• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I set up a little experiment in the garage.
    A couple tomatoes and jalapenos grown under different lights to see if one works better.

Left blue/red led grow light
    Right 2200 lumen 6500k led

IMG_20210529_145939241.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The spinach has officially bolted now. Need to cut some more mustards as they look great but no doubt they will bolt with the next heat wave coming. Lettuce has grown back nicely and looks good. My peas haven't bloomed yet. Need to fertilize and hill up the potatoes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My broccoli and cabbage are looking pretty good. Getting some holes in the cabbage leaves though. May need to dust.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    What to plant this late in the year? Just doubled the size of my garden after finally getting rid of the stump that was stopping the expansion. New gardener, trying to learn to vacuum, can, and store fruits and veggies for winter too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What to plant this late in the year? Just doubled the size of my garden after finally getting rid of the stump that was stopping the expansion. New gardener, trying to learn to vacuum, can, and store fruits and veggies for winter too.
    Right now, if you can still find tomato and pepper plants at the garden center, I would go ahead and plant those. Corn and beans should be okay. I wouldnt get corn that has 4 months to maturity. The spring stuff, lettuce, spinach, greens might be tough in this heat. I know some people say they grow them, but mine usually bolt as soon as they come up.The biggest problem you will have at this point would be keeping them well watered. I plant new stuff up until mid summer for fall crops.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The spring stuff, lettuce, spinach, greens might be tough in this heat.
    Yeah lettuces would be rough outdoors right now. We ate our spring outdoor crop up already but when it gets hot like this we grow it in the basement under grow lights. Fall batch will be started from seed in the basement but will be planted outside early to mid September

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Beans, carrots, tomatoes, onions, melons, pumpkins.
    We are starting a new plot for pumpkins now

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Using buckets (some sunk in the ground, some on top), planters and raised beds.
    This week fertilized and watered. Started deepening the soil on a tater bed. Need to rebuild the sides on another one. Put together a perimeter frame for another raised bed and started digging up the turf layer. Started tying up vines on the scarlet runners this week. The yard longs aren't long enough to start tying up yet (replanted after the frost killed them).

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Way behind, still, but did get tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, watermelon, broccoli, cauliflower, and herbs in the new raised beds. The strawberry plants we put in last year have produced quite a bit of very small, but very sweet, fruit.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Happiness is having a three way conversation with a robin and cat while weeding the garden and waiting on pancakes.
    :)

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Any advice for strawberry plantings? We want something easy, possibly raised, that won’t take over the whole yard and rest of the garden. Obviously missed out for this year!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Any advice for strawberry plantings? We want something easy, possibly raised, that won’t take over the whole yard and rest of the garden. Obviously missed out for this year!
    Raised bed is a good idea. You can still plant this year. Early September would be alright

The wife wants one of those tiered planter deals with strawberries, just haven't got around to doing it at this place yet

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Still working on the better 2/3's happy place.
    The gate is hung.
    Still have more enclosure structure to complete (lumber prices are plumb painful).
    Almost all of the concrete work is done.
    Plotting on making a hanging basket support structure with some seriously warped landscape timbers.
    flower garden 2021-06-14.jpg

Top Bottom