• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    BARF! Have you ever heard of this?? Apparently slapping a live fish on a plate at a restaurant is a common thing in certain countries.

Man, culture shock!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivstO1Nv0rY"]YouTube - Fried Fish Eaten Alive![/ame]

murphy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess that is one way to prove that the fish is fresh.

Exactly right. It also proves the skill of the chef if he can prepare the dish without killing the fish. I have eaten it several times in Japan. It is always hilarious to be there with someone who doesn't realize the fish is still alive (fellow Americans) They usually start freaking out as soon as the fish takes a breath or two. At first you think your eyes are playing tricks on you but then reality sets in and the fun begins. One time a lady in our group who had never seen the dish before went into such hysterics that the entire place went silent and the chef ran out from the kitchen to find out what was wrong. We never even got to take a bite before they cleared the little fellow off of the table. I enjoy the food but nothing beats a good steak in the USA.:patriot:

Top Bottom