• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I if you got denied and tried again you should be in trouble.
    I disagree. I WAS denied a few years ago. My questions were all accurate and nothing should have sparked the denial. It was purely erroneous. I had the lgs run it again out of my confusion. That sparked the long lawsuit against the government for a UPIN, which I received eventually.

JAJORDAN765

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Lafayette
    I disagree. I WAS denied a few years ago. My questions were all accurate and nothing should have sparked the denial. It was purely erroneous. I had the lgs run it again out of my confusion. That sparked the long lawsuit against the government for a UPIN, which I received eventually.
    Sorry that supposed to say I was told if you get denied and keep trying you can get in trouble.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Did you here that in a gun store? AFAIK, there's no law about that.
    Actually you can get into trouble, not so much for filling out the from but under the Federal perjury statute. The way it's supposed to work is you fill out the form, the seller reviews the form and if you answered any of the questions wrong then the seller does not conduct the background check and does not complete the sale. If you answered them correctly then a background check is done. According to law the FBI can only keep your personal identifiers for 3 days after which only information associated with the transaction number is the statistical data and a proceed. All personal info is it to be removed. (not that they haven't been known to keep it longer). If you get a denied then all info including your personal identifiers is kept.

Now, if you answered the questions appropriately and a background check was run that came back a denied then there's either an error in the NICS data or you lied on the form. If you continue to try without getting the error corrected and keep getting denied then someone may come and have a chat with you since law enforcement thinks you are a prohibited person who is continually lying on the 4473 in the hopes of obtaining a firearm. It's the belief you are lying, (perjury since you signed the form stating that you told the truth) that's going to get you. It's also the reason a dealer can not run a background check until time of sale.

Edit: I should add that it doesn't seem to be a priority for the Feds to pursue people falsifying the 4473 but it could happen and it has happened but it's not common.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have had military clearances up to top secret in the past. No felonies, no arrests, no convictions. Not sure if it matters, never been delayed or denied.

Several years ago went to a GS during lunch at work to buy a rifle I had seen previously. Store was full of people. Dealer said the NICS system was down giving everyone delays. Filled out my 4473, called in and immediate approval. Walked out with everyone else looking at me!

Don't know anything about the details, just works for me.

Don

ToddG330

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    TX
    Somehow I get a manual review almost every time. For some reason it started after being approved on a few form 4’s. It makes no sense but it’s usually only an hour or so

Top Bottom