Gender specific one person bathrooms... Guideline or rule?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you use the opposite bathroom if it's a single person one?

• Total voters

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I used the ladies' room at Subway yesterday as my boys had to pee and the guys was busy. On a recent trip my son had some trouble in the car and I had to clean him up in the bathroom. Guys was busy so I used the women's one. One person tried the handle, I said "hello", one minute later an employee used a key to unlock and open the door. Not even a knock before unlocking it.

Since we don't follow no-gun signs in Indiana, do we follow gender control signs for single-person bathrooms?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with it personally, but I really don't see anything wrong with it. The whole point of gender specific bathrooms is to prevent peeping, right? So if it's a one person bathroom that rationale kind of goes down the drain. I've seen lots of places with one person bathrooms marked with both genders on the sign.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd hate to leave the aromatic carnage behind in the restroom belonging to the fairer sex, but hey, if it is a three alarm emergency, then its better to say I'm sorry than be sorry. :abused:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I just yell "Don't worry, I'm blind" every single time I walk into any public bathroom. I don't care which one I use even if it has a row of crappers. If I did care, I'd only use the men's room because the "fairer sex" usually has a much more disgusting row of thrones...with the hovering and all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The question was specifically for single-person areas like a small restaurant/gas station. Though at Franklin Aquatic Center they seem to have a unisex multi-stall bathroom in the snack area. I wasn't real sure what to do there. It also has the wide gaps in stall enclosure to make things even more awkward.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It also depends on how busy the gas station is. If someone is camped out in the mens room and the place isn't busy, I'll use what ever is available. If the place is busy, I will wait until it reaches emergency status.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I was at the United Center (Chicago) one day with my wife and kids ... many, many, years ago. We were there for a children's show (non-sporting event). I had to hit the head during one of the intermissions. There was a fair amount of guys in there but some stalls were open and some urinals were open. All of a sudden I hear female voices. Three females come walking in with their little kids. They rush over to two open stalls and start shuttling in the little rugrats to do their business in one of the stalls while the ladies take turns in the other stall. They didn't say a word to the guys or look at anyone. Just rushed in ... rushed out. On my way back to my seat I noticed the line to the ladies restroom was overflowing into the concourse with ladies and hordes of little kids.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have used the female bathrooms before to change my kids. Women get pissy if they have to wait, but when they saw me bringing out a kiddo it subsided. Also, they don't get mad when a man cleans them either for some reason so long as a sign is up and it's closed.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Did it all the time when I was in delivery. Mens always a line but the womens never had a line. Funny after how one person does it, half the line moves to the womens bathroom.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    In the single occupant situation, if there is a ladies room available I will use it if the need is urgent enough. In a multiple occupant situation, I would never knowingly use the ladies room for reasons of discretion. The reason America is so obsessed with gender-specific restrooms is due to our obsession with sexuality. That being said, I did inadvertently enter a ladies restroom one time in an airport. Since restrooms are usually adjacent to one another, as I approached the first entrance I saw the female icon so I proceeded to go around the corner to the other entrance without realizing it also simply lead into the other side of the ladies restroom. Fortunately no one was in there anyways or I am sure I would have immediately recognized my blunder and hot-footed it out of there. On the other side of the equation, I used to be a member of a fitness center which employed a female housekeeping staff and they would routinely clean the male locker rooms while the male (ahem) members were present, including the shower area. I'm not sure which disturbs men more... other men seeing them naked or a female stranger seeing them naked. In any case, I am positive that the reverse gender role would never be tolerated so the only issue I had with it is the perceived double-standard.

What a great topic!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I never did understand the separation by sex when bathrooms were single occupant. The only reason I oppose mixed use in single occupant restrooms is the inability to aim.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I never did understand the separation by sex when bathrooms were single occupant. The only reason I oppose mixed use in single occupant restrooms is the inability to aim.

I have seen the results of many a female 'shooter' who doesn't practice her steady hold factors, 88GT. It's not purely a male issue. :):

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I once had to go so bad that I couldn't handle it anymore. Had the rumbling gut and all, I was standing at the mens waiting for the person in there to finish their business and I couldn't wait anymore. Went for the women's, an employee says "sir, that's the women's restroom". I didn't even break stride while saying "would you rather clean it off the floor". So ya...when I gotta go, I go.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well this doesn't seem to be an issue in Holland and after a few visits I got use to seeing females in the same common area, they all had stalls with doors to the toilets. The first time I walked in and saw two females washing their hands ... I must had the funniest look on my face because they both busted out laughing. I didn't understand what they said, but it must be alone the lines of stupid naive American.

Top Bottom