Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    A mature Snapper can be frozen solid and it will still be alive when thawed out. Saw it happen at a lodge on Lake of the Woods in Ontario. A fishing guide caught a huge Snapper and the kitchen staff threw it in the walkin freezer. 3 months later they dropped it in the minnow tank to thaw it out for the chef and it ate every minnow in the tank !

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Thanks for the vote of confidence snapdragon :):

head as looked snapper to me but not very familiar with turtles, they hibernate??? Would it want a warming light if hibernating? Would like to keep as a pet for the boys. Shallow water dish with some sort of ramp?

If you want, you could keep him inside until spring, then let him go. If you want to keep him, any container of water that gives him room to swim around will be fine. Baby snappers don't usually like to sun themselves like painted turtles, but they do like a shallow area where they can stick their head out of the water.

He will probably not eat the lettuce, but he might. What he will love is nightcrawlers, worms, pre-killed minnows, crickets, and just about any other kind of bug that he could catch. He might even eat turtle food pellets. They are messy eaters and will require frequent tank-cleaning. One thing also, you don't have to feed him but once a week or so if it's a good meal.

Common snappers will sometimes lay eggs in the late summer and the young typically will over-winter in the nest and emerge in the spring. If you don't want to keep him, as others have said, wait till there's a nice day and put him in a pond or wetland.

And, no matter how much you feed him, I doubt he'd double in size before spring.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I took in a red ear slider that had gotten a crack in the shell playing in traffic, and nursed it back to health. You think of turtles as slow, but I'd put a batch of minnows in there, and it was like a piranha frenzy; within less than a minute there would be a couple of heads and tails floating in the water. For a pet, I'd go for a box tortoise. Never had a slider bite me, but the tortoise is all safe and cute and all. This little guy might benefit from an overwinter in the house. You can find instructions online for a hibernation box, and you won't even have to mess with him.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Well.. while we're slightly off-topic, meet Tortuga! She's my lovely 20 year old red-eared slider.
    10620678_789897581074174_7127858209311960422_n.jpg

Yeah, that's not a typo. I got her when I was about 3 years old... Somehow managed to keep her alive (with no snuck-in "replacements")

Top Bottom