• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm never in this thread so might not be applicable.... a friend told me today that Lowes in Greenwood by Madison (and likely others) are so short staffed that they are selling trees, plants, and bushes for $5 each. She said some of the items were priced originally at $100-150 each. The reason they gave is because they don't have enough staff to water them and they would rather liquidate them (pardon the pun) while they are still healthy.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    HARP (my herbivore active resistance project) is blooming.
    This is my ongoing experiment with planters, raised beds and containers, finding out what will be advantageous where we live now. I'm using some hugelkultur techniques, using the underlying composition of beds to decompose materials for next years soil development as opposed to making the long term structures (the real hugelkultur way). Moles and deer seem to be the dominant life forms around here so yeah, I'm working on strategies for both.

2021-06-22 harp.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got my corn hoed, desuckered and fertilized today, since supposedly rain is coming.
    Picked more snap peas, onions, peppers, sour cherries for the daughter while she was visiting.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My zucchini are suffering from blossom end rot. Has anyone been successful at combatting this?

I did a search and read that it is caused by insufficient calcium. One recommendation is to place a few antacid tablets like Tums in the soil at the base of the plant to provide some calcium.

F4D64186-40C2-412F-97E6-9B6749F2BED6_1_105_c.jpeg

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Kalbro’s had everything 1/2 half off as they will be closing for the season. Got a flat of beets and was able to get them planted between showers. Picked up a few yard nik naks also.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My zucchini are suffering from blossom end rot. Has anyone been successful at combatting this?

I did a search and read that it is caused by insufficient calcium. One recommendation is to place a few antacid tablets like Tums in the soil at the base of the plant to provide some calcium.

View attachment 146065
    You are right that a calcium deficiency can cause blossom end rot. I grind up egg shells and add them to the soil, but a calcium tablet will be available much faster.

To much nitrogen can also lead to blossom end rot. Not sure if you're fertilizing, but that's something to watch out for also.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

View attachment 146065
    I have lost some zuchini and a lot more crookneck squash, the same way. Even with the losses, the plants seem to be mostly powering through and producing. I've up the folar feeding with compost tea.

Also been in a fight with squash bugs again this year. Killing the bugs with Dawn water spray and pruning the plants seems to have helped.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    You are right that a calcium deficiency can cause blossom end rot. I grind up egg shells and add them to the soil, but a calcium tablet will be available much faster.

To much nitrogen can also lead to blossom end rot. Not sure if you're fertilizing, but that's something to watch out for also.
    I have not fertilized much this season.

I crushed a small handful of antacid tablets and sprinkled them around the two plants. I did some further reading on this. My source said that while a lack of calcium in the fruit is the cause, it is not necessarily due to soil quality. It may be caused by the plant not taking up enough water to get the required amount of calcium from the soil. My garden is a raised bed and tends to run on the dry side. Water isn't a problem this week but when it stops raining and dries up, I will try to increase the watering around these plants in addition to adding the calcium.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    View attachment 146169

Going on that, shopping for seasonal produce specials to augment your own harvest is a smart and efficient way to go.

Store bought berries (under buck and a half a pound) don't compare well to your own fresh picked for a lot of eating. If you are gonna cook them down though, along with the yummy good-for-you rhubarb, they make a great freezable compote.

20210629_200308.jpg

I use erythritol in place of sugar along with a dab of lemon and lime juice.

20210629_193814.jpg

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ok Great Gardeners of Ingo. I have a question.
    I've been battling something destroying my cauliflower. Have rabbits and deer that frequent the yard, so at first I thought it could be rabbits as it was stripping the leaves. I build chicken wire cages and treating with neem oil. Didn't slow them down, I was gone most of the day yesterday and this morning this is what they looked like.

IMG_20210701_111131856_HDR.jpg IMG_20210701_111145559_HDR.jpg

Thoughts? Advice for next time? I still have 2 plants that could possibly be saved.

Top Bottom