• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My first thought was the bark got skinned off that side years ago then over time grew over. I have numerous trees like this in my woods that got scraped during the first logging about 15 years ago. But by the size of that tree, that event would have been 100+ years ago.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Found one of those in a chunk of firewood a few years ago...

B5LdVq9l.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Bought a new 25” stihl bar yesterday.. my old bars was ready. Trying it out tomorrow
    Nothing like a sharp chain and a new bar
    Also bought a new sprocket greaser
    That big ash I started working on seems very hard. It burn’s great so far
    Which saw is it for? Did you get the lightweight bar? I've been buying the Oregon brand from Menards that includes a new chain. They're not expensive and I'm so hard on them I would be angry if I bought a Stihl brand and trashed it after only a few trips to the woods. :facepalm:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Which saw is it for? Did you get the lightweight bar? I've been buying the Oregon brand from Menards that includes a new chain. They're not expensive and I'm so hard on them I would be angry if I bought a Stihl brand and trashed it after only a few trips to the woods. :facepalm:
    It’s for my ms460. I had a woodland pro bar on it from Baileys. It had many hours of use. Somehow it was bent..? I noticed yesterday when I switched from the 311 to the 460
    I have had great success with the woodland bars and chains.. Asplundh runs them so I tried the brand several years ago and I haven’t seen any real difference between a Stihl bar/chain and the woodland brand

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I think I’m going to try to market my firewood starting in May. Any opinions on this?

It’s ash, cherry, hickory, oak, and walnut. Dried 8-13 months. I’d price it higher, a cord would figure to $440, but offer discounts for returning customers and higher volumes. This cord will not fit in the back of a 1/2 ton short bed pickup since it is an honest 128 cubic feet.

If I was a buyer, I’d want wood for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and I would know heating season would probably drive the price up.

Reality speaks to me though, as I remember telling people to buy hay in June and I don’t hear from them until they’re panicked in November.

What say these firewood cutters?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I’m going to try to market my firewood starting in May. Any opinions on this?

It’s ash, cherry, hickory, oak, and walnut. Dried 8-13 months. I’d price it higher, a cord would figure to $440, but offer discounts for returning customers and higher volumes. This cord will not fit in the back of a 1/2 ton short bed pickup since it is an honest 128 cubic feet.

If I was a buyer, I’d want wood for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and I would know heating season would probably drive the price up.

Reality speaks to me though, as I remember telling people to buy hay in June and I don’t hear from them until they’re panicked in November.

What say these firewood cutters?
    A cord = 3 ricks, yes? Nearly 150 bucks a rick seems excessive to me. I know I wouldn't pay that much. That's getting up near gas station wood prices.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    A cord = 3 ricks, yes? Nearly 150 bucks a rick seems excessive to me. I know I wouldn't pay that much. That's getting up near gas station wood prices.
    Not trying to sound cheap and I heat with wood so I know the effort it takes
    Some people would pay that but none of the folks around here could.. maybe in your area..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not trying to sound cheap and I heat with wood so I know the effort it takes
    Some people would pay that but none of the folks around here could.. maybe in your area..
    I haven't even had a fire in the fireplace for the past couple of years and most of the wood I have on hand now is from a big maple tree that I had taken down, but the last time I bought wood I paid about $50/rick* from a buddy whose nephew had a tree business and kept him supplied.

*For that price, I helped split it and loaded and hauled it myself.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Well, no fence post or anything else that I've found in that white oak. Ive cut around the edges of those swelled areas and i dont see much difference in the grain. I still have about 19 feet of twenty inch log to go. I thought about trying to have some sawn into lumber since its good all the way through, but it'll probably just end up in the stove next year.

1000001914.jpg
    1000001915.jpg

Top Bottom