• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have been thinking about what happened in the explosion on the South side of Indy. They forced a evacuation of that area and basically shut it off. I live in a rural area but have not really thought about if I was forced out by authorities. Do you have a plan outside of a bugout bag. I would be reluctant to leave my place I hate to think that the government has that much control over us but it happened real close to home and to think back look at what happened with the victims of Katrina. Even if they had prepped they were forced out so what do you do?

:dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A "plan" well yes and no. I have thoughts about what to do but really the situation will dictate what the actual plan is.

BOB is absolutely mandatory though. As seen in the southside explosion, you may not have any time to grab things except to reach in your front door and grab your BOB.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    What do you do?

You go! Then, when the situation is stabilized, you go back if there is anything left to safely go back to. For those people, the S hit the F! The fact that they weren't prepared is of no consequence to anbody but themselves.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I agree a BOB is absolutely essential. I may be wrong, but I believe some residents of the area had to leave on foot because there were fire hoses across the roads and they were not allowed to drive over them. Please correct me if this is inaccurate. Also, I would never drive over a fire hose in use, but it's something you don't normally think about during an evacuation. I am in the hills of Brown County, but I do have neighbors. I always thought that if we had to evacuate that we could get in our vehicles and go. Now I have to re-think this scenario.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I am sure there were people to take them to a least a gathering place like a school or shopping center....You got your BOB you will be ok for at least 3 days. By then surely you would find somewhere to go.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My concern is being forced to evacuate to a specific location/place where those giving the orders choose to dictate rules on what gear you may or may not possess.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My concern is being forced to evacuate to a specific location/place where those giving the orders choose to dictate rules on what gear you may or may not possess.

Yep. Me and my BOB would be in a bit of a pickle if evac-ed to a school.

Unless I'm being detained, I'd give my business card (with contact info) to whoever was "in charge", and then we'd go on our merry way. We have lots of bug-out destinations.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    That type of scenario, one where I cannot stay in my house for a period of a few days, is a concern for me. If the situation were such that it's unsafe to stay at my house, and I needed to go quickly, then I think I want to have me a bag ready to go. I have really started thinking about what sorts of things to put in to such a bag. That south side explosion is going to serve as a catalyst to get me thinking more about having some sort of preparations ready.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. Me and my BOB would be in a bit of a pickle if evac-ed to a school.
    I would demand a letter in writing from the sheriff/police chief, signed in pen with his own hand, that no displaced area residents sheltering on school property will be arrestable for firearm possession per IC blah-blee-bloo. Absent that, I don't get on the bus with my BOB.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm glad someone raised this issue. I haven't given enough thought to what I'm going to do if I am forced to leave home (I'm a bug-in-er).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have places to go but I will be staying put unless the house is on fire, flooded, next door to the idiot that blew up the area etc. To much here to loose if left un-attended.

This does make you pause and give thought to a situation such as these folks were thruat into by the stupidity and greed of others.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just got me thinking because my BOB has restricted items at schools so being forced to go to some place like that worries me some. They also sealed the neighborhood so it was like marshal law there being on a Vol FD I thought about the hoses and gas leak potential so leaving by vehicle may and probably was a no no. That really limits what you can take. Living it the country gives me some more options but if they come to the door and say you are out lets go now. Things might get ugly fast. It is just something that I have been thinking about did a search here never got a good answer so thought I would put it out there to think about and see what you thought.
    I do have other places to go to but never really planned to be forced out by authorities like in that neighborhood.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think it's a good post. The situation gives MANY people, even those who feel they are relatively prepared for most things, a LOT to think about.

Personally, I don't like the idea of them having the authority/ability to "force" me out of my home and I would probably be that "crazy guy" you see on the news who refused to leave until the last minute. I can determine what's safe for me and my family or not. Others making that decision for me is not freedom IMO.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think it's a good post. The situation gives MANY people, even those who feel they are relatively prepared for most things, a LOT to think about.

Personally, I don't like the idea of them having the authority/ability to "force" me out of my home and I would probably be that "crazy guy" you see on the news who refused to leave until the last minute. I can determine what's safe for me and my family or not. Others making that decision for me is not freedom IMO.

I think it's a great post, then again, I'm the author.... lol. Yeah, it really gave me a wake up call. Things changed tremendously the week following the explosion.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Perhaps you should think of that Bug Out Bag in this way.

If I am stark naked, have to leave my house immediately, and I can only grab that BOB as I leave on foot. With the possibility of never being able to go back. What do I think should be in that bag?

Change of clothes / shoes. Season appropriate.
    Money
    Identification
    Self protection
    Extra copies of credit cards / debit cards
    Tracphone (pay as you go cell phone)
    copys of your family photos / other important documents stored on a thumb drive?
    Some portable food / water.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bug inner myself here. Regardless of what I want to do, there might not be a choice. We can all be uber Internet tough guys, but there could be circumstances beyond our own control, right or wrong. It would be foolish not to have a plan for them.

I think it's a good thing to have a plan B, C and D with different levels of bug out speed and mobility. It also gives one pause to wonder about the things that would have to be left behind. How they are stored, protected, insured. etc.

Ultimately, it would be way cool to have an enclosed semi-set up trailer to hook on to. Throw what you can in at the last minute and go to the motel, campground, parking lot, wherever. Turn on the security system you were smart enough to set up in advance when you get there. Unload the grill and start making cheeseburgers while you watch the news on TV or computer.

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Having a friend that lived on the street in question. They could not get their vehicles out of the garage as was the case with many of the neighbors. My friend and his family had to leave the house with only the clothes on their back, they were not allowed to go back to get anything for two days the were john and jane does. They finally got their belongings out of the house two days before it was taken down, they were one of the first six houses demolished.

As for us, we will be staying in our home barring it being unlivable. My wife gives me grief beacuse every night I pack all of my essential edc items into my bag I carry to work and put it by the bed. I can only hope she starts doing the same.

Top Bottom