First time shooting a gun, how does it feel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    11.png
    I have no idea what it feels like to kill anyone. I've helped a lot of people die. It is a wonderful, soul-searing, beautiful, heart-wrenching, oddly religious feeling, hugely humbling, incredibly rewarding feeling I've ever had. I highly recommend it.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    The first time it goes off its usually a surprise if not downright shocking. For some it's even a bit of a letdown.

But, with practice comes more control. With control comes more confidence. With confidence cones relaxation. With relaxation comes pleasure.

Wait....... what?
    Ummm.....we're still talking about guns, right? :@ya:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Mine is easy to remember. 12 yrs old, father throws a corn cob up in the air. 12gauge double barrel and some how both barrels let go at the same time. Thought the old man was gonna wet himself laughing! No corn cob left to see.
    Next was a 7mm mag, thought I broke my shoulder! What a day that was!

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    See, this is totally a family-friendly recreation activity! I don't get it why some people would put hate on this
    I can understand some families not being into it, I also understand that it's not for everyone especially since it can turn into an extremely expensive hobby and the cost is a major factor for a lot of people. But I absolutely agree that when it is something that is absolutely a family activity. I grew up shooting and most of my life my father has brought me up in the industry as he's owned shops in the past so for me it has been a lifestyle, my girlfriend doesn't shoot much with me but continually supports me in my competitive shooting.

A lot of it for her and I as well is that as we travel we will always stop at gun shops, and in exchange I stop at every record store with her. During the last ammo crisis she would come and wait in line with me at Academy and other stores to help me buy and would also buy whatever ammo she saw. For a lot of people though I think the fear definitely comes from the media, While for us in the forum guns are a way of life for others they only see it as something that takes a life, even though most bullets that are ever produced will never go through anything other than a piece of paper.

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    I can understand some families not being into it, I also understand that it's not for everyone especially since it can turn into an extremely expensive hobby and the cost is a major factor for a lot of people. But I absolutely agree that when it is something that is absolutely a family activity. I grew up shooting and most of my life my father has brought me up in the industry as he's owned shops in the past so for me it has been a lifestyle, my girlfriend doesn't shoot much with me but continually supports me in my competitive shooting.

A lot of it for her and I as well is that as we travel we will always stop at gun shops, and in exchange I stop at every record store with her. During the last ammo crisis she would come and wait in line with me at Academy and other stores to help me buy and would also buy whatever ammo she saw. For a lot of people though I think the fear definitely comes from the media, While for us in the forum guns are a way of life for others they only see it as something that takes a life, even though most bullets that are ever produced will never go through anything other than a piece of paper.
    Instant jealous of your relationship, mate I am speechless for your post.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What, no shoulder bruising? no getting the wind knocked out from the bazooka-like power? No days of recovery from the PTSD? say it isn't so!

In case you want a more public venue than asking for 1 on 1 shooting, check out the INGO open shoots in the local events section. Not just one friendly face and arsenal to explore but many.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I remember shooting my grandpa's 22 single shot for the first time. It was probably a little too heavy for me, but I did hit a bullseye once. The next morning he took me squirrel hunting.
    After he passed I got the rifle. It's hanging on my wall.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    First shots were with a Winchester 190 .22 rifle when I was eight years old. Started my daughters out on a Chipmonk .22 rifle when they reached five years old.
    My wife asks why I have so many different types of guns? I tell her that each one has its own feel and characteristics when I pull the trigger. Markmanship is an enjoyable activity that forces one to focus and become smooth and efficient. A day at the range is very relaxing.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    I know like there should be already a post about it, but how does it feel like?
    My first time experience of shooting a gun was last year, and it was pretty staggering. My plan includes 4 types of ammunition, which are 9mm, .308winchester, 7.62*39, and the ordinary 12 Guage, before that I only shot airsoft, so obviously it was a much louder, but also much expensive.... (yeah they charge 4 people each almost 140 Canadian Dollars to four person each...)

As heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    we have a thread on it, somewhere around here

Top Bottom