• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys just got back from my first range trip with my first hand gun. I shot at Pop guns and after reading reviews on INGO i was a little surprised. everybody I dealt with was very friendly and helpful. I will admit that the ventilation sucks balls and of course there prices are high (both range and for sale firearms).

Anyway I took my buddy who we have both shot very few hand guns. We were shooting my S&W SD9. We put 200 rounds through it. half WWB and half Federal. I was very happy with the way the gun felt in my hand and I always have. Recoil is very manageable. We had no FTF or FTE.

So here is the problem. We were both shooting low. My groups were decent but they were low on target. I know this gun has a heavier than normal trigger. Could this be the problem? Is this something that will get better with practice. What other problems may I be having? Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong and what I can do to fix my problem would be great. You guys are all so full of knowledge so please HELP ME BE A BETTER SHOT.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yeah... we're full of something, all right!
    Congratulations on your new gun! Nothing like it, is there?
    Anyhoo, the smart guys who know about Smiths will be along shortly to help you with the low shooting thing...

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    A heavy trigger will make it more difficult to shoot accurately, but practice is your friend. Dry firing at home will help A LOT. When you dry fire the gun should not move at all when you pull the trigger. Another good drill is the ball dummy drill. At the range, have your friend load your mag and put a dummy round in a random position. If your trigger control is good, the gun won't move when you pull the trigger. This is a good test to see if you are anticipating the recoil, which is common even for more experienced shooters.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming your trigger control is reasonable, one of the more common reasons for shooting low is looking over the top of the gun to see the holes in the paper before the bullet has exited the barrel. When you do it, the muzzle depresses and your shots go low. I call it "admiring your own work." Try keeping your visual focus on the front sight.

Hey guys just got back from my first range trip with my first hand gun. I shot at Pop guns and after reading reviews on INGO i was a little surprised. everybody I dealt with was very friendly and helpful. I will admit that the ventilation sucks balls and of course there prices are high (both range and for sale firearms).

Anyway I took my buddy who we have both shot very few hand guns. We were shooting my S&W SD9. We put 200 rounds through it. half WWB and half Federal. I was very happy with the way the gun felt in my hand and I always have. Recoil is very manageable. We had no FTF or FTE.

So here is the problem. We were both shooting low. My groups were decent but they were low on target. I know this gun has a heavier than normal trigger. Could this be the problem? Is this something that will get better with practice. What other problems may I be having? Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong and what I can do to fix my problem would be great. You guys are all so full of knowledge so please HELP ME BE A BETTER SHOT.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In combination with what Rhino said, its probably a trigger control issue. Anticipating the shot, flinching. No big deal. You're not a wuss for flinching. We all do it. Learning to hit that surprise break consistantly and quickly, shot after shot is what practice is for.

Get some dummy rounds for your pistol. Have your buddy load your mag and watch you and your pistol. As you shoot, you will come to a dummy round. Your buddy should notice you nosedive your pistol when it goes "click" instead of bang.

If that happens, you will have your answer. I have seen it in every shooter I have ever diagnosed who was stringing his shots low or low left.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Either that or you are anticipating the recoil. A guy next to me at a range asked why he kept shooting low to the left, I told him he was anticipating the recoil so he was shoving the barrel down. He said he didnt realize it and low and behold he started hitting black.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    One of the problems I diagnosed in myself when shooting low center was that I was sort of hanging my head to see out of the top of my progressive bifocal lenses :rolleyes: Once I lifted my hands higher so that I could look straight down the barrel with my chin up, the target hits raised up as well.

Take a look at this--

http://bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Last edited:

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys all great advice. After reading your advice I did realize that I was shooting low left. The recoil anticipation is not something I thought about, but I think that is probably something I need to work on. I really like the Dummy round suggestion and will definitely try that. As always practice makes perfect I am sure. But I really want to improve my shot. Keep the knowledge coming guys. Once again thanks.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hey guys all great advice. After reading your advice I did realize that I was shooting low left. The recoil anticipation is not something I thought about, but I think that is probably something I need to work on. I really like the Dummy round suggestion and will definitely try that. As always practice makes perfect I am sure. But I really want to improve my shot. Keep the knowledge coming guys. Once again thanks.

Low left to about 7 O'clock for the right-handed shooter is almost always a PIP (Pre-Ignition Push!) I am all too well acquainted with it. :)

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Low left to about 7 O'clock for the right-handed shooter is almost always a PIP (Pre-Ignition Push!) I am all too well acquainted with it.

So other than practice practice and dummy rounds are there any other tactics I can use or practice to correct this. Thanks

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Already mentioned above, but I'll re-emphasize it: dry fire practice. It is free and although it doesn't fix the flinching, it can help tremendously with trigger control. Also, many ranges don't allow holster draws for safety reasons. You can practice that along with dry firing.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    If I am not mistaken the SD9 has a flat top front sight. During your dry fire practice, balance an empty piece of brass on the front sight until you can squeeze the trigger without the casing falling off.

Top Bottom