• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    What size Harvest Right would suffice for 2 people? I was thinking Medium.
    We already have a chamber vacuum sealer that does a lot of work for us in food storage.
    I have an old medium, it has 4 trays, the new pro medium has 5 trays.

The old small had 3 smaller trays, the new small has 4.

For two I’d say old medium or new small.

FYI the small and medium take a normal 120VAC outlet, the large takes a dedicated 20amp outlet.

Also, if you are any where close to an RP Home and Harvest (old Big R) they are clearing out the old mediums for $600 less than Harvest Right.com.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have an old medium, it has 4 trays, the new pro medium has 5 trays.

The old small had 3 smaller trays, the new small has 4.

For two I’d say old medium or new small.

FYI the small and medium take a normal 120VAC outlet, the large takes a dedicated 20amp outlet.

Also, if you are any where close to an RP Home and Harvest (old Big R) they are clearing out the old mediums for $600 less than Harvest Right.com.
    One in Crawfordsville, I think maybe I will swing by

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    One in Crawfordsville, I think maybe I will swing by
    Worth a shot, I bought the last medium in Rochester.

After using it for a few months, I like 4 trays better than 5 since the drum size is the same, there is hardly any space between trays on the 5 tray model.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    That is definitely on our list to try. How are the biscuits once rehydrated?

we have been watching pretty much every video we can find on freeze drying. This will hopefully be a game changer in our food prep department.
    I haven’t tried mine yet, religiously following low carb right now, but when the SHTF, I’m eating carbs. lol.

The Mountain House biscuits and gravy rehydrates pretty good, more time equals soft, less time equals crispy inside.

The only packaged food I’ve rehydrated so far was spaghetti with Italian sausage, wife had a hankering for spaghetti late in the evening. I tasted a bite, it was awesome, just like fresh except the noodles were broken up in smaller pieces. Freeze dried stuff is pretty fragile.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I have seen videos of some people using vacuum chamber sealers with these. I didnt know such things existed on a consumer level. I’m not sure if it would be worth the added expense though. Maybe though…

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have seen videos of some people using vacuum chamber sealers with these. I didnt know such things existed on a consumer level. I’m not sure if it would be worth the added expense though. Maybe though…
    Don’t use it much with the freeze drier, since it crushes the contents, and could puncture the bags, but I love my Avid Armor USVX, just ground, and packaged 62 pound of pork butt tenders today. Superior in every way to the old style food saver, pretty affordable too.

Attachments

• IMG_7386.jpeg
      IMG_7386.jpeg
      496.2 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_7378.jpeg
      IMG_7378.jpeg
      495.8 KB · Views: 10

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Don’t use it much with the freeze drier, since it crushes the contents, and could puncture the bags, but I love my Avid Armor USVX, just ground, and packaged 62 pound of pork butt tenders today. Superior in every way to the old style food saver, pretty affordable too.
    Hmm. We use our food saver a lot for meat, especially deer, but it can be a bit tricky, you don’t always get a good vacuum.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Hmm. We use our food saver a lot for meat, especially deer, but it can be a bit tricky, you don’t always get a good vacuum.
    My freezer is full of food saver bags, and probably half of them have magically come unsealed. I think the main problem is meat juice getting sucked into the sealing bar. That is the main advantage of the chamber sealer, you can seal pure liquid if you’re so inclined.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I know right! Now Im pricing them.
    We ordered ours online, be prepared, they are expensive! It will be delivered Thursday. I didn’t know it when we ordered, but there is a brewery supply store behind the mall in terre haute that sells them. They have freeze dryers, supplies, knife sharpeners, Mylar bags, etc.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Great! Now I want one. Didn't realize you could do your own eggs as well.

Eggs will be a big thing we do, since we have chickens. You can do cooked eggs or raw eggs. The raw eggs you can powder up and, after adding water, use pretty much as you would use a fresh egg. That is my current level of understanding right now at least. We will do a lot of eggs here. Ice cream is another.

Top Bottom