• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fundy88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    United States
    Well I have been looking into building my own rifle. I want to do an AK 47 with my husband but after reading some other threads I am hesitant for this to be my first build because of the tools that are required depending on how much from scratch you want to start at and it seems to be a big project for a beginner to start with. So I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on a build to start with before I jump into something I may not be ready for. I have read that ar 15's are a good build to start with. Any other recommendations even if it not a rifle I am just really interested in building guns. Maybe there are some classes that some of you may recommend too would be helpful too.
    Mary

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    I just finished my first build and I like the way you are thinking. I elected to go with the AR15. There is lots of information and step by step instructions available. I went with the Palmetto state armory build kit. I have to say that it was quite simple. I purchased a stripped lower and a rifle kit and when I got it all put together, It functioned perfectly. Keep in mind that the rifle kit includes a completed upper, so I didnt have to install the barrel or the gas system. It was fun and a good learning experience and now I think Im ready for a more inclusive build. My next one will be another ar with a 20 inch barrel. Coming soon. Have fun.

jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    I dont know anything about building an AK but i did build my first AR and it was straight forward and i though pretty simple. I went a little different than hntrroy and bought each individual piece and had no problems putting it all together. I just did alot of research and watched youtube vids. The only special tools i used were a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench other that the other tools i need are basic toolds most everyone has.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    An AR is gonna be much easier. It USED to be an ak build was a cheaper route, but unfortunately that's not really the case anymore. I would say start with an AR, but keep an eye on an ak kit at a reasonable price and then show up to an ak build party. There has been discussions here and there about doing another one. Some of the guys on here are very good with aks! There are much less tools involved with an AR build, and you are typically using new parts, not Commy crap torched apart years ago! ;). Whatever you decide you will have fun!

Top Bottom