested in the Glock 19 platform. I carried it for years, had thousands of rounds with it, multiple training classes and several holsters. The only problem was that I never really shot it all that well.

Several years prior I had shot a HK VP9 and had the same experience you did with the S&W. The VP9 felt like it was made for my hand and I hit what I was aiming at with relative ease compared to the Glock. But I felt that I was too invested in the Glock to make a switch so I stubbornly kept carrying it, despite being a mediocre shooter with it.

Fast forward to a year ago and I took another defensive pistol class with the Glock. I was not happy with my performance and found myself constantly milking the grip. It just really didn't feel comfortable in my hand at all. I finally admitted to myself that life is too short to carry and train with a gun I don't love shooting. I made the decision to switch to the VP9 and sold off everything Glock 19 related in one package. (I wish I would have kept some of the mags, but that's another story.)

I now have two VP9s and could not be happier with the decision to switch. I'm still not a crack shot by any means, but I at least have a gun I like enough to put in the practice time to get better with it.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was in the same position a year ago, heavily invested in the Glock 19 platform. I carried it for years, had thousands of rounds with it, multiple training classes and several holsters. The only problem was that I never really shot it all that well.

Several years prior I had shot a HK VP9 and had the same experience you did with the S&W. The VP9 felt like it was made for my hand and I hit what I was aiming at with relative ease compared to the Glock. But I felt that I was too invested in the Glock to make a switch so I stubbornly kept carrying it, despite being a mediocre shooter with it.

Fast forward to a year ago and I took another defensive pistol class with the Glock. I was not happy with my performance and found myself constantly milking the grip. It just really didn't feel comfortable in my hand at all. I finally admitted to myself that life is too short to carry and train with a gun I don't love shooting. I made the decision to switch to the VP9 and sold off everything Glock 19 related in one package. (I wish I would have kept some of the mags, but that's another story.)

I now have two VP9s and could not be happier with the decision to switch. I'm still not a crack shot by any means, but I at least have a gun I like enough to put in the practice time to get better with it.
    Why do you wish you’d kept the mags? @MCgrease08

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

Maybe if things calm down, MCgrease08, you can get an H&K SK, all the stuff you love in your VP9, in an easier to conceal package. Just the prices are insane now.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I'm just a gun hoarder....LOL. I'd keep at least one Glock (prefer the 19 and 23s). But I do recommend Sigs, H&Ks, CZs, 1911s, Stars, some Rugers, Smith & Wessons, Berettas....you get the idea. Find a range that allows you to test fire different pistols, take a notebook, or have someone shoot phone footage of your thoughts and impressions at the time of firing. You might be surprised (and later entertained) with the results. I do recommend keeping at least one Glock, 65% of America's police carry Glock, crap hits the fan, you know where to find bang. This comes from the combat perspective, I made sure the guys in our platoon were real familiar with and knew how to hit with AKs and PKM machine guns. It seemed we always had a good supply of the enemies weapons and ammunition to go around if the crap hit the fan.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I had a similar experience. The epiphany was when I was doing speed drills at 7 yards with both a Glock 17 and a then new to me Shield. Despite having put thousands of rounds through the Glock, practicing with it regularly, and maybe only a box or two through the Shield, I shot it quite a bit better at speed.

Glocks just never organically/naturally pointed right for me... I no longer own any.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm a big proponent of "shoot what you like"

So I see it two ways.
    Buy into s&w and keep the glocks, but will the glocks sit in the safe and never get used? If so sell em, if not keep em.

Or based on my own bias:
    Dump glock (eww) and use all that money to buys lots of s&w (yay!)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Keep them all. Guns don’t eat anything. But if you need some funds ditch the 43x and shield mags. That is a pretty popular model right now. Otherwise the G21 let’s you shoot a different popular caliber and the G45 is just a nice extra 9mm to have laying around.
    Hey vert can you just drop a glock 20 10mm barrel into a glock 21 and have a 10mm or is that not possible. They look identical except for caliber.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Do as you wish, I have bought a S&W Shield 9mm. and a S&W M&P .40, to play around with, but I carry a Gen 3 G-23, to me a solar surge would have to occur to melt my Glock polymer frames before I would switch to the Smiths, nice pistols, but Glocks are #1 in my holsters.
    You should have no problem selling yours especially the G-45 and mags, have you looked at Gunbroker, or ARMSLIST lately?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    To the OP, I had a similar epiphany years ago as a new shooter. My first pistol was a Gen4 G17, and I then got a G19 followed by a G26. Solid, reliable, easy to care for, lots of aftermarket support options with holsters, sights and what not. But I *never* shot them well. It wasn't until I ventured into the M&P line (which eventually led me to CZ) that I realized for me it was all about the grip angle. The M&P and CZ options point so much more naturally for me, where every Glock I've ever shot has the gun pointing a little high with my natural aim/stance.

Now is kind of a wonky time to change platforms given the climate. But I agree, life is short. Be bold!

Top Bottom