• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, I've been invited by some friends to shoot steel plate and I was hoping someone here would be kind (or bored) enough to summarize what I'm going to see and do. Yeah I know I can probably find a bunch of descriptive pages on the internet but since I'll be shooting here locally I imagine many of you can tell me all I'll need to know.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You will have an awesome time. My first experience was so, because it was much harder that I expected. If you are anything like me, shooting in a steel match, and very used to paper targets, you will find it challenging and enjoyable. To shoot against time and fellow shooters gives you a sense, although VERY slight, how you MAY react in a real situation. Shooting at a target that seems so close, but then missing it after three very rushed shots can be somewhat demoralizing when you consider how you can place target groups the size of a fifty cents piece at 12 yards. Overall, you will have the opportunity to assess your ability and take notes from the more experienced shooters, as well. Have fun!

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    ROCKHOPPER --

Here is a blurb I wrote for an Open House we did at Atlanta Conservation Club last year ::

STEEL CHALLENGE

IN A NUT-SHELL

SCSA :: STEEL CHALLENGE SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION

THERE WILL BE 5 STEEL TARGETS IN FRONT OF YOU.
    ONE OF THEM IS THE “STOP PLATE”. SHOOT IT LAST.
    HIT THE OTHER 4 PLATES FIRST, ANY ORDER YOU LIKE.
    USE AS MANY SHOTS AS YOU NEED TO HIT EACH PLATE ONCE.
    SHOOT THE STOP PLATE TO STOP THE TIMER.

THAT COMPLETES ONE “STRING”.
    IN A “STAGE”, WE SHOOT 5 STRINGS AND ADD UP THE TIMES FOR THE BEST 4. EACH BAY WILL HAVE ONE STAGE SET UP IN IT.
    A MATCH CONSISTS OF 4 OR 5 STAGES

TODAY’S STAGE IS CALLED “SMOKE AND HOPE”. SMOKE THE FIRST 4 TARGETS, THEN HOPE YOU CAN HIT THE STOP PLATE . . .

ACC STEEL MATCHES ARE ON THE 3RD SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH, PROVIDED THE WEATHER IS HALFWAY COOPERATIVE. WE SHOOT IN THE RAIN AND SNOW, BUT NOT WHEN THE RANGE IS ICY, OR THE TEMPERATURE IS BELOW 22* F. SAFETY BECOMES AN ISSUE WHEN IT’S THAT COLD BECAUSE YOU CAN’T FEEL YOUR FINGERS. ON RARE OCCASIONS THE RANGE GETS FLOODED – WE DON’T SHOOT THOSE DAYS EITHER.

GIVE IT A SHOT !!!

I am the match director for the SCSA matches at ACC. I am happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Steel Challenge (SCSA) matches are on the third Saturday of each month at Atlanta Conservation Club. 29595 Leonard Road, Atlanta, IN. Set-Up starts at 8am. Registration starts at 9am. Bang and Clang at 10am. More info at :: Atlanta Conservation Club

Also, Marion County Fish and Game has Friday Night Steel on the second Friday (I think) of each month.

For almost ALL matches in Indiana, see BigDave's very informative pages :: Indygunracers.com - Indiana Competition Shooting Information

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    I don't know about the webmaster for that site, seems kinda shady...

Do you know Dave -- and that's an inside joke ??? (Nothing shady about it, just a calendar of the shooting matches at varouus clubs in Indiana, and a listing of some knives he has for sale. If that's what you are getting at -- a link to items for sale without INGO blessing -- then I apologise.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Do you know Dave -- and that's an inside joke ??? (Nothing shady about it, just a calendar of the shooting matches at varouus clubs in Indiana, and a listing of some knives he has for sale. If that's what you are getting at -- a link to items for sale without INGO blessing -- then I apologise.

heh, yeah I know Dave.

Kind of a shooting mentor and I've bought a few knives from him as well. ;)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Shoot'n Steel1

It's the most fun you'll ever have with a gun. Been to a couple of matches, wish I had time to do more. And If you want some unstructured steel fun. Watch for the next Bobcat Steel AR500 demo. Had a blast at the last one in New Castle. Nothing more fun that seeing a big hunk of steel dance around after being hit by a 8mm at 30yrds. Then seeing other rifle rounds turn into a cloud lead powder at 75yrds. Check the events section here for his next demo!

Top Bottom