Ford offering Bullet Resistant Police Cruisers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thanks to all the officers that have Denny'ed all over this thread.
    Even Denny himself did it.
    Does that make it a Double Denny? :dunno:

I had high hopes of selling Ford lots of Glue for the panels. I guess I will have to take that Nigerian Prince up on his offer to loan him a $1,000 to help him get his millions unfrozen.

Hmmm, now what will I spend my million dollars on that he promised me?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Would this be truly beneficial to equip a full motor pool with these? Seems like the glass would be more important? How many officers have been shot through the doors in Indy?
    if it really would help then I think there should be a push to get these. But it can't just be for one or two, it needs to be all. It's really disgraceful the lack of needed equipment our officers get thanks to worthless politicians in Indianapolis.
    sure like fire extinguishers it's good to have something and never need it but have it if you do ever need it. But politicians are reactive and not proactive. And the reactive is probably only about 20% of the time. Discusting

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How much money could be saved by putting less graphics on a car? How about just slapping a shield or just POLICE on the doors? No fancy **** that cost extra. Maybe that would help pay for the armor? Looks would be less important than function. Hell, don't even buy wheel covers. Just use bare rims.
    I'm just trying to ask questions about everything to try to find a solution. I'd be willing to go stand up at a council meeting or visit personaly with council members and I'm sure many others would too. We could make a difference here and maybe save a life. That's worth any amount of money

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    We buy the sedan over the SUV because the sedan costs a grand less and the SUV requires an additional grand worth of secure storage in the back. So we save $2k per vehicle by using only the sedan. No way we would ever spring for armor upgrade

I have the SUV. It's nice, but the Crown Vic had more storage room in the trunk than this thing does. The department put lockable storage in the back, but none of my rifles fit in it. I carry so much gear that I couldn't get to the storage drawer with any quickness anyway.

If they wanted us to transport, they'd spring for partitions. Sheriffs handle all our transports.

We've been transporting for years with no partitions. Actually, I don't know of any agencies around here that have them.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Doesn't a company in South Bend do this already?

Is it cheaper to do it at Ford?

I would think it would be easier as the vehicle was being built than having all the labor time in pulling everything back apart to install panels :dunno:

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks to all the officers that have Denny'ed all over this thread.
    Even Denny himself did it.
    Does that make it a Double Denny? :dunno:

I had high hopes of selling Ford lots of Glue for the panels. I guess I will have to take that Nigerian Prince up on his offer to loan him a $1,000 to help him get his millions unfrozen.

Hmmm, now what will I spend my million dollars on that he promised me?

Sometimes it seems like it's forgotten that most of the police officers in the state...and the country, don't work in Indianapolis and things maybe, just maybe, be a little different elsewhere.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Speaking from the experience of being on the receiving end of gunfire while in my car, I'm ambivalent about the armored doors. Also, I believe that the bulk of gunfire that has struck OUR cars has struck the glass. I'd like to see stats on that though. If we lived in a place where it was expected that cops were going to get their cars shot at frequently, the armor would be much appreciated.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I surmise that the thinking behind this is that bullet resistance can be added to the doors without a major redesign of the structure and for relatively little cost. Adding bullet resistant glass, probably much more helpful, would require restructuring the door for the much thicker side glass (at least .8" versus under .25") and as for the windshield, there would be similar issues and the .8" thick "glass" is rated only for subsonic rounds.

This article uses info from one armored car company, but I assume that that others would not be appreciably different. It says that armor packages start around $50,000 an top out around $100,000 for a sedan...on top of the price for the car. this article is from 2009, so I assume that the price has not gone down.

One other thing I know is that given the thickness of the side glass and the armor in the door, the ability to lower the window is often lost.

How To: Bulletproof a Car ? Feature ? Car and Driver

In other words, it'd be better than nothing, but far from perfect.

Top Bottom