Not open for further replies.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My MS311 took a dump on me today.. hoping it’s just the clutch. Starts just fine but drive does not work.. I was cutting some briars the chain stopping rolling.. pulled cover off really nothing under the cover so pulling the clutch out tonight. Probably