Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking modular bugout gear might be the ticket here:
    1. Vehicle with just about everything you need
    2. Major categories sorted in big totes
    3. Pack/bags with personal gear
    4. Pack/bags subdivided by stuff you know you can take anywhere and will need no matter what vs. stuff you know you will need, but might not be able to take some places
    In an emergency, you can always leave things behind or along the way, but you can't get something you don't already have in the short term.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Having a friend that lived on the street in question. They could not get their vehicles out of the garage as was the case with many of the neighbors. My friend and his family had to leave the house with only the clothes on their back, they were not allowed to go back to get anything for two days the were john and jane does. They finally got their belongings out of the house two days before it was taken down, they were one of the first six houses demolished.

As for us, we will be staying in our home barring it being unlivable. My wife gives me grief beacuse every night I pack all of my essential edc items into my bag I carry to work and put it by the bed. I can only hope she starts doing the same.

This is what my thoughts were the authorities come in and run you out with no time to get anything. Then they bar you from going back leaving you very vulnerable. It is easy to sit here at the keyboard and plan but at 0200 with 1/2 your house gone from a blast. Think of your frame of mind your first concern is is everyone OK then you start your plan but then the cops force you out maybe before you can really even access the damage or the well being of everyone. having been on a Vol FD for over 25 years I have had the opportunity to be thrown into bad situations a few times. Your training kicks in then but what your plan is today maybe different tomorrow or even in the next hour. I know that when bad things happen people tend to get into fight or flight mode. I tend to go into fight mode and want to hold my ground or try to control the situation my way. It appears that most of you fall in this category too you are planning on taking things on on your terms. That is why I posted this thread because being forced to do something I really don't want to do is troubling to me.

I am truly sorry for your friends, that would be horrible to go through.
    Thoughts and prayers go out to all of those that were effected by this blast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    4. Pack/bags subdivided by stuff you know you can take anywhere and will need no matter what vs. stuff you know you will need, but might not be able to take some places
    In an emergency, you can always leave things behind or along the way, but you can't get something you don't already have in the short term.

My immediate family all live right here on the 2 property's we own. After this unfortunate disaster and reading this thread we had a family chat about what we would do in this situation. It is being looked at like Rhino listed it. Makes some sense. We are compartmentalizing our BOB's.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Just throwing this out there for what it's worth. we have a storage unit rented about 3 miles from our home where we keep some extra supplies. I'm thinking we need to re-evaluate what we keep there and add several sets of clothing and shoes/boots and coats in case we had to leave with only the clothes on our back.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Our plan is to stay at our place. If we were ordered to leave we would take our travel tailer.

I just talked with the wife about this and neither one of us could think of a situation where we wold have to just run out of the house and leave every thing.

If the house caught on fire we would go to the trailer or barn. Our house is all electric, no gas. The chance of a fire is slim. Still possible.

We don't live close enough to any neighbors to worry about them taking out our house if theres went up. That is in less they are stocking TNT in a big way. If they were cooking meth and blew up there place we are far enough away from them that it shouldn't bother us. We might get some fall out but that would be about it.

I am so glad I live in the country. Getting out of the city was the best thing I ever did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    In the event of a disaster it takes the "authorities" time to respond and their first priority is saving lives/first aid then setting up a perimieter and finally security controlled access. If not directly involved to the extent you needed immediate medical assistance, I'm sure you could develop a quick plan and gather required valuables and survival assets. The first responders and police usually practice very careful entrance into a disaster area and are there to assist but not to become involved in the incident themselves. Slow goes it when they come.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Different levels and items for different levels/types of bug-out.

IE. for a true SHTF bugout you're going to need food changing clothes every day won't be quite as high a priority, but for a southside type situation you're going to need clothes etc as food will be provided and you will still need to be somewhat "presentable" as you pick up the pieces in the following days. There can also be levels separated into "Bugging out on foot" as some in the southside explosion had to do, and "bugging out on wheels" as others were allowed to do...

I think modularity, adaptability, and the ability to improvise in a pinch are very critical not only to BOB's but for almost everything we encounter in life.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Pets are something else to think about. Our dog comes with and has her how BOB that she wears. Food, collapsible food and water dishes, and vet records w/chip id info. Cats are on their own. As are fish, and chickens.

Also should think about kids and their bags. A little card pack, stuffed animal, game goes a long way when they are scared. Any sort of marriage, divorce, custody papers. Insurance agent and policy’s, we also keep a list of local hotel phone numbers we can call on the road. We also have paper copies of the family/work contacts as well. A list of our firearms (the ones lost in the boating accident) and serial numbers.

