• ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Article from 2018.
    I don`t think one needs a tin foil hat to question the possibility of this being the reason for the crash ..........
    Probably just a test run .... :tinfoil:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh I do. None of this has an impact on my life, being hundreds of miles away, so I could frankly care less. Accident or not, our country is under attack - whether from a foreign influence or DEI or the woke agenda...

I just find it humorous and a bit scary, how so many are believing the "official" narrative that it's just an accident...
    The null hypothesis is that it is an accident. What evidence disproves the null hypothesis?

It has nothing to do with MSM, or an "official" narrative. It has to do with making an assessment based on what is currently known.

I could just as easily say: I just find it humorous and a bit scary, how so many are believing a bunch of internet nutters who claim without evidence that it was a terrorist attack.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You say you don't know what happened then proceed to tell what happened based off what you heard but what alternative sources say us wrong…
    Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit today, I see.

Do you not understand the difference between "I don't know what happened" and "this is what I think happened, based on what we currently know"? Do you not know what "SWAG" means?

Or are you just in the mood to be argumentative?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Article from 2018.
    I read the article. I didn't see anything about hacking ships to kill their power and cause them to veer off-course due to loss of rudder control.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well I agree 100%. Not only should they foot the bill for the entire rebuilding of the bridge, they should have to foot the bill for the First Responders and all lost revenues of everyone who's affected by the bridge loss. Not one dime of taxpayers' money should come to play.
    Well, taxpayers will have to rebuild it and recoup the money from them. Otherwise, it would be years before they could even start.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Lot of misinformation and half-truths out there.

Come to your own conclusions, but accident or terrorism, what we are left with is how we prepare ourselves for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th order effects of this. More supply chain disruptions, economic disruption from the supply chain disruptions, government funding for a replacement bridge, etc...

This is worth viewing:

This is worth reading:

Also this:

It is EXACTLY what I highlighted in your post, nothing more, nothing less.

Too many here are getting lost in the minute details, can't see the forest for the trees.

I can say I was well prepared to weather the storm for the covid supply chain disruptions, I know not everyone here can...

Be it as it may, draw your own conclusions...

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    I read the article. I didn't see anything about hacking ships to kill their power and cause them to veer off-course due to loss of rudder control.
    In the other scenario, researchers showed just how easy it is to exploit a ship’s OT system, which is used to control much of the critical control infrastructure on board, including the steering gear, engines and ballast pumps

These systems communicate using plain-text NMEA 0183 messages that aren’t authenticated, encrypted or validated in any way. “All we need to do is man in the middle and modify the data,” Munro said. In his post he outlined the modification of a GPS autopilot command that could change the rudder and steer the ship off course.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    These systems communicate using plain-text NMEA 0183 messages that aren’t authenticated, encrypted or validated in any way. “All we need to do is man in the middle and modify the data,” Munro said. In his post he outlined the modification of a GPS autopilot command that could change the rudder and steer the ship off course.
    And those things, presumably, can happen while the ship is under power, no? Nothing about blowing the ship's power to accomplish any of that?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, it seems overly complicated to hack into a vessel only to cut the power to cause it to drift into the bridge. If you can hack into it, why not just steer it into the bridge at FULL POWER? I am curious as to the cause of the power loss. This could very well be a frequent occurrence but without a tragedy, we'd never know. Time will tell.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And then the toll will be double on that bridge because, We need to pay for this new bridge.
    Perhaps. However, this IS a critical infrastructure that will need addressed ASAP. The 2nd and 3rd order effects of this closure has yet to be felt. It is unavoidable that taxpayers will foot the bill for the immediate removal and rebuilding of the bridge. Now will the FEds seek reimbursement? Perhaps. If the Insurance Co fights them on it (as they most assuredly will) then a settlement could be 2-7 years. Too long to wait to get started.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah, it seems overly complicated to hack into a vessel only to cut the power to cause it to drift into the bridge. If you can hack into it, why not just steer it into the bridge at FULL POWER? I am curious as to the cause of the power loss. This could very well be a frequent occurrence but without a tragedy, we'd never know. Time will tell.
    Exactly. This is the Occam's razor application. If a terrorist were going to hijack a ship's steering, it would just drive it full-power into the bridge support.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Welcome to Maryland, now where's your EasyPass?
    Have the Ipass for when i had to go thru toll in Illinois. Friggin $4.50 to go over the skyway and its nothing but a steel structure with steel grates for the roadway. No toll break like all the other toll roads Illinois has. Haven't been on them in many years and keep getting an email that Illinois transportation wants the transponder back.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Indeed.

Now...who employs the harbor pilots? Who laid out a dredged the shipping channel? So many other parties who are going to be pulled into this. I mean dozens.
    I believe they are hired by private company's. Baltimore Harbor pilots swap out with bay pilots after going out past Key Bridge. Ships entering swap out before going under the bridge.
    I've seen pilots being swapped out in the bay while passing as far south as Annapolis.
    This will help explain the process to become a pilot.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Have the Ipass for when i had to go thru toll in Illinois. Friggin $4.50 to go over the skyway and its nothing but a steel structure with steel grates for the roadway. No toll break like all the other toll roads Illinois has. Haven't been on them in many years and keep getting an email that Illinois transportation wants the transponder back.
    You don't ever want to drive over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge then, $20 per... It was a a bit of sticker shock the first time I drove over.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Perhaps. However, this IS a critical infrastructure that will need addressed ASAP. The 2nd and 3rd order effects of this closure has yet to be felt. It is unavoidable that taxpayers will foot the bill for the immediate removal and rebuilding of the bridge. Now will the FEds seek reimbursement? Perhaps. If the Insurance Co fights them on it (as they most assuredly will) then a settlement could be 2-7 years. Too long to wait to get started.
    I was making a Md joke, I'm very familiar with Baltimore.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Hack the system, change course, and cut power to prevent any override.

Top Bottom