• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In our previous episode, we were talking about what the .gov has done to the wood stove industry, the neighbor's shed full of lumber, and ghuns putting his kid to work splitting up rounds.

And go!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I’ve cut some rounds, but it’s been too warm and too wet to get excited. I split a SxS load today with an axe. A freeze would be helpful so I could get my tractor and splitter back to the wood pile.
    Same here. As much as we'd like to be spending a lot of our time splitting for fall 2024, doing so in this above freezing & wet weather would just result in mud on everything and everywhere. And it doesn't look too promising for the 2nd week of this year either.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Same. I have been able to stay out of the mud working down the road..
    I have a tree I need identified, burns great. Pleasant smell when cutting it and burning. Only find it close to the edge of the woods.. most I have cut were dead and 6”-10” in diameter. The next one is 40’ tall and 24” in diameter and also dead. I will get pictures of it someday.. on 3rd shift for awhile and have not had much time to spot/work on getting trees marked.
    Have a hard maple or two to take down and I have someone on INGO wanting to try out a saw! Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday morning

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My wife and I were going to head up north next weekend to cut some oak. Uh, no. Single digit temps. No way in he!!.
    As I've completed my 60th trip around the sun, I hear you brother. But the OG and I bundle up with insulated coveralls and get busy in those temps and get things done. Sunshine helps a lot in these circumstances, if not we're not as motivated.

008.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    As I've completed my 60th trip around the sun, I hear you brother. But the OG and I bundle up with insulated coveralls and get busy in those temps and get things done. Sunshine helps a lot in these circumstances, if not we're not as motivated.

View attachment 323884
    I've no problem WORKING in it. It's getting the cabin warmed up and keeping it comfy that's the problem. LOL.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well stove is working fine now after my debacle got a brush down it cleaned it all up. Now my next question for the wood masters here….. how hard would it be to install a clean out?

If I could have a clean out it would be great drop the brush down one time then shop vac the crud off the top of the oven…. Without disassembling the chimney pipe each time.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    In our previous episode, we were talking about what the .gov has done to the wood stove industry, the neighbor's shed full of lumber, and ghuns putting his kid to work splitting up rounds.

And go!
    Could you explain the part about the gov and the wood stove industry? I am looking into a wood stove in the future. Interested to learn what your talking about.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    To add on the .gov topic:
    The non drawn out version is the fact they don't like us blowing a chitload of smoke out our chimneys. All new production stoves now have either a: a catalytic device or b: a secondary air/baffle system. Both of these objects basically reburn smoke which is wasted fuel. Not a bad idea in theory but by adding these devices stoves are now much more picky on fuel supply moisture levels.

The plus side of this is that both types of newer stoves are more efficient than the old smoke dragon types.

Cats need cleaning, baffles need replaced from time to time so both types have added some maintenance to what used to be basically a steel box that made heat.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I may revisit getting a wood stove or boiler installed... not sure I can have enough bonfires to burn this wood...
    d439b18cfcb53b795458e090e919ffe6.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Same. I have been able to stay out of the mud working down the road..
    I have a tree I need identified, burns great. Pleasant smell when cutting it and burning. Only find it close to the edge of the woods.. most I have cut were dead and 6”-10” in diameter. The next one is 40’ tall and 24” in diameter and also dead. I will get pictures of it someday.. on 3rd shift for awhile and have not had much time to spot/work on getting trees marked.
    Have a hard maple or two to take down and I have someone on INGO wanting to try out a saw! Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday morning
    :whistle:

Top Bottom