• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Speaking of humped rifles. I picked up this Yugo M48bo that someone tried to pass off as a Steyr K98. Got if for a Yugo price and it is a nice rifle and I kind of picked it up because of the silly humping. Hard to say why you buy something sometimes.

M48-4_zpsvxsvv7h8.jpg

Thanks for posting that. It shows the degree to which people will try anything to fool you.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Nice! Dang, I need to find better yard sales!

To be fair, it didn't start out like that, but it was a numbers matching piece when I found it. But the stock had been cut down and the corrosive ammo had ruined the barrel. it was so bad, that it was almost closed up in the middle. I brush on a rod in a drill did nothing but wear the brush down. I found a very nice barrel and that stock, I think both on ebay. Re barreled, checked head space, rotated the sights back to where they should be, put it all in the stock and that's it. The markings on the barrel are consistent with what was on the orig barrel, and Im pretty sure I found the correct stock for the year/maker. All of the important parts are matching, and it suits me just fine, and it looks great to me. all in all, I have about $300 in it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Speaking of humped rifles. I picked up this Yugo M48bo that someone tried to pass off as a Steyr K98. Got if for a Yugo price and it is a nice rifle and I kind of picked it up because of the silly humping. Hard to say why you buy something sometimes.

M48-4_zpsvxsvv7h8.jpg
    Totally different furniture on a Yugo M48 than a K98k...the crooks were getting lazy. They could have at least found a Yugo reworked K98k ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is this "hump" business of which you speak??

Humping guns is what gun control advocates claim that gun nuts do.

Any kind of faking numbers or markings to make a rifle more attractive to a less knowledgeable collector. Some are very good but experts that know k98's can spot them right away most times since in some cases it first takes some grinding down before they stamp new numbers giving a slightly different surface than original. The number and marking dies are sold online, some better than others.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

jbranham5173

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    mooresville,in
    You use to could find russian capture k98 all matching , I bought 2 rifles a obendorf and one made Weimar years back when I had my c&r paid $179 a piece for them , they both have all proofs on them. They are out there but your gonna pay top dollar now.keep looking the Russians did not peen them all.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg IMG_0709 (1).jpg Banner.jpg

M98S. Export for Nationalist Chinese, 1936. Mauser banner, some pitting, non matching bolt. Bought in '87 at the Warrick County 4H gun show for $80. Shoots like a champ.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My DOT 44 with the Chinese branding burnt into the stock. It also has a couple of holes drilled into the stock for bipod.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom