• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I went 2 weeks ago and would highly recommend it! Great battle scenes/action and I will buy it when the DVD comes out for my collection.

I think the attitudes expressed by the actors/soldiers was realistic to reflect the experiences they were going through! You have to look after yourself and your colleagues above all else and this camaraderie showed through.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have heard there was too much cussing for a WW2 tank crew.
    Everyone knows only the Navy swears like that. :rolleyes:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm a cop, I didn't even notice there was cussing. My 13yr old son (the son of a cop) didn't notice either. I guess cussing mileage varies.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I just saw this movie two days ago... I really really enjoyed it. I found myself yelling when they were trying to circle the tiger.. and shooting and missing. I can relate to the video game feel. I play World of Tanks a lot and see all the noobs do the civil war charge... I didn't notice the swearing either... I am sure it was there but with 12 years in the Army its just a word to get Joes attention.. I didn't use it a lot but there were days that Joe needed to know Sarge was p.o.ed..

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It was a GREAT movie, but there was WAY TOO MUCH firing from the hip. You saw more soldiers fring their weapons from the hip, than you saw aimed shots. Also, did the tank crews never learn to lock their hatches? That was the most unrealistic part of the movie. Well that, and the MG42 shooting a leg in half. However, overall, I think it is the best WWII flick since Saving Private Ryan, and I will purchase a copy when it comes out on Blue Ray. Go see it on the big screen for the full effect, but leave the kids at home.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It was a GREAT movie, but there was WAY TOO MUCH firing from the hip. You saw more soldiers fring their weapons from the hip, than you saw aimed shots. Also, did the tank crews never learn to lock their hatches? That was the most unrealistic part of the movie. Well that, and the MG42 shooting a leg in half. However, overall, I think it is the best WWII flick since Saving Private Ryan, and I will purchase a copy when it comes out on Blue Ray. Go see it on the big screen for the full effect, but leave the kids at home.
    My son caught that. I paid more attention to it and I only saw the guy carrying the .30 cal firing from the hip. I might have missed others though.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Saw it last night. Great movie. I didn't think it had quite the plot or emotional tug of Saving Private Ryan, but was still a solid story line and had GREAT action scenes. Very good attention to detail and as many of the reviews said, had some pretty bloody combat. I would definitely recommend going.

2 Dings against the movie:

Way too much profanity...to the point it was like the writers were trying to break a record for most profanity in a movie. It definitely didn't add much to several of the scenes other than make you think "wow, did they really need 4 F-bombs in that line to make the point?" Add to that the use of profanity in WWII wasn't anything near what was shown in the movie based on accounts of a lot of WWII veterans, and you have another case of writers doing it just to do it.

Some of the tactics in the battle scenes looked like they were based more on video game "suicide rushes" than actual battle tactics that would have been used at the time. Then again, it was a movie and sometimes the best way to get combat is a frontal assault vs. a careful pincer or flanking maneuver. That said, they did have cases where men ran out of ammo instead of unrealistic unlimited ammo scenes. At least they are learning in that respect!

Again, highly recommend seeing the movie...worth the price of admission. Gives you yet another reason to thank a veteran for their service to our country.:patriot:

Guess who isn't a deadwood fan. :):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Just got back from seeing it. Gritty, nasty, f'n AWESOME. Go see it, or I will kidnap you and take you to the theater. If you have any appreciation of WWII, this movie will not just punch you in the face, it will peel your skull, suck out your eyeballs, and have intimate relations with your eye sockets. As many movies as I have seen, I have never had such an experience. The closest I can think of is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", but that just ended intense. "Fury" drags your face through gravel and broken glass all the way through. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and we had a whole generation of young men that did stuff that was simply unimaginable. My admiration grows daily, but I just had a growing spurt.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Saw the movie when it came out 2 weeks ago. I really like WWII movies and it was good, tank battles with Shermans getting hit and trying to flank Tiger was realistic. But it could of been much better. After seeing several interviews of tank crews of WWII I got the feeling there was a bond with crewmen like brothers….in the movie they were at war with each other, and even though some prisoners were killed, not likely a tank crewman going to make someone try and kill a prisoner to prove he can kill……movie could of and should of been better, always some writer screwing things up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, there was camaraderie in tank crews, like there was in bomber crews, but these guys got an FNG that was a clerk/typist, and I can see making him show his colors.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Took my teenagers yesterday. Good movie. I started as a tanker, so I loved it. That German 88 really did wreck havoc on our little Shermans. Those guys that manned them get respect from me. (My uncle is one)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Guess who isn't a deadwood fan. :):

I understand that sometimes some well placed profanity can really emphasize a point or drive home the intensity of the situation. I'm no stranger to it....my college football coach was a gifted individual that could put the F-word in the middle of everything...it really was a talent!

My point about it in the movie where there were a few scenes where I caught myself counting f-bombs more than paying attention to the dialogue.

Still...great movie and I will be buying it when released on Blue-Ray.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, I wasn't there myself, obviously, but I can well imagine the colorful metaphors came pretty thick and fast. If I was in a dramatically inferior tank in a combat zone, there would be no amount of soap that could clean my mouth out.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Seeing this thread resurrect inspired me to put my blu-ray into the laptop, only to realize it doesn't read above dvd. Time to upgrade the optical drive.

Top Bottom