• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Got a couple 5 in 1 apple trees for 1/2 price.

Never seen apple trees done horizontally (espalier technique) before, but I'm going to give it a try. Got the post set, waiting on some cable.
    IMG_20210616_190513684.jpg IMG_20210616_191537.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well my experiment with different grow lights has come to and end. A damn mouse got in and dug up 1 of the tomatoes and 1 of the jalapenos, so now I don't have anything to compare with.

The jalapenos were just a couple days over 3 weeks old and we're the exact same size. The tomatoes are 5 weeks old and they were also the same size.

So with the conclusion of this very scientific test, I would say that either the multi colored led or a 2200 lm 6500k led light would be sufficient to get the starts ready for planting. If you were growing it to maturity there may be a difference, maybe next year I will try that. IMG_20210619_143642832_HDR.jpg
    The jalapenos you see were grown under the multi colored light, the tomato was under the white light.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My snaps leaves are turning brown. Trying to keep them watered (they are in large pots). Full sun. Normal? They are still producing. Just not as many as I thought. (I need to plant more)
    Peas generally don't like heat as much beans. So pots in full sun, I would expect to be pretty stressful for them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My snaps leaves are turning brown. Trying to keep them watered (they are in large pots). Full sun. Normal? They are still producing. Just not as many as I thought. (I need to plant more)
    It could be a watering issue also. I know some people your direction have been getting a lot of rain, if the pots don't have good drainage then it could be to wet. Trim off all the damaged foliage and don't water until it's dry down by the roots.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I planted snow peas this year for the first time and the plants are starting to get a few pods. Is there a recommended harvesting length for best flavor?

Another question. I planted two rows about 6 inches apart according to the package instructions. The plants ended up tangling together but seem to be happy with lots of blossoms. Is this normal for these plants?
    C0FDAE54-E1F9-4065-81CF-4026E5F017CD_1_105_c.jpeg

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Don't know about the peas. Tried some last year with no luck. Yours are looking pretty good there!

Today I set the 2nd post for a heavy hanging plant support in the wife's flower garden. Tomorrow will strip off the temporary alignment supports after the concrete sets over night, add the cross piece, add some heavy hooks.

In the veggie garden caught upon the daily weeding, transplanted several cherry tomato and chili pepper seedlings. Tied up some more yard long bean vines.
    Right now we've got growing three kinds of potato, four kinds of tomato, three kinds of peppers, two kinds of beans, two kinds of squash, eggplant, Armenian cukes, melons, Chinese cabbage and bok choi. The wife's flower garden is handling most of the herbs.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I planted snow peas this year for the first time and the plants are starting to get a few pods. Is there a recommended harvesting length for best flavor?

Another question. I planted two rows about 6 inches apart according to the package instructions. The plants ended up tangling together but seem to be happy with lots of blossoms. Is this normal for these plants?
    different varieties will get bigger or smaller. But I would start picking around 3-4 inches. You don’t really want the peas inside to start growing much. They plant them like that because the two rows attach and help support each other. The variety I raised this year grew about 5 feet high so I put a fence in next to them to grow up on.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    different varieties will get bigger or smaller. But I would start picking around 3-4 inches. You don’t really want the peas inside to start growing much. They plant them like that because the two rows attach and help support each other. The variety I raised this year grew about 5 feet high so I put a fence in next to them to grow up on.
    Thanks. I was thinking that these would do well next to a fence after watching them grow. Those little tentacles they send out will grab anything they can touch.

What variety did you plant that grew to 5 feet?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

View attachment 144826
    Looks like you have plenty of pods. I'd start sampling the longest ones to get a feel for their taste and texture.

You deserve some fresh garden candy anyway, right?

When the longest ones start to show signs of tough, stringy or peas too big, start taking them and slightly smaller.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks. I was thinking that these would do well next to a fence after watching them grow. Those little tentacles they send out will grab anything they can touch.

What variety did you plant that grew to 5 feet?
    I think these are mammoth melting sugar. Most any non dwarf variety of snow or snap pea will grow tall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The yellow raspberries have been doing well, would like to grow enough of them someday to try making a gallon of wine.

Top Bottom