We have the compartmentalized system. If we may return later we leave the food bins.

Each member of the family even the toddler has their own bags.

The pay as you go phone was a good idea. We have one, and wasn’t in our bags, but will be now. Minutes on those things do expire, so when reviewing updating bag may want to check balance.

A small first aid kit as well in each family members bag.

Rather than trying to call and text all family individually we created a group text of critical family/friends so one message goes out to all. You can also use a phone tree with family and friends if you do not have the group option. You text sister, who call that side of family, and wife’s mom calls all her side.

I read a great thread on another forum of all the things people learned, what worked, what didn’t work and what they would do differently through Sandy. Made me open my eyes to many things.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Pets are something else to think about. Our dog comes with and has her how BOB that she wears. Food, collapsible food and water dishes, and vet records w/chip id info. Cats are on their own. As are fish, and chickens.

Also should think about kids and their bags. A little card pack, stuffed animal, game goes a long way when they are scared. Any sort of marriage, divorce, custody papers. Insurance agent and policy’s, we also keep a list of local hotel phone numbers we can call on the road. We also have paper copies of the family/work contacts as well. A list of our firearms (the ones lost in the boating accident) and serial numbers.

We have the compartmentalized system. If we may return later we leave the food bins.

Each member of the family even the toddler has their own bags.

The pay as you go phone was a good idea. We have one, and wasn’t in our bags, but will be now. Minutes on those things do expire, so when reviewing updating bag may want to check balance.

A small first aid kit as well in each family members bag.

Rather than trying to call and text all family individually we created a group text of critical family/friends so one message goes out to all. You can also use a phone tree with family and friends if you do not have the group option. You text sister, who call that side of family, and wife’s mom calls all her side.

I read a great thread on another forum of all the things people learned, what worked, what didn’t work and what they would do differently through Sandy. Made me open my eyes to many things.
    I haven't had one of those tracfones. I think I had one for about a week years ago. Back then the minutes didn't expire. How does the expiration work? Can't you just buy a minutes card and not register the minutes until you need them so they don't expire?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Just throwing this out there for what it's worth. we have a storage unit rented about 3 miles from our home where we keep some extra supplies. I'm thinking we need to re-evaluate what we keep there and add several sets of clothing and shoes/boots and coats in case we had to leave with only the clothes on our back.

This is what I've been doing. Two small storage lockers, one across the street and another across town. Both contain camping gear, cloths, food, and a buddy heater w/propane.

You may also want to consider using a combination lock or hiding a couple of keys somewhere on the way to the unit in case you have to leave in a hurry and can't grab all the keys you need from home. You may even be in a situation where you're out doing something and can't return home for the keys to your unit.

For the MSG's, you may consider storing items at other members homes or maybe split the cost of a storage locker between 2 or several members.

Last edited:

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I haven't had one of those tracfones. I think I had one for about a week years ago. Back then the minutes didn't expire. How does the expiration work? Can't you just buy a minutes card and not register the minutes until you need them so they don't expire?

I am not sure. We had one for one of the daughters then just got her, her own phone line, and it went in a drawer. I was thinking about taking it with me as part of DRT (Disaster Response Team) rather than my real phone in case it gets damaged etc. Wife made comment she would need to recharge the minutes since it hadn't been used in so long. All info I have.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Yep. Me and my BOB would be in a bit of a pickle if evac-ed to a school.

Unless I'm being detained, I'd give my business card (with contact info) to whoever was "in charge", and then we'd go on our merry way. We have lots of bug-out destinations.

Roger that
    For the moment this is still a nation of laws not men and we still have the freedom to walk down the street
    Unless it was -20 deg or something I will not go anyplace I'm TOLD to go
    I will be on my merry way

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have a Tracfone that I prepay - $19.99 for 60 minutes for 90 days. The minutes rollover. I currently have 358.60 minutes (don't understand the .60 part of that.) My next payment is due on 12/19/12 at which time, I will add another 60 minutes (units?) and often get extra minutes added to that by Tracfone.

My phone is just a simple one (no camera, internet, etc) and well worth the $10.oo purchase price. (Special package at the time - charger, case, auto charger cord.)

So - 3 months for $20.oo and rollover - voice and text. (You CAN get more minutes and even pay for a year - if you can afford it) I suggest you check it out. At that price, you could get one for every member of the family without going broke.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    For those of you who think you're going to somehow fight it to resist a forced evacuation, good luck. You'll be up against the National Guard.

so... the guardsmen have a right to evict me from my property.. why? and how?

how do i know i'm being evacuated for my own good, and not taken to an internment camp?

Top Bottom