• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you believe the bad verdict was not politically influenced?
    Yeah. That doesn't make him a "political prisoner". That has a specific meaning that doesn't really fit what's going on here. He wasn't imprisoned because of his politcal beliefs. He wasn't imprisoned because of his political activism. He was imprisoned for being found guilty of murdering George Floyd. Floyd, a black man, died at the hands of a white man. That's the narrative, and of course there is a political component to that. But he wasn't jailed as a political dissident, which is what a political prisoner is.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah. That doesn't make him a "political prisoner". That has a specific meaning that doesn't really fit what's going on here. He wasn't imprisoned because of his politcal beliefs. He wasn't imprisoned because of his political activism. He was imprisoned for being found guilty of murdering George Floyd. Floyd, a black man, died at the hands of a white man. That's the narrative, and of course there is a political component to that. But he wasn't jailed as a political dissident, which is what a political prisoner is.
    You're splitting hairs. Several people involved need run through wood chippers and he is NOT one of them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're splitting hairs. Several people involved need run through wood chippers and he is NOT one of them.
    I agree that it was a wrong verdict. And that the verdict was politically motivated. But that doesn’t make Chauvin a political prisoner unless you really stretch the definition. That has a specific definition. And saying so doesn’t mean I think the verdict is any less poopy. It just means words have meaning.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Apparently I use a wider definition of political prisoner which includes anyone imprisoned due, at least in part, to political considerations. Were the German Jews political prisoners?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The tragedy was completely the fault of the criminal justice system. The sum total prison time of all his criminal convictions would have still had him in jail. I understand that he has been socially elevated to sainthood. (except maybe the victims of the 9 crimes he was convicted of and any crimes where he was never caught)

The idea that floyd had no direct responsibility in his own death is in error. He would have died that day even if he had been driven home and taken a nap on the couch. No one survives that much fentanyl. The toxicology lab certified the findings.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Apparently I use a wider definition of political prisoner which includes anyone imprisoned due, at least in part, to political considerations. Were the German Jews political prisoners?
    Like most totalitarian states Nazi Germany held its political opponents in prison. Those were political prisoners. Political prisoners are held in prison to punish and/or or keep their political views and actions hidden from the public.

But I don’t want to go back and forth on semantics. I mean. You’re not Bug. There’s no need. We both likely agree that the Chauvin verdict was politically motivated. I just disagree that it fits the definition of political prisoner. We can agree to disagree on that.

Reactions: oze

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Like most totalitarian states Nazi Germany held its political opponents in prison. Those were political prisoners. Political prisoners are held in prison to punish and/or or keep their political views and actions hidden from the public.

But I don’t want to go back and forth on semantics. I mean. You’re not Bug. There’s no need. We both likely agree that the Chauvin verdict was politically motivated. I just disagree that it fits the definition of political prisoner. We can agree to disagree on that.
    Regardless of how we parse this, you are correct in that Chauvin is in prison for political reasons as opposed to correct application of justice.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think what he's saying, Dave, is you should ask a couple of friends from Minnesota and then go with that :coffee:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Chauvin is a political pawn, being punished to appease the thug, PC masses. The technique he used was an approved method of restraining a perp who had been combative. As is the case with so may other social issues, they did this to him, they`ll do this a more to any and all of us.
    To rub your noses in it, they`ve made statues to commemorate the career criminal and druggie, floyd. This nation is just about nearly all undone.
    That jury would've convicted him of the Black Dahlia murder and smoking on the Hindenburg if given the option.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Sounds good to me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

He was imprisoned to make a political point.

I consider that a political prisoner.

Top Bottom