fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    How fast do cichlids grow? Surely I have time before these guys reach full size.....right?

About a week... You're screwed.

LOL! Got ya! [I don't know]

Took the wife and son [15 months old] to the store today to look at some fish... I think I'm starting to reel them in [har har har].

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    About a week... You're screwed.

LOL! Got ya! [I don't know]

Took the wife and son [15 months old] to the store today to look at some fish... I think I'm starting to reel them in [har har har].
    Have you been to the reef up at 55th(?) and keystone yet mike? Lots of cool stuff in there, a bit pricey, by worth a look around if your in that part of town.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Have you been to the reef up at 55th(?) and keystone yet mike? Lots of cool stuff in there, a bit pricey, by worth a look around if your in that part of town.
    Just moved to Camby [just down the street from Bradis] so I haven't been up that way in a while.

That said - I'm not super concerned with cost as much as doing things right the first time. It costs more to do something cheaply twice than to do it right once most times.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Just moved to Camby [just down the street from Bradis] so I haven't been up that way in a while.

That said - I'm not super concerned with cost as much as doing things right the first time. It costs more to do something cheaply twice than to do it right once most times.
    There's knowledgeable people in there, and a really nice selection of fresh and saltwater fish. It's going to be a better learning experiance than you'll get at the big box pet stores.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    The Africans usually don't grow over six or seven inches while the South and Central American Cichlids can reach a foot or more in length and can weight a couple pounds. They grow fast for the first year and then maybe an inch a year thereafter. I bought this Red Devil at four inches a year ago and now it is pushing 11. If you overcrowd your tank when the fish are small you will be selling or giving away fish in six months. I learned the hard way. The fish on the right is a super red dragon flowerhorn cichlid. These can grow quite large and one like this around two inches long can cost a couple hundred dollars and up. This is my next purchase when I can find one locally. The beautiful purple female flowerhorn died on me two weeks ago after raising here from less that two inches to a foot long. Heartbreaker as they can live ten years.

Big red.jpg 1005369_566613683387932_1470974930_n.jpg Flower.jpg
    Red Devil Super Red Dragon Flowerhorn Female Flowerhorn

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Join the Facebook fish forums and save money

There's knowledgeable people in there, and a really nice selection of fresh and saltwater fish. It's going to be a better learning experience than you'll get at the big box pet stores.

There are a lot of people in the Indy area that raise fish and sell them on Facebook Forums for a lot less than the stores and they are probably healthier. Learn a lot from them too. A good one is Indiana Cichlid and Monster Fish Keepers and another is Midwest Cichlid Fanatics. I bought my four inch Red Devil from a member for $10 and you would pay $40 or more in the LFS for one this size and quality. There are others too; do a search on Facebook for aquarium fish or a specific like African Cichlids or angle fish and you will find all the information you will ever need and it will be good info. They also sell tanks and other equipment cheap on these forums.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    There's knowledgeable people in there, and a really nice selection of fresh and saltwater fish. It's going to be a better learning experiance than you'll get at the big box pet stores.
    I had not planned on trying to learn anything from a big-box store... Better to do my research on here and to join/browse some enthusiast sites for those that keep aquariums :).

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I had not planned on trying to learn anything from a big-box store... Better to do my research on here and to join/browse some enthusiast sites for those that keep aquariums :).
    You'd be surprised how many do, some of the employees are pretty knowledgable, others, not so much! I think michiana has some good points, if those groups sell live stock like that, it would be an excellent place to learn and acquire some fish!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    he prefers the 55 gal... I'm gonna work the decors a bit and see if that helps.

Btw, have you ever seen a fishtank heater melt the plastic holder?
    No, can't say that I have. It might be stuck in the on posistion. If a heater fails it usually fails in the on posistion. Keep a sharp eye on your temp, we don't want boiled fish!

Top Bottom