• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I bought it on ITunes as soon as it came out. Great movie. The profanity issue is particularly hilarious considering the director of the movie is a Christian.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's funny to see people spend their money on entertainment only to find the most ridiculous issues to complain about. One of the lessons I took away was to not judge without all of the information. There were many faith lessons to take away from that movie.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It's funny to see people spend their money on entertainment only to find the most ridiculous issues to complain about. One of the lessons I took away was to not judge without all of the information. There were many faith lessons to take away from that movie.
    I agree. As far as I'm concerned the swearing just added to the authenticity. I've never been in the military, but I've worked in plenty of male dominated environments where loose tongues were the norm. I can't imagine a tank being a bastion of virtue and innocence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spend anytime in the insanity of war and I am sure that basic social structure falls apart very quickly.

I liked the movie but some of the things in the final stand off were a bit of a stretch.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    On demand "rented" it in hd. Great movie! I've not so much as Google searched it yet...Iis get that the details were historically accurate but is the general story itself something that happened?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree. As far as I'm concerned the swearing just added to the authenticity. I've never been in the military, but I've worked in plenty of male dominated environments where loose tongues were the norm. I can't imagine a tank being a bastion of virtue and innocence.

I was on a submarine... and we were paragons of virtue.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I watched this several weeks ago and thought it was great... I talked to a really old guy yesterday thought who did that kinda think. He was attached to a tank battalion in the war, and he had a lot of interesting insights. In a lot of ways he liked it, but a lot was also said to be way way to hollywood. I thought it was a very good and sobering movie though.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I think the question some people (myself included) raised was that in the 1930's and 1940's, the use of profanity was much different than today. Both of my grandfather's fought in WWII and I never hear a foul word out of their mouth. They were the typical small town farm boys that made up a large part of the fighting force. I would surmise that from an authenticity perspective, it may be more in line with today's military than that of 80 years ago.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the question some people (myself included) raised was that in the 1930's and 1940's, the use of profanity was much different than today. Both of my grandfather's fought in WWII and I never hear a foul word out of their mouth. They were the typical small town farm boys that made up a large part of the fighting force. I would surmise that from an authenticity perspective, it may be more in line with today's military than that of 80 years ago.

Because you did not hear foul words out of their mouth decades later, at home, in polite company, doesn't mean they didn't swear.
    It's a lot different being around only guys, and doing dangerous deeds.
    I would bet, you change the weaponry around, but man stays mostly the same.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Because you did not hear foul words out of their mouth decades later, at home, in polite company, doesn't mean they didn't swear.
    It's a lot different being around only guys, and doing dangerous deeds.
    I would bet, you change the weaponry around, but man stays mostly the same.

I don't disagree, and am not claiming they didn't ever swear. What I'm saying is that if swearing was such a part of their vernacular back then, I would have expected to have at least hear the occasional $h!t, G-dammit, etc. Swearing like that was simply not as ingrained in folks as it is now. Back then I'd dare say people in general still thought many of those words were "bad words." Now I think it is expected that to prove you are a man, you need to be able to drop F-bombs in the middle of words and sentences.

I'm not trying to argue the point that the entire US military was a bunch of tea totaling prudes that spoke with proper grammar and formal language. I'm just saying that claiming the profanity adds to the authenticity of the movie is a bit of a stretch.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't disagree, and am not claiming they didn't ever swear. What I'm saying is that if swearing was such a part of their vernacular back then, I would have expected to have at least hear the occasional $h!t, G-dammit, etc. Swearing like that was simply not as ingrained in folks as it is now. Back then I'd dare say people in general still thought many of those words were "bad words." Now I think it is expected that to prove you are a man, you need to be able to drop F-bombs in the middle of words and sentences.

I'm not trying to argue the point that the entire US military was a bunch of tea totaling prudes that spoke with proper grammar and formal language. I'm just saying that claiming the profanity adds to the authenticity of the movie is a bit of a stretch.

When I was in, I swore every other word.
    I've been out since 91.
    I swore the other day at work, the entire crew looked at me. Cause while I may go on a yelling rampage, I don't swear.
    Cause worked with scouts, I don't swear. You can't turn it on and off, so I don't do it.
    After a while, second nature to not swear.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was in, I swore every other word.
    I've been out since 91.
    I swore the other day at work, the entire crew looked at me. Cause while I may go on a yelling rampage, I don't swear.
    Cause worked with scouts, I don't swear. You can't turn it on and off, so I don't do it.
    After a while, second nature to not swear.

With all the G-daughters running around I have learned (again) that little kids are tape recorders set on repeat. I have managed to tone down in the house.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good on you both for cleaning up your act so to speak. Like you said, little ears are tape recorders. Our 7 year old says "what the" and doesn't finish it. She must hear that at school, but not sure. I swear more than I should and have to really watch myself around the kids. Having a few football coaches that used the F-bomb as a conjunction, verb, noun, adjective, adverb, and punctuation did rub off on my unfortunately.

Lets play this from another angle. Lets say the producers decided to go straight up "Gone with the Wind" and have only 1 case of profanity in the entire movie, at a very pivotal moment at peak emotion. Do any of you think that the majority of the crowd would have left the theater saying "boy, that was a good movie, but completely unrealistic because they didn't swear enough?"

I'd reckon there would be a few guys that would have noticed it, but most wouldn't. My point is that profanity doesn't necessarily = authenticity. There wasn't a ton of swearing in American Sniper. There was some when it added to the emotion and the scene, but I didn't leave there thinking it was over the top. The movie "felt" authentic from the attention Eastwood put into all the other details. Ok...other than the super fake baby. But I digress.

I think Fury was a great movie and they did a very good job with authentic weapons, tanks, tactics, and the like. Just went over the top with the language. I would love to watch this type of movie with my kids when they are a bit older, to show them what so many selfless individuals have done in the name of freedom throughout our history. Fury will be down the list given the excessive language.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Offspring #1 is 19, and could make a Russian sailor blush; he does it a little too much around offspring #2, but otherwise he knows his context and won't run his mouth in polite company. He learned it from me, and I could strip paint just by yelling at it, but my mother has actually commented that she thinks I never say anything off color. And we're not even military. I was a ********* school bus driver, and those little ******** ******** never heard a bad word pass my lips. I was pretty forgiving of it, though. You can, in fact turn it on and off. There may have been more weight to the words back then in society at large; I grew up thinking our generation had invented it because I never heard any of those words from adults, but those ******* ******** said a ************ lot more of that ******* **** than you want to believe of your kindly grandfathers. They just left it there with the weapons, the mindstripping horror, the unspeakable death, and the friends who had died with less to bury than was missing, when they found themselves fortunate enough to have survived to come home. You ******* better ******* believe they had some ******* language. I sure would have.

Top Bottom