• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Publishing facts and glorifying are two completely different things. It is not required to censor information in order to avoid glorifying sociopaths.

It might be more productive to emphasize their loser status and subject them to shame and ridicule. Worth a try. Clearly what they've been doing isn't productive.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It might be more productive to emphasize their loser status and subject them to shame and ridicule. Worth a try. Clearly what they've been doing isn't productive.

The problem is not the information itself, but what the media (and others) *do* with the information.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Does declaring war on 5 million law-abiding Americans mean something different to you?

I don't think he's advocating a violent war. Just a war of words. He's calling for mob-shaming. You have to admit that it's not the same as beheading or crucifying people. If I'm within voice proximity of him and his ilk, I'm not afraid for my life.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The problem is not the information itself, but what the media (and others) *do* with the information.
    Oh I agree, but they tend to paint a sympathetic picture... the "poor misunderstood person", "bad childhood", etc.. They should just come out and call them no good sniveling cowards (which would be accurate reporting) that didn't have the guts to face everyday life. Hell, insult their parents too for all I care.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't think he's advocating a violent war. Just a war of words. He's calling for mob-shaming. You have to admit that it's not the same as beheading or crucifying people. If I'm within voice proximity of him and his ilk, I'm not afraid for my life.

And if Wayne LaPierre tweeted that he desired to start a war with Everytown or Moms Demand Action, how, exactly, would that declaration be received by the likes of Piers Morgan?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Oh I agree, but they tend to paint a sympathetic picture... the "poor misunderstood person", "bad childhood", etc.. They should just come out and call them no good sniveling cowards (which would be accurate reporting) that didn't have the guts to face everyday life. Hell, insult their parents too for all I care.

I hate mainstream reporting, but I could get behind this. Make it so its not worth any loons time to get their 15 minutes, because it will only be shameful and berating. I would love to see how much these incidents dropped as a result.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

That's what the problem is. A name is just a name... but with that name comes the awful things people do with it. Hard-left outlets like Vox/ThinkProgress/Salon/et al turn the shooters into victims. They create the narrative that they were misunderstood, and lashed out because of how bad or unfair America is, and the only solution is to vote Democrat.

It's the afterglow of seeing a perp's face lit up on these websites and the sympathy they're receiving that inspires the next killer. "What's that? I can have articles written all about my life, and everyone will understand my problems and troubles? And all I have to do is go into this school and kill some people?"

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I hate mainstream reporting, but I could get behind this. Make it so its not worth any loons time to get their 15 minutes, because it will only be shameful and berating. I would love to see how much these incidents dropped as a result.

I doubt it would make much difference, especially if the killer planned on dying in the process.

They are like dogs. Negative attention is better than no attention.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And if Wayne LaPierre tweeted that he desired to start a war with Everytown or Moms Demand Action, how, exactly, would that declaration be received by the likes of Piers Morgan?

Why does that matter? I'm just saying what reality is, which is that Piers Morgan declaring war on the NRA and "gun nuts" does not make him a domestic terrorist any more than if Wayne LaPeirre did the same thing to them.

It's an emotional subject. And I have to say I'm pretty pissed about all the blowhards who are politicizing the deaths of these people to drum up enough political clout to enact solutions that wouldn't have fixed anything.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt it would make much difference, especially if the killer planned on dying in the process.

He was inspired by Vester Flanagan, said he wanted that fame... Vester killed himself. Being alive doesn't matter sometimes, as long as you think you're going to leave a lasting effect.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

But it always seems like the same type of people; lonely, disconnected, misunderstood, not really any friends, etc. They do this for the attention because they are plastered all over the country almost like heros. The media never berates them or calls them cowards. Like others have said, they are painted like the victims. That makes it seem like someone finally understands them.

If the media berated them and called them cowards, low-lifes, etc, and never mentioned or tried to figure out their underlying issues they would not be getting the attention they are looking for.

They would no longer be painted like victims, they would be painted like the scum they are. I highly doubt that negative attention would yield the same results.

The dying in the process part is probably just an understood part of the fame for them. At the point where they are willing to shoot up a school to get noticed, it's not like they have anything to lose.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But it always seems like the same type of people; lonely, disconnected, misunderstood, not really any friends

That's today's society. We may all have our theories on why people are increasingly like this... probably the increase in technological advancements. Cell phones are addicting to people. You're connected to everyone, all the time. Social media puts your life out there and makes you want to share it.

My theory has always been narcissism. It will never be cured, and it'd be silly to say we're going to fix mass shootings.

Shootings are always going to happen in America. They'll happen at malls, schools, out in public, etc. It's just going to happen.

I think the best defense is to have armed response at the places that they are most likely to occur. That's my only suggested solution. You can't change people, you can't just fix them and make them less likely to snap. You can just hope to stop them before too many people are hurt.

So... my summary... people are becoming more self-centered because of societal advancements, combined with everyone being treated like a winner. People will kill, just find a way to stop them faster.

Edit: I guess it comes with the job -

In Twelve-Minute Speech to America on Oregon Mass Shooting, Obama Refers to Himself 28 Times

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like he got them legally:

ATF: UCC killer's 14 guns being traced; as of now 7 purchased by shooter or family member.

OFFICIALS: Officials have recovered 13 weapons, all purchased legally, from the Oregon shooting suspect. 6 weapons recovered from Oregon school shooting scene, 7 at gunman's residence

ATF official: Shooter had 13 weapons. All traced to federal firearms dealer. 7 purchased by shooter or family member in last 3 years.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Unlinkable report - of unknown veracity - that the shooter was briefly in the US Army, but did not make it through basic.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Stop talking about the shooter. That gives the loser just what he wanted. Let's talk about Chris Mintz instead. He put himself between the shooter and the would be victims.

Forget The Shooter, Here's The Guy Who Should Be Famous After The Tragedy In Oregon «

I'd rather not talk about the shooter. Chris mintz is a more worthy subject. And also we should continue talking about the media **** storm.

Speaking of Chris Mintz, I read an article that said all the people who survived did so by laying down pretending to be among the dead. Bull****. One guy did not lay down and pretend to be a victim. He stood up to kick the guy's ass.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why does that matter? I'm just saying what reality is, which is that Piers Morgan declaring war on the NRA and "gun nuts" does not make him a domestic terrorist any more than if Wayne LaPeirre did the same thing to them.

Why does it matter? I'll tell you why: because, if we want to win the long game, then we need to stop ceding the landscape and the narrative to the other side. If the disarmists would hold Wayne LaPierre to a certain standard for incendiary rhetoric, then our side needs to be willing to hold them accountable for their incendiary rhetoric. Otherwise, we will forever be fighting an uphill battle.

Top Bottom