• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In years past I have been to Destin (LOVE this beach area), Panama City Beach, and Tampa on the "inside" of FL as well as orlando (tourist nightmare) and vero beach (quiet little place in October) on the Atlantic side of FL.

Tampa is the furthest south I have gone into FL. Loved the seafood in FL and have been able to swim with the dolphins, go kayaking, and snorkeling as well.

Has anyone been further south? Like Miami, fort Myers? Or even key west?
    I have always want to go to key west but timing, money and life have gotten in the way. Unsure if it's worth it? Maybe key largo?

So any recommendation?
    Debating on driving (like I normally do) or fly and rent a car?

I want to stuff my face with fresh seafood. Do some kayaking and swim in the ocean/gulf and just enjoy laying in the sand on the beach. Just get away from this Chicago weather and away from work! I got 10 days of vacation days banked for end of oct or 1st week in November.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am partial to Okaloosa County (Fort Walton Beach/Destin) having spent several years at Eglin AFB. Awesome beaches, not as far as a lot of Florida is from here.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I like the keys. Definitely have a look. We flew into Tampa and flew out of key west. Spent 2 weeks driving all over and seeing what we liked. We went last year. Because of covid after Spain was canceled. As for not Florida. We just got back from Maui because of covid. Maui is really nice and the flights were cheap as well as our Airbnb. Hard to travel internationally because of covid. Damn you COVID!!!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Nah. You are never too old for Key West. Just don't drop your car keys. If you do, kick them back to Miami before you try to pick them up.

Seriously, there is nothing better than making it to Key West and eating fresh Stone Crab at one of the places around the island.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nah. You are never too old for Key West. Just don't drop your car keys. If you do, kick them back to Miami before you try to pick them up.

Seriously, there is nothing better than making it to Key West and eating fresh Stone Crab at one of the places around the island.
    I'd like to visit this place. :)

1634167871249.png

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Have you considered going to "not Florida"?
    :rofl:
    Why NOT Florida vs the Chicago oct/nov weather?

I want to be able to wear shorts, have mid to high 70 or 80s weather, be able to eat fresh seafood, and enjoy the ocean/gulf.

Have though for a second about Texas? Never Louisiana or Alabama. Granted in oct/nov I suspect those states will have colder water.

I prefer NOT to fly if I can.
    I did think of Mexico as they have some cheap deal right now but unsure (safety, flying, food)

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    In years past I have been to Destin (LOVE this beach area), Panama City Beach, and Tampa on the "inside" of FL as well as orlando (tourist nightmare) and vero beach (quiet little place in October) on the Atlantic side of FL.

Tampa is the furthest south I have gone into FL. Loved the seafood in FL and have been able to swim with the dolphins, go kayaking, and snorkeling as well.

Has anyone been further south? Like Miami, fort Myers? Or even key west?
    I have always want to go to key west but timing, money and life have gotten in the way. Unsure if it's worth it? Maybe key largo?

So any recommendation?
    Debating on driving (like I normally do) or fly and rent a car?

I want to stuff my face with fresh seafood. Do some kayaking and swim in the ocean/gulf and just enjoy laying in the sand on the beach. Just get away from this Chicago weather and away from work! I got 10 days of vacation days banked for end of oct or 1st week in November.
    Just got back from 11 days in FL.

KAYAKING. This trip we did the Caladessi state park through the mangroves. $60 to rent a Yak for all day and it's going to take you all day to even see half of what's to offer.

Attachments

• 20211001_142329.jpg
      20211001_142329.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 7
    • 20211001_111310.jpg
      20211001_111310.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 7
    • 20211001_111312.jpg
      20211001_111312.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 7

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Sea Critters for some of the best seafood we've found yet.

Also hit up Ozona while kayaking up there. Here is food and sunset from that place. 5 stars.

Attachments

• 20211001_191533.jpg
      20211001_191533.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 4
    • 20211001_182323.jpg
      20211001_182323.jpg
      3.7 MB · Views: 4
    • 20211001_182320.jpg
      20211001_182320.jpg
      3.9 MB · Views: 4

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We love Sanibel Island near Ft Myers. Take or rent bikes in order to beat the traffic on the island. Go to dinner early to beat the crowds. Miles of beach to explore.

We also like Indian Rocks Beach near Tampa. Once we get there, we usually stay within a few miles of our rental. Lots of cafes and shops on the main drag.

The town of Fort Myers is looking a little run down compared to years past. The beaches south of Ft Myers are pretty nice.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just got back from 11 days in FL.

KAYAKING. This trip we did the Caladessi state park through the mangroves. $60 to rent a Yak for all day and it's going to take you all day to even see half of what's to offer.
    We went to Caladessi Island in July 20 years ago.
    The kids still remember it as Hell Island.
    The sand was so hot it was burning their little feet.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Over several trips to different parts of Florida, I'd rank the areas I've been to in the following order:

1. St. Pete- You might have to drive a little but this area had by far the best food options and most interesting things to do/see and we barely even made it to nearby Tampa. With the Bay and some nearby islands only accessible by boat or ferry there's tons of things to do here.

2. Pensacola- It's similar to Destin but less touristy and with better food options and more to see/do. Fort Pickens is an interesting places to explore.

3. Fort Pierce- Is about as far south as I've been and is about as far south as you can go on the Atlantic side before things either start getting touristy or caught up in the Miami mess. There are good food options but they are harder to find than the first two options and there is a bit less to see and do IMO.

4. Destin- Similar to Pensacola only more tourists and fewer things to do/see.

5. Daytona- The food options are good but the beaches are kind of boring to me in this area and IMO, there are less interesting things to see and do.

6. St. Augustine- We only stayed here for a few days but the food options pretty much sucked, beach access was pretty poor and generally boring, and despite the history, the area didn't seem to have that much to see and do.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It was fun down by Venice. Can find tons of shark teeth (make/buy a sifter). We did an airboat tour that was fun. Gentle waves, lots of beaches. We actually stayed in Bonita Springs

Top Bottom