• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have some horseradish leaves that have ended up skeletonized like those. I was thinking it was slugs?

Mine is sporadic and smaller scale than that pictured above. I throw my coffee grounds in the area to attempt to run off the slugs.

If I had damage like the above, I'd spray with BT and Neem oil alternatively.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have some horseradish leaves that have ended up skeletonized like those. I was thinking it was slugs?
    I had some slug traps out for about a week and didn't see anything, I've also never had slugs anywhere else in the gardens.

It is what slug damage looked like when I started looking into it, but I think expat is right with cabbage worms. I just can't believe I haven't found any or eggs

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I do, but I don't see any worms. Where do I look, and what would you use to get rid of them.
    they can be hard to find because some of them are little and they are the same color as the leaves they are eating. I gave up trying to find rotenone which works well and use sevin when I need to.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Japanese beetles maybe, they are out earlier this year for sum reason. Get Permethrin in heavy duty levels, cleans up most insect problems quickly.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well it looks like Expat was right. I cut open the tied up one and the inside area was loaded with worms and eggs. Although I did think the eggs were not supposed to be in a group. I wouldn't have thought they would hang out in the tied up center, but I guess it makes sense with the heat we've been having.

IMG_20210701_125320540_HDR.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Japanese beetles maybe, they are out earlier this year for sum reason. Get Permethrin in heavy duty levels, cleans up most insect problems quickly.
    As a recent cancer patient, that has some long lasting issues I try to avoid stuff like Permethrin, that's why I use Neem oil (which apparently doesn't work for the worms).
    I may try some pyrethrin and spray it at sunset.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well it looks like Expat was right. I cut open the tied up one and the inside area was loaded with worms and eggs. Although I did think the eggs were not supposed to be in a group. I wouldn't have thought they would hang out in the tied up center, but I guess it makes sense with the heat we've been having.

View attachment 146443
    That's what comes from those cute little white moths flying around the garden.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep. We have a boatload of butterflies, but I don't think I've ever noticed white ones. There were two different color worms, so I wonder if it's not just white moths?
    My worms are the same color as the brocoli. Hard to see until you harvest. I'm pretty sure they come from the white moths.

I have a couple flying around out there now. Need to chase them down with the exterminator...

1625167888421.png 1625167888421.png

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    As everyone said, cabbage worms from the white butterflies. Sevin or Malathion work well on them. If you're looking for an organic method of control, find a spray containing Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt). This typically works better on younger caterpillars.

The article below mentions other ways to help fight cabbage worms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As everyone said, cabbage worms from the white butterflies. Sevin or Malathion work well on them. If you're looking for an organic method of control, find a spray containing Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt). This typically works better on younger caterpillars.

The article below mentions other ways to help fight cabbage worms.

This is pretty organic too...

Attachments

• 20210706_162304.jpg
      20210706_162304.jpg
      4.3 MB · Views: 9

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We planted some indian squash to try, vines keep dying out, kept stuff sprayed , thinking sun was too hot for these plants as it is usually growing corn where it is shadier??

Top Bottom