• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Naples up to Sarasota is our favorite area. We will be down there for four weeks in a couple months, can not wait.

We like Disney too but wow, Orlando is so stinkin busy. And 4 from Orlando to Tampa, it may be quicker to walk.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Nah. You are never too old for Key West. Just don't drop your car keys. If you do, kick them back to Miami before you try to pick them up.

Seriously, there is nothing better than making it to Key West and eating fresh Stone Crab at one of the places around the island.

We really enjoyed Key West a decade ago when we went. Eat, drink, people watch, sunset, music... It had the raw, grittiness of New Orleans but was clean and safe like Disney. The best of both. The only thing missing from the OPs wish list is the lack of a real beach.

Based on friends reports the KW you wish you would have gone to back in the day is gone. They say it has been overrun by the cruise ship people and businesses are catering to them not the old school visitors...

Perhaps one of the few benefits of COVID would be fewer cruise ships for a few more months.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    In years past I have been to Destin (LOVE this beach area), Panama City Beach, and Tampa on the "inside" of FL as well as orlando (tourist nightmare) and vero beach (quiet little place in October) on the Atlantic side of FL.

Tampa is the furthest south I have gone into FL. Loved the seafood in FL and have been able to swim with the dolphins, go kayaking, and snorkeling as well.

Has anyone been further south? Like Miami, fort Myers? Or even key west?
    I have always want to go to key west but timing, money and life have gotten in the way. Unsure if it's worth it? Maybe key largo?

So any recommendation?
    Debating on driving (like I normally do) or fly and rent a car?

I want to stuff my face with fresh seafood. Do some kayaking and swim in the ocean/gulf and just enjoy laying in the sand on the beach. Just get away from this Chicago weather and away from work! I got 10 days of vacation days banked for end of oct or 1st week in November.
    IMO you really haven't been to FL yet. Fl for me starts south of about Fort Myers.

I own a home in Marco Island and live there part of the year. Marco is quiet has a great beach and is far enough south that you don't have to worry about those cold fronts that drop the temps into the 50s during the day.

I've been in Tampa in Feb and the high never got above 56 degrees.

I prefer the Gulf side of FL. Many fewer East Coasters from NY/NJ to ruin the fun. More laid back and more Midwesterners on this side.

Ft. Myers and south coconuts grow. Anywhere north they do not. Fishing is good and seafood is terrific. I go to a couple of small commercial seafood places that the big boats bring in their catches. Stone crab, grouper, snapper, hogfish, mahi, king fish, wahoo, fresh gulf shrimp.

If you want to actually fish you can go backwater for snook, red fish, grouper, trout, etc, or fish the gulf for all of the mentioned as well as permit, trigger fish, sharks, etc.

If looking for a little more direction PM me.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Based on friends reports the KW you wish you would have gone to back in the day is gone. They say it has been overrun by the cruise ship people and businesses are catering to them not the old school visitors...
    And the overwhelmingly gay crowd. Fun to watch for a while IMO but I don't want to spend a week in KW. Maybe one day.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I lived in Key West for several years and go back every couple of years for a few days. If you're looking for gorgeous sandy beaches. . . . look somewhere else. Key West is a drinking town that also has some nice water attractions as well as some neat historical sites. It's gotten stupid expensive since the wuflu so we're probably not going to be going back as often as we used to.

One of the things about KW is the food and drink, the food is awesome regardless if seafood or land based and they don't skimp on the alcohol in your drinks. The people are friendly, the weather is great and it's got a laid back vibe that I've never seen anywhere else. If you have the opportunity you should really drive the keys from Florida City to Key West, don't get in a hurry and don't be afraid to stop at any of the great restaurants and bars along the way. If you're a Bogey fan the African Queen is berthed in Key Largo and offers short cruises around the canals or a dinner cruise which is a lot of fun.

My sister lives in Fort Walton Beach so we drive down there every couple of months to get away for a few days.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Red tide is a problem on the west coast of Florida right now, may want to check ahead to see if it is an issue where you go.

I grew up in Florida and rarely go back because I dislike change. If I do go back it is to Englewood on Manasota Key. The south end of the key is a state park and you can see what Florida use to be. Stump Pass at the south end of the key is a world class fishing destination depending on the time of the year. If you stay at 'Weston's Wanna B Inn' you will seldom need a car, you can spend the day walking the beach, fishing and hunting sharks teeth or you can walk the 300 feet east and kayak the intercoastal and Lemon Bay.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    We went to the Port St. Joe/ St Joe beach area this summer and really loved it...it's very quiet, not much to do

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Fly into Miami. Stay in an old art deco hotel on Ocean Blvd. for a few days. Enjoy the beach and being able to walk to everything. Drive down to the Keys, repeat, fly home, detoxify for the next month.

Dirty Steve

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ???
    Jedi did not bail.
    Jedi continues to read the thread.
    All good ideas.
    Have to decide by weeks end what to do. Did look into Cancun as well but the thought of being stuck in an all inclusive resort is not jedi style.

Jedi would rather drive and see stuff and be able to ask hey where can I eat around here and go to local diners and just explore vs tourist stuff.

So as much as I like the idea of KW based on what others have posted maybe it's not for me.

Maybe I'll just start at Clearwater and work my way to ft. Myers and then maybe drive for 1 day to KW just to get it out of my system and come back to ft myers before going back up.

Unsure...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If you want to drive (not fly) and enjoy kayaks, fishing and beaches, try the Merritt Island area. Drivable, affordable and great fishing. I flew into Miami and drove to Key West. Really great drive albeit a little slow. The nicest beaches in KW require an entry fee. The free beaches, well you get what you pay for. If opting for KW, try to make it out to the Dry Tortugas. The cats at Hemingway's house have six toes.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    ???
    Jedi did not bail.
    Jedi continues to read the thread.
    All good ideas.
    Have to decide by weeks end what to do. Did look into Cancun as well but the thought of being stuck in an all inclusive resort is not jedi style.

Jedi would rather drive and see stuff and be able to ask hey where can I eat around here and go to local diners and just explore vs tourist stuff.

So as much as I like the idea of KW based on what others have posted maybe it's not for me.

Maybe I'll just start at Clearwater and work my way to ft. Myers and then maybe drive for 1 day to KW just to get it out of my system and come back to ft myers before going back up.

Unsure...
    Jedi's plan is good. I would only add that the ex and I floated the itchitucknee and crystal rivers and had a ball. Spring fed crystal clear water.

Top Bottom