• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The system put all their eggs in one basket. In this case, the basket didn't take action.

If there were more baskets distributed through the schools, we'd all be in better shape.

As far as training teachers goes, if commercial airline pilots can be trained to be "flight officers" and then be authorized to be armed on their flights, I think volunteers among a school's staff and even outside of the school can be trained to a suitable standard.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was once young, strong, well conditioned and fool hardy. When I heard the shots I hit the deck and hunkered down, behind a concrete wall, for about 1 second. I then realized that my friend was not in a safe place so I high crawled (he said flew) to him and pulled him to a safer place. He had been hit in the meaty part of his calf. The shooting stopped. I did not carry in those days.

I am now older, weaker, in poorer condition and more cautious. I carry now and believe I would defend innocents to the best of my ability.

As for the deputy, it is possible that he was once a very courageous officer and believed that he could do the job. He may not have been able to draw up what he needed that day. He has resigned in disgrace most likely disappointed and even mortified. I would guess he has shed more tears than most of us in the last couple of days.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He has resigned in disgrace most likely disappointed and even mortified. I would guess he has shed more tears than most of us in the last couple of days.

Of that, I have no doubt.

Thanks for your perspective of it.

When I **** up something at my job... it's low risk. Computers and ****.
    It's unfortunate that this is what happened, and we'll never know if his intervention would have helped at all, but it's definitely one of those "what if" things that people will stew on.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As many ingoers and even LEO ingoers have said before, it's not up to the police to protect you, it's up to you. When I hear people say 'why do you need to carry in there wjen they have police with guns?'
    This is an example we can all point to as to why we ALL (cops and non cops) need to be armed all the time.
    I'm glad when off duty cops can carry in places, I'm just not glad when I also can't, but I would NEVER seek to disarm the off duty cops ever because it would be wrong to disarm any citizen. If I was disarmed and needed a gun and a uniformed cop or security guard had one and was failing to act I have no problem taking theirs and using it

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well that sucks but you never know how someone is gonna handle it till they are in it. Sucks someone else who wasn't afraid didn't work that day. Actualy I shouldn't have said not afraid, your be stupid not to be afraid. I should say someone with a better sense of duty

That's true.Most cops have never been shot at and have never shot anyone (outside of some force on force training).
    It's easy to blame the guy online.

Plus we don't really know what happened for sure anyway.

If it's a large school with multiple buildings the officer might have heard the shots in the distance without knowing in which building to go.

He had no idea if there was multiple shooters either.

Maybe he covered the exits while students escaped.

What he waiting for backup? Was he trained to wait for backup before going in?

We don't know enough to call that guy a coward based on a few articles and tweets.

He resigned so maybe he thought he did something wrong but someone who went in and shot the killer might also have resigned, thinking he could have done more and sooner.

You can't really blame one officer when he's all by himself in charge of 3,000 students.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not normally the empathetic personality and I NEVER defend those in authority who do a ****ty job.

So if you are upset with my opinion on this please forgive me.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That's true.Most cops have never been shot at and have never shot anyone (outside of some force on force training).
    It's easy to blame the guy online.

Plus we don't really know what happened for sure anyway.

If it's a large school with multiple buildings the officer might have heard the shots in the distance without knowing in which building to go.

He had no idea if there was multiple shooters either.

Maybe he covered the exits while students escaped.

What he waiting for backup? Was he trained to wait for backup before going in?

We don't know enough to call that guy a coward based on a few articles and tweets.

He resigned so maybe he thought he did something wrong but someone who went in and shot the killer might also have resigned, thinking he could have done more and sooner.

You can't really blame one officer when he's all by himself in charge of 3,000 students.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/report-coral-springs-police-upset-at-some-broward-deputies-for-not-entering-school/

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    And in every school safety meeting I have been involved in the local police are always assuring us they will arrive in time and save the day. History always says other wise.

But what else are they going to say? But then the argument of let the police handle it and the police are the only ones that should have guns and we have nothing to do with securing our own safety arguments just get louder.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And in every school safety meeting I have been involved in the local police are always assuring us they will arrive in time and save the day. History always says other wise.

But what else are they going to say? But then the argument of let the police handle it and the police are the only ones that should have guns and we have nothing to do with securing our own safety arguments just get louder.

The :koolaid: has been consumed Coach. And is a steady diet to the minds of people who are otherwise not simple minded. The die is cast.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    And, so were the next three officers who arrived. They did not enter either.

I haven't been following this at all but has there been anything official from the Sheriff's Department regarding their SOP on active shooters? After Columbine departments started going away from the tactic of setting up a perimeter and waiting for tactical to respond but some places may still have that mentality.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't been following this at all but has there been anything official from the Sheriff's Department regarding their SOP on active shooters? After Columbine departments started going away from the tactic of setting up a perimeter and waiting for tactical to respond but some places may still have that mentality.

Local LEO arrived on scene and went straight in. Deputy's hid behind cars.
    I do hear that one late arriving Deputy went in with the LEO but that was all to late.

Top Bottom