fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    After reviewing this video, the guy makes an excellent case for using acrylic paint...cheap, no overspray, many colors to choose from, cheap, easy to roll on, and easy to remove.

[video=youtube;EqWAl5TpzY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWAl5TpzY0[/video]

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Wow, how did I miss this thread? Must be because I seem to be spending more time lately on fish forums than INGO, lol.

Didn't go through the whole thread, but what have you decided on?

I'm running a 75 gallon with African cichlids (Malawi Haps, Peacocks, and Mbuna), a 29 gallon planted community tank in my sons room (Oto cats, Ram cichlids, farlowella cat, some shrimp, tetras, snakeskin barbs, and hatchetfish), and starting on a planted 40 gallon breeder tank in my room with a little bit more aquascaping, for assorted fancy shrimp, probably some celestial pearl danios, and some Badis and Scarlet Badis...

I got back into fish keeping hard in the last year or so...

I see some discussion of background...
    Two of my tanks have 3D background, one has black spraypaint, both ways look good, depending on what you want. Spray paint is relatively quick, and really easy, and really cheap.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I got on their live chat to figure out what size I needed, no help whatsoever. I know grown cichlids are usually around 6", maybe up to 8" but I yet to see how wide and tall they get. I want to buy them for the long term...

Depends on the type of cichlid... Oscars can get really big (think 14"+), I've got a Malawi Eyebiter and Venustus that will both probably push 10", and some of the South American cichlids get really big. Most of mine should max out around 6-7" or so though... And they can be pretty thick.

If you've got a thick skin (I've learned the hard way), monsterfishkeepers.com has TONS of good info, specializing in large fish, and large cichlids are really popular over there. I spend a lot of time on that forum lately.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    After reviewing this video, the guy makes an excellent case for using acrylic paint...cheap, no overspray, many colors to choose from, cheap, easy to roll on, and easy to remove.

[video=youtube;EqWAl5TpzY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWAl5TpzY0[/video]
    I tried to roll it on on my 30, no good! Unless he has a really good way to roll it on, I suggest just spraying it.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wow, how did I miss this thread? Must be because I seem to be spending more time lately on fish forums than INGO, lol.

Didn't go through the whole thread, but what have you decided on?

I'm running a 75 gallon with African cichlids (Malawi Haps, Peacocks, and Mbuna), a 29 gallon planted community tank in my sons room (Oto cats, Ram cichlids, farlowella cat, some shrimp, tetras, snakeskin barbs, and hatchetfish), and starting on a planted 40 gallon breeder tank in my room with a little bit more aquascaping, for assorted fancy shrimp, probably some celestial pearl danios, and some Badis and Scarlet Badis...

I got back into fish keeping hard in the last year or so...

I see some discussion of background...
    Two of my tanks have 3D background, one has black spraypaint, both ways look good, depending on what you want. Spray paint is relatively quick, and really easy, and really cheap.

African cichlids...still doing some research.

Depends on the type of cichlid... Oscars can get really big (think 14"+), I've got a Malawi Eyebiter and Venustus that will both probably push 10", and some of the South American cichlids get really big. Most of mine should max out around 6-7" or so though... And they can be pretty thick.

If you've got a thick skin (I've learned the hard way), monsterfishkeepers.com has TONS of good info, specializing in large fish, and large cichlids are really popular over there. I spend a lot of time on that forum lately.

I'll have to check them out....what's your username on there?

I tried to roll it on on my 30, no good! Unless he has a really good way to roll it on, I suggest just spraying it.

The guy said you had to use a quality sponge filter...I'll probably try it, it'd only cost a couple bucks.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Got my paint...once I find a big bin to store my water for a bit, I'll put out the tank and stand and pain the back...can't wait!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Operation: Acrylic

IMG_20131126_200614_335_zps899494ab.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Probably because of the 30 gallon that I want to redo and the 90 gallon that's not holding water yet. Not to mention the 10 gallon salt quarintine tank in the boys room and the 5 gallon in my daughters room, no place to put one in the kitchen, and I won't put it in the bedroom cause the first thing I'd do is stub my toe on it in the dark!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Probably because of the 30 gallon that I want to redo and the 90 gallon that's not holding water yet. Not to mention the 10 gallon salt quarintine tank in the boys room and the 5 gallon in my daughters room, no place to put one in the kitchen, and I won't put it in the bedroom cause the first thing I'd do is stub my toe on it in the dark!

I wish I could have that 90 gal tank...I'm just getting this 55 gal up and running and already want to go bigger...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My username on MFK is the same as here.

Shot of my 75gallon cichlid tank with 3D background, when it was freshly filled. Lots more rockwork in it now.
    8544909111_eef625d70e_b.jpg

Apparently most of my shots of my community tank are on my phone only at the moment. Need to get updated shots of my fish too...

Be careful, fishkeeping can be as addictive as guns and tattoos... I'm into all 3, plus cigars... I have to restrain myself from acquiring any more hobbies, LOL!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Looks good Caleb! So I guess the foam roller is the way to go huh?

I'd wish I'd bought a better roller, mine was flimsy. It appears the trick is one light coat going one direction, wait an hour or more then thick coat going perpendicular direction.

Top Bottom