fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Buy the largest tank you can afford; you won't be sorry.

I started two years ago with the good old 10 gallon and worked my way up to a 125 in less than a year. Wish I had bought a 220. Stick with Cichlids and you won't be sorry.
    Flowerhorn Cichlids are very popular now, but like Oscars they can grow to over a foot long. Great fish to watch moving sand and rocks to arrange their home. Bought this new one and had to set up my 20 gal and I have a Oscar, Red Devil and another Flowerhorn with a couple others in the 125. Had to put a divider in the tank to protect the Oscar from the other two; once they get larger they can become aggressive to other fish in the tank.

new fish.jpg fish tanks before turkey day.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I started two years ago with the good old 10 gallon and worked my way up to a 125 in less than a year. Wish I had bought a 220. Stick with Cichlids and you won't be sorry.
    Flowerhorn Cichlids are very popular now, but like Oscars they can grow to over a foot long. Great fish to watch moving sand and rocks to arrange their home. Bought this new one and had to set up my 20 gal and I have a Oscar, Red Devil and another Flowerhorn with a couple others in the 125. Had to put a divider in the tank to protect the Oscar from the other two; once they get larger they can become aggressive to other fish in the tank.

View attachment 23633 View attachment 23634
    thats a good looking fish!

Caleb you might start with 2 to build up your bacteria. Of course this reply is probably late considering our earlier conversation:D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

View attachment 23633 View attachment 23634

I got this 55 gal for free, should work until I need to go bigger(which I want to do eventually).

thats a good looking fish!

Caleb you might start with 2 to build up your bacteria. Of course this reply is probably late considering our earlier conversation:D

Ended up with 5 jacobfreibergi cichlids.... $15 a pop, but didn't pay that.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The rainbow shark is chasing the cichlids...should I be concerned?
    If he doesn't give them a break in a bit you might want to put him back in the 10, the whole ordeal they went through today is stressful enough without getting picked on at your new home too.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If he doesn't give them a break in a bit you might want to put him back in the 10, the whole ordeal they went through today is stressful enough without getting picked on at your new home too.

I'll keep an eye on them and see if it gets toned down...the cichlids are just staying in the corner

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'll keep an eye on them and see if it gets toned down...the cichlids are just staying in the corner
    do you have anything in there for them to get shelter in? That will help if they can get under cover. You might try turning the light off to, that seems to calm them down a little, at least it works with my fish.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    do you have anything in there for them to get shelter in? That will help if they can get under cover. You might try turning the light off to, that seems to calm them down a little, at least it works with my fish.

I have some older decor...a bridge and a weird log like thing, the log decor is jagged so I'm not sure if I should put that in or not

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You might try some clay pots, the orange ones used for plants, I can't remember the name but those would work until you can get some rock work going on.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I turned the lights off in the tank and removed the shark...they seem at ease now.

IMG_20131129_194418_638_zpsd6347823.jpg

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/c.../VID_20131129_195116_166_zpsd2bebf81.mp4.html

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Notice how one cichlid is darker then the other four? I think I have a male and four ho-bags for the lucky stud....

Speaking of which, can my tank hold medium sized stones? I think I'm going to build a stone area where they can sneak into and another area for a spawning area...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Notice how one cichlid is darker then the other four? I think I have a male and four ho-bags for the lucky stud....

Speaking of which, can my tank hold medium sized stones? I think I'm going to build a stone area where they can sneak into and another area for a spawning area...
    Looks like your going to have a lot of "lovin's" in there :D

you should be able to put medium size rocks in there, just make sure they are stacked good, you don't want them falling over! Does inland still sell dry rock for like $3 a pound? That would probably work great if it's the same stuff they used to have.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Looks like your going to have a lot of "lovin's" in there :D

you should be able to put medium size rocks in there, just make sure they are stacked good, you don't want them falling over! Does inland still sell dry rock for like $3 a pound? That would probably work great if it's the same stuff they used to have.

yea they did...all the holes were a bit small I think. I was thinking about some medium sized rocks and some pvc pipes under couple rocks to allow safe passageway

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    yea they did...all the holes were a bit small I think. I was thinking about some medium sized rocks and some pvc pipes under couple rocks to allow safe passageway
    That would work, just make sure you get pipe big enough for their full grown size so they can keep their territory. If you use the regular rock, you would just stack it so there are cave and crevices for them to get into.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That would work, just make sure you get pipe big enough for their full grown size so they can keep their territory. If you use the regular rock, you would just stack it so there are cave and crevices for them to get into.

The question I hadn't got answered yet....how tall are they are full grown?

Top Bottom