• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Looking for a good game trail camera that sends the pictures to my phone remotely. Does the camera need some kind of subscription to send cellular pictures? Also any suggestions on accessories to go with it.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Spypoint- micro link
    cost= $120
    pictures- are grainy and not high quality
    - monthly plans with no contract(no activation fee)
    - unlimited pics for the month cost $15

my only experience with a cell camera. It’s good enough to scout locations or watch movement on certain trails. If your looking for high quality pics from a cellular transmission to your phone, this is not it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A friend of mine has a Bushnell trail camera with a verizon account. The camera was about $300 but I don't know the monthly on the connection. Verizon has better coverage so that gives you higher confidence that you'll get a signal in the woods where you want to place it. The pictures of his camera I've seen are not grainy and really clear. I think this is the camera he has-

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bushn...JSPZgJRH9D2mftN399AN3976zuUcSSOwaAj3LEALw_wcB

Pics are in near real time, so if you have bad guys on premises it is possible you could get police in there before they're gone.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The Tactacam Reveal is a really nice camera at a very affordable price but their fees per camera are on the high side. We've had good luck with Covert cameras as well, more money up front but the fees are much more reasonable. We used to use Bushnell cameras before the cell cams came about and they seemed to perform pretty well.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I bought Covert Verizon on Amazon for a little over $200. I had it on what I thought was a good trail for a couple weeks with no good photo return. I think the batteries were low and it affected the sending of pics. I pulled the camera a few days ago, put batteries in it this evening, and set it up on a fresh bone pile in my back yard. An hour later I was getting picture texts of a yote dragging the bones through my back yard.(near 10th and Shadeland)

I'm still having a little trouble, on my part, getting the right set up. Triggering of the camera at the right time is not working for me. I am getting pictures of just one end or the other of a deer. I think it is because I am shooting perpendicular to the trails. I am working with focusing in-line with a trail.

You can remotely change settings and I have tried fiddling with that also. You can adjust the trigger speed, sensitivity, and trigger interval. I can also switch to having the photos sent to me in real time, as opposed to seeing them when I log in to the App. You can also remotely request a real-time photo for an added cost of .03 per.

I have unlimited photo service for $20 a month. Way more than I need considering the number of photos I get. There are cheaper plans.

I looked at my memory card from the last couple weeks and there was quite a bit more action captured on the SD card than what was sent to me. I can't explain the disparity. I had good service to the camera. I should have been sent more pictures.

Another thing to note is that this camera only sends the first photo from a video or photo trigger burst. The rest is stored on the SD card for later. Space on the SD card can be remotely monitored. As well as battery life and service signal.

I am liking it so far. There is just a learning curve.

I was a Costco or Sam's(I think Sam's) last week and saw a nice little cell trail cam package for, I think, around $140. I would have bought it to try if I wasn't already trying to familiarize myself with this Covert.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I have seen pics from the Reveal and they look fine to me. Only problem is they are out of stock everywhere but they are only $100 each but not sure about the cell plans. I do know you can pay month to month and not tie in to a long term service plan.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought Covert Verizon on Amazon for a little over $200. I had it on what I thought was a good trail for a couple weeks with no good photo return. I think the batteries were low and it affected the sending of pics. I pulled the camera a few days ago, put batteries in it this evening, and set it up on a fresh bone pile in my back yard. An hour later I was getting picture texts of a yote dragging the bones through my back yard.(near 10th and Shadeland)

I'm still having a little trouble, on my part, getting the right set up. Triggering of the camera at the right time is not working for me. I am getting pictures of just one end or the other of a deer. I think it is because I am shooting perpendicular to the trails. I am working with focusing in-line with a trail.

You can remotely change settings and I have tried fiddling with that also. You can adjust the trigger speed, sensitivity, and trigger interval. I can also switch to having the photos sent to me in real time, as opposed to seeing them when I log in to the App. You can also remotely request a real-time photo for an added cost of .03 per.

I have unlimited photo service for $20 a month. Way more than I need considering the number of photos I get. There are cheaper plans.

I looked at my memory card from the last couple weeks and there was quite a bit more action captured on the SD card than what was sent to me. I can't explain the disparity. I had good service to the camera. I should have been sent more pictures.

Another thing to note is that this camera only sends the first photo from a video or photo trigger burst. The rest is stored on the SD card for later. Space on the SD card can be remotely monitored. As well as battery life and service signal.

I am liking it so far. There is just a learning curve.

I was a Costco or Sam's(I think Sam's) last week and saw a nice little cell trail cam package for, I think, around $140. I would have bought it to try if I wasn't already trying to familiarize myself with this Covert.

We’ve encountered that issue as well. You can use electrical or masking tape to cover part of the motion sensor. We would put a strip down each end to narrow the trigger area. Might be worth a shot, seemed to work well for us in similar situations.

Top Bottom