• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The selection and price of the reloading supplies at the Greenwood Gander Mountain are a joke. I can order from Midway, pay the shipping, and still be dollars ahead. When it comes to primers and powder, I make a trip up to Lafayette and go to Sportsman's Warehouse. Many of their reloading powders are $5.00 less per pound than Gander Mountain. They always have a huge selection.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Other than my own ignorance, I've NEVER had a problem at Gander Mountain.

75% of my firearms purchases have been from there...both Castleton and the Greenwood store.

It's MY experience that the gun folks down in Greenwood are heads and shoulders above the folks at Castleton, with few exceptions.

The GW folks are (mostly) all shooters, hunters, and reloaders. Quite knowledgeable and personable. Their 'smithing charges are a little high, but Lee is also a heck of a nice guy.

Just like any other shop and shop employees, everyone has bad days. Stores have busy times and not-so-busy times.

As they say out east "C'est la vie."

-J-

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    When I was at Gander in Terre Haute last week it appeared their gun inventory was down somewhat. Ammunition was still overpriced and handguns were not cheap but other than that, business as normal :rolleyesedit:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've had good experience at the Greenwood location as well. Prices are never great, unless it is a sale (like the two 10/22RRs the are $199.95 till the 15th).

pinpointshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just purchased a Ruger 10/22 RR for $117(after tax) after coupon and $75 rewards checks from credit card points. Everything went great and guys were really nice (evansville location). While doing the paperwork the system did crash but was still taken care of in a timely manner.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Bah.
    Gander can bite me.

The last time my wife and I ventured into our local GM, two associates behind the firearms counter asked if we were interested in anything, and when my wife indicated a pistol she'd like to checkout, they handed it to her then began conversing with each other about another pistol, rudely ignoring both of us. So we just walked out. :dunno:

The only time I visit GM is to conduct business with the gunsmith who is a really nice fellow, or to purchase powder and primers, if and when they have what I want in stock. :rolleyesedit:

cdyptrsn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    angola
    i go the gander mountain in coldwater, and have a lot of bad experiences there. tried to have them buy a muzzle loader from me and the guy up and shut the case as fast and said the don't be the because u cant up a warranty one them. i understand that but when they had use one on the shelf and u usually by a used stuff as is. also i can buy ammo cheaper at wally world or rural king.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i go the gander mountain in coldwater, and have a lot of bad experiences there. tried to have them buy a muzzle loader from me and the guy up and shut the case as fast and said the don't be the because u cant up a warranty one them. i understand that but when they had use one on the shelf and u usually by a used stuff as is. also i can buy ammo cheaper at wally world or rural king.

:ugh:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Ok... so you usually go to the one in Coldwater. You've had a lot of bad experiences there. From there, I think you are saying that you tried to sell your muzzle loader to them but he said no because they can't warranty them?? is that right? And then maybe they have a used one on the shelf already? Seriously, I could not understand that but tried my best to decipher it. And normally when I can't understand it I usually don't even read it but I'm bored right now...

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i went to the gander mt in terre haute last friday and the guy was auctually helpful. GASP! no, really usually terre haute is'nt too bad. overpriced,usually. but the guy managed to bounce between 2 older gentlemen looking to trade a rifle, a yong boy asking about a knife and me needing accesories for my surefire. and never ignored one of us.that and they have a decent used guns section at decent prices.

could be far worse. terre haute gander mt is fine by me

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Gander Mountain in Castleton is generally pretty helpful and knowledgeable. Of course, they're as overpriced as every other GM.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Plus 1 on the Gander in Castleton. Very helpful even when very busy, seem to know what they are talking about, prices are high for the most part, but every now and then I have found used firearms at reasonable prices. Also having the Gander mastercard helps.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have no idea what you are saying based on that message.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have only been to one gander mountain,the Greenwood store. Until a few months ago Lee a gunsmith there was always very helpful. He installed a scope on a nagant,found me a new hammer and firing pin for my k-22 masterpiece(was failing the push off test..ie when it was cocked you could push the hammer forward with your thumb and fire it...not good),and did a great job on a model 70 trigger for me(breaks like glass with about 3.5 lbs pull now). BUT he is now gone :( I never had a bad experince there,but the prices are a little high. It is close and has many things on my wish list lol. Not a bad place to spend 30 min and a few dollars.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    like any big retailer Gander Mnt. is hit or miss on the service..
    I have to say that I had a great experience with the staff at the gun counter @ the greenwood store last week...

My Mother had offered to buy me a muzzle loader for Xmas. But we wanted the Savage 10ml.. almost no one stocks that one , and even less have the stainless w/ wood stock...

The guy @ GM offered to order it in for me , I was not obligated to purchase it..
    He quoted a price.. and it was OK and in line with others.. so i had him order it..

3 days latter he called that it was in.. so we drove down to see it.. and i decided to get it... when he rang it up. it came up $250 less than the quoted price...

:) !!

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have bought two guns from Brad at Gander Mountain in Greenwood. He is a great guy.

I asked him if they make commission and he said "no". That can be good and bad. But my experiences have been good. It isn't quick, though, because they are always busy when I am there.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Posted this in the politics thread, repeated here:

I went to Gander Mountain (Castleton) at lunch. No Evil Black Rifles to be found. The week before the election, they had several Bushmaster and Olympic M4 knockoffs with the telescoping stock and 16" barrells with flash hiders, 1913 rails all over the place, and a Sig 556. All overpriced at $1000 and up. This week, Gone!

They did have several new ARs with free floated heavy barrells, fixed stocks, and way cool real tree camo finish. Same lethality as their evil black bretheren, but a lot more hunting & fishing looking. $1,500 and up
    laugh.gif

Ammo section was crowded and picked over, but they had a lot of everything. Plenty of .223 and 7.62. All overpriced, but it's been that way since copper prices shot up in 2007. Got some Wolf and Some Black Hills to tide me over.

Fred looked busy helping about 6 or 7 folks looking at Glocks and XDs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom