• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    We had so much fun at eagle creek yesterday we decided to go again. I wanted to try more of that Sellier and Bellot ammo, needed some more mini mags and wanted some shoot n' c's. So I went to gander mountain got 100 rds for blazer brass 9mm (shot fine, they didn't have the S and B), 200 rds of CCI Mini Mags, and 50 shoot n' c's (9.99 for 25). Went to the range, shot what was left of an older sleeve of mini mags, and got into the new ones.

They were covered in some sort of wax (that I had never seen on mini mags before). Needless to say the p22 wouldn't shoot them (if i'd seen them before my fiancee loaded them, i never would have let her try).

I know GM doesn't take ammo back, but I thought they would at least try to make it right. No. The guy says, "They all come that way, it's normal". I said "It wasn't normal on the last 500 rds i've put through these guns". And proceeded to check another 1000 or so they had on the shelf still (guess what, no heavy wax, some light, but didn't look un-shootable). I told him I guess I would just order all my ammo online from now on, and told my fiancee we wouldn't be buying the .22 rifle she was looking at, I'd get it from some place that cares about their customers.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I empathize with you about the service, but I'd have to agree the wax might actually be "normal" now. We bought CCI Mini Mags for my Sig at a Cabela's in West Virginia two weeks ago, and they had a little wax on them in spots, too. *shrug* How old were the mini mags you used previously?

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    The 200 I used yesterday I bought yesterday (no wax). The 500 we had at the house I bought at the indy 1500 2 months ago. Did you clean it at all or just use it in your sig? Like I said, the p22's are finicky as it is, and they did not like this stuff (normally they love mini mags).

pinpointshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    All of the mini mags have a little wax on them but occasional boxes have excessive or a higher amount of wax on them. Obviously its not gander moutnains fault they had excessive wax since CCI made them. My experience with Gander Mountain is 50/50, have had some bad stuff happen and there prices on stuff is usally ridiculous in the firearm department but the one in Evansville has nice guys working there and loaded a 780 lb safe I bought quick.

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I agree that it's CCI's fault, but I would think for 6.00 dollars gander mountain would have tossed me a new box, even a coupon, but they didn't even seem to care. Especially considering I'd spent almost 100.00 earlier that day...

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Mark up is unreal, sales staff is weak but friendly, Don't get a "delay" on your 4473 you'll have an 8 day wait....."just our store policy sir". I saw a few people a little "pissed" in the the firearms dept. Castleton Store

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    They always seem to be short staffed... have a friend / mentor who works in the gun department in Castleton, used to run the galyan's gun department, before they were bought out by my current employer :): Thought he might be on this forum... gonna let him know about it and maybe he can lend some insight into why Gander tends to be so expensive and difficult to deal with. Of course without compromising his job...

-K

PS I Love Dick's Sporting Goods ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The Dicks in Bloomington has a mediocre ammo selection, with crappy prices and few accessories. Sad excuse for a gun department if you ask me. Did I mention that the guy who waited on me (actually, I waited for him, but whatever) didnt seem to know the difference between hollowpoints and round nose bullets. I guess history has shown you dont really have to know about guns to work at a gun store.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Not surprised :noway:

The Dicks in Bloomington has a mediocre ammo selection, with crappy prices and few accessories. Sad excuse for a gun department if you ask me. Did I mention that the guy who waited on me (actually, I waited for him, but whatever) didnt seem to know the difference between hollowpoints and round nose bullets. I guess history has shown you dont really have to know about guns to work at a gun store.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Call CCI. Let them know they might have some defective ammo out there. They might want the lot number off the box and might send you some replacement ammo.

A guy at the range was sighting in his slug gun with Winchester Supreme-X siver tip slugs. High dollar premium stuff and I picked one up to look at the design of the slug and thought "wow that is a funny looking slug", then I realized I was looking at the base of the slug. Winchester loaded the friggin slug in backwards. I told him to do what I told you.

Crap happens, even on high-end ammo.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I was at the shop in Castleton a couple of days ago looking for some ammo. Of course they didn't have it and the employee who "helped" me was a dick.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Went there yesterday to look-the same guy I always see there was working

I've yet to get him to acknowledge me as I browse their semi-circular cabinets. If I said something, he might talk, if he wasn't too busy talking about nothing to whomever would listen. I've heard him spout his mouth off to others and I know he's full of it, so I certainly don't trust what he says.

One time, he was leaning against the cabinet, facing away from customers (not just me) twirling his key ring.

Sunday was the kicker. He was behind the counter and the other employee was in front of it. Just for laughs, I stood right in front of and next to them, peering into the cases. I then went to the other side of the employee on my side of the counter.

Blah blah blah...nothing :lol2: I leaned over the one guy's shoulder (I am far taller) to look.

No response :n00b:

No idea what was so important to completely blow off a guy leaning over your shoulder to see merchandise in the case

Impressive...last time I'll waste time there. It was funny, but now it's old news. Same old song and dance :):

Another -1 for Gander Mountain

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No idea what was so important to completely blow off a guy leaning over your shoulder to see merchandise in the case

When you're not the shop owner, you get paid the same whether you sell or not. Why waste all that energy stepping two feet to the left so a customer can see your wares? That's what passes for a work ethic these days.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    When you're not the shop owner, you get paid the same whether you sell or not. Why waste all that energy stepping two feet to the left so a customer can see your wares? That's what passes for a work ethic these days.

You're 100% correct.

I just can't operate that way, though, and it really burns me to see others doing it. I must sound like an old man, but sheesh :wtf:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You're 100% correct.

I just can't operate that way, though, and it really burns me to see others doing it. I must sound like an old man, but sheesh :wtf:

I hate to say it, but "kids these days"... I believe it's a major reason why America is becoming less competitive with the rest of the world. Employees have little or no incentive to do good work and employers feel no loyalty to their employees anymore. When we stopped being Humans and started being Resources, it all started going downhill.

I'm not a business owner (yet), but I'm working on a business plan right now. One of the core elements is a loyalty to employees. There will always be a company picnic, for example, that doesn't consist of a pot-luck chip-in during your lunch break. It may not be a fully catered banquet, but I can't see not being able to at least afford hot dogs for everyone, a softball game for the grownups, and a bouncy castle for the kids. In return, I will expect my employees to give me their best, including going the extra mile for the customer.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    If you are going to the castleton store ask for Fred. He's a friend of mine and is usually a pretty nice guy. he'll give you his opinion usually without asking, but he won't knock yours. Tell him Kyle B. from 276 sent you and he should treat you pretty well.

-K

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    I hate to say it, but "kids these days"... When we stopped being Humans and started being Resources, it all started going downhill...

I'm not a business owner (yet), but I'm working on a business plan right now. One of the core elements is a loyalty to employees.

You're right, except it's not just kids. I know plenty of 40-50 year old people who act the same or worse. I'm surrounded by it at my job right now. To most of them, I'm a "kid", yet I see things far differently than they do.

It makes me think back to the days when I was a business owner as well as why I chose to get out of it.

Recruiting employees was one of the most time consuming, frustrating processes involved in running my companies. Retention wasn't so bad because I established rules and made that known up front. I also treated the people who worked with me (I always said "with" me and not "for" me) as individuals. If a person could better themselves, I was all for seeing them go with a solid recommendation and the knowledge that they could return if their new endeavor didn't pan out.

At any rate, I agree with you on how and why things are falling by the wayside in the US.

Best of luck with your new plans-always exciting to hear about someone going on their own or trying something new

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    The Gander Mountain Store located in Terre Haute is where I visit when I can't buy what I want somewhere else. 'Goose Hill' is really pathetic, because they could be so much more than they are.

Top Bottom