• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey just curious if anyone here on INGO does garage door repairs? Or maybe good recommendations of who to use. Just the other day, one of my garage door springs broke and now it's next to impossible to open the door. As many others here will understand, I'm always cautious of who I let come into my home to do work.
    Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've used Garage Doors of Indianapolis. Just had them replace my door last year. My spring had broken and the door was really old (original door from 1952). They had to order the door, but they installed a "loaner" spring to allow me to keep using the existing door until the new one came in. I was really happy with their work.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I ordered a spring off the internet and replaced it myself. The locals wouldn't sell me a spring for insurance reasons and couldn't get to me for couple days. I always try to do business with locals but sometimes just easier another way.

Reactions: Leo

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

They replaced springs for me about a month ago. Bloomington area. Been around a long time. Very thorough, inspected and lubed everything. Actually took the time to weigh my door and install the correct springs, not just what was on the truck like the last guy. Adjusted the limits on my opener. Reasonable price. Didn't try to over sell. I will definitely use them again.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had a spring break at the old place. I just bought another one at Menards. It was simple to install and adjust.

In case you want to DIY.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    As said earlier replacing springs is pretty easy if they are the older style that run down the track. Torsions springs are a whole nother animal, ive heard they arent much harder, but very easy to get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. My uncle had his hand crushed when he was trying to wind his torsion spring and lost his grip. The tool he was using swung around and hit his hand shattering several bones.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    As said earlier replacing springs is pretty easy if they are the older style that run down the track. Torsions springs are a whole nother animal, ive heard they arent much harder, but very easy to get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. My uncle had his hand crushed when he was trying to wind his torsion spring and lost his grip. The tool he was using swung around and hit his hand shattering several bones.
    Yep. It must be done very deliberately while keeping all fleshy parts clear of the arc that the tool will cut if you lose control of it. Doable, but if you're at all unclear or nervous about the process it's best to simply call one of the excellent recommendations in this thread.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    For sure on the torsion springs. Know what you are doing and have the correct tools.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Garage door springs are very DIY-able but you gotta do your research and watch your videos first. They can kill you dead if you screw up.

Garage door spring installation is doable . . . . BUT ! As was said above, it can cause significant injury if you let the bars get away from you when trying to loosen or tighten the spring.
    I just had my garage door opener replaced. I thought about doing it myself as it was a job a undertook 15 years ago. I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and called 3 or 4 companies. I knew exactly what door opener I wanted ( 1/2 hp with belt drive) so I priced just the opener and installation on the phone.

A couple of places were significantly higher, some couldn’t get there for a week, etc. ended up using a company that quoted a good price, gave a discount for veterans, and could come the next day. This wasn’t an emergency as my opener was still working but noisy as hell and probably on its last legs.

The installer looked over my system and then provided a quote for the door opener and a few other things he suggested. Some I agreed to, some I didn’t.

Make some calls, do your homework, and then have someone else do the installation.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    They have spring kits that you wind with a screw gun. Take all of the ouch out of the install. Get the right spring for your door.

Maybe if you are talking about a big commercial door you wouldn't want to use them, but I am unsure on that even.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I used 1st choice for some customers doors......they done a good job.

The "hard" part of springs to me is you have to know how many turns to put on the spring. Different springs and doors use different turns and tension. I have always used 2 bars, one for a safety and one to tension.....instead of both to tension.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well this door is the one on my attached garage which is just a one car garage. It has the extension springs that run alongside the tracks. I found a set at Lowe's super cheap. So based on videos from the manufacturer it doesn't look too bad. I'm going to go ahead and tackle it myself since I don't have to jack with tension springs.
    Thanks for the info everyone.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I used 1st choice for some customers doors......they done a good job.

The "hard" part of springs to me is you have to know how many turns to put on the spring. Different springs and doors use different turns and tension. I have always used 2 bars, one for a safety and one to tension.....instead of both to tension.
    Last one I put up had the spring painted. Run it til it hits a certain mark and tweak as needed.

I remember using bars to adjust the tension on the old type. Scared the hell out of me while I was doing it. I did the same, one bar to tension and one as a safety. Still scared me tho.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Garage door spring installation is doable . . . . BUT ! As was said above, it can cause significant injury if you let the bars get away from you when trying to loosen or tighten the spring.
    I just had my garage door opener replaced. I thought about doing it myself as it was a job a undertook 15 years ago. I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and called 3 or 4 companies. I knew exactly what door opener I wanted ( 1/2 hp with belt drive) so I priced just the opener and installation on the phone.

A couple of places were significantly higher, some couldn’t get there for a week, etc. ended up using a company that quoted a good price, gave a discount for veterans, and could come the next day. This wasn’t an emergency as my opener was still working but noisy as hell and probably on its last legs.

The installer looked over my system and then provided a quote for the door opener and a few other things he suggested. Some I agreed to, some I didn’t.

Make some calls, do your homework, and then have someone else do the installation.
    We just had ours replaced about a month ago. Was very pleased with the service. Installer looked over everything, lubed up all the necessary parts. The old opener sounded like it was going to explode. New one is as quiet as can be.

Top Bottom