• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Found this little guy just outside my bird trap, ER.... Garage. He doesn't seem too active, not sure if it's a cold thing, or if a bird dropped him in the middle of my driveway. Anyone know which kind it is? I put him in a dish inside, wife got some lettuce. Laying on paper towel now.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Common snapping turtle. I have had a few and bred/hatched them. He should be hibernating, but I'm sure he could use some water a sun lamp, and a place to get out of the water.

Edit: are you sure he's alive?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Common snapping turtle. I have had a few and bred/hatched them. He should be hibernating, but I'm sure he could use some water a sun lamp, and a place to get out of the water.

Edit: are you sure he's alive?

My first thought too, but I'm guessing the doc knows alive when he sees it. He looks kind of... petrified?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    He will eat pellet fish food as well as your finger when he gets big enough, He needs water to swim and a dry area to climb on. they are hard to kill (at least harder them a hummingbird ;-) Heat lamp isn't necessary. He is used to the weather. If you can find a swampy area near you I'd toss him in. He will bury him self till spring.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks for the vote of confidence snapdragon :):

head as looked snapper to me but not very familiar with turtles, they hibernate??? Would it want a warming light if hibernating? Would like to keep as a pet for the boys. Shallow water dish with some sort of ramp?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

head as looked smapper to me but not very familiar with turtles, they hibernate??? Would it want a warming light if hibernating? Would like to keep as a pet for the boys. Shallow water dish with some sort of ramp?

They go into a torpor during the cold and survive the extreme freezes by that burying themselves in the mud. Swampy areas never freeze solid enough. Many of our turtle species do this and can live over a hundred years.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

head as looked smapper to me but not very familiar with turtles, they hibernate??? Would it want a warming light if hibernating? Would like to keep as a pet for the boys. Shallow water dish with some sort of ramp?
    If you're going to keep him/her and not breed then it will be fine inside with a habitat setup. One common misconception about water turtles is that they don't like to get out of the water and that is totally false.

It may take a week or more for him to eat, but you can start him off with some minnows or pieces of meat (small of course.) Invest in a sunlight mimicking light that provides the nutrients for the turtle to grow and stay healthy. As he grows he'll need to wear his beak down on something...a plaster/egg shell/calcium pellet will help for that. The easiest setup is 2/3 water and 1/3 dry land. Do not use a rock where the turtle could get stuck under the rock and drown.

You can pick pretty much all of this stuff up at a reptile show at the Indy Fairgrounds or a pet shop.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We had a few that we kept until they got bigger and we were worried about biting. Somebody gave them to us when my daughter was little. I'd probably let it go and get the boys a turtle or tortoise raised in captivity if they want a pet.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Shallow water dish with some sort of ramp?

You are showing your age brother....Jo Lar pet shop (or K Mart) ca. 1970-1980....

Painted baby turtle? Check. Plastic shallow water dish with ramp and plastic palm tree? Check. Turtle food? Check. Little box to bury turtle in when he dies two weeks later? Check....

Mom, Dad, and Papaw buying a new turtle every two weeks and trying to convince me it was the same damn turtle...Priceless...:)

But seriously he went to your home for a reason...Did you ask if he/she was feeling well? Does your driveway or home give any indication of your profession?

I would get an aquarium and keep that little sucker...They are cute but he will need more water than a shallow plastic dish with the ramp and the little palm tree....I know our Bass Pro has a BIG one and it doesn't have a ramp to get out of the water...Just an aquarium where he hangs on the bottom and eats bluegill...Good work if you can get it....

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Update: now laying UNDER paper towel. Will offer little bits of meat tomorrow. I'll pick up a little habitat thing at Uncle Bill's. I'm taking kids to see Penguins so we'll be right there.

I tried to catch a little snake earlier this summer but it wanted to bite me so I left it alone. It's time the boys get some fun things in the house. BTW, that's my wife's face in the background. She wanted to be in the pic :):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Update: now laying UNDER paper towel. Will offer little bits of meat tomorrow. I'll pick up a little habitat thing at Uncle Bill's. I'm taking kids to see Penguins so we'll be right there.

I tried to catch a little snake earlier this summer but it wanted to bite me so I left it alone. It's time the boys get some fun things in the house. BTW, that's my wife's face in the background. She wanted to be in the pic :):

Snakes that bite are bad, but turtles that bite are OK? :dunno:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    We found his twin in our basement in July this year. We kept him in an aquarium, water and sand. He only seemed to want to eat live food. It was fun dropping worms beetles and grasshoppers in the water and watching him stalk and attack.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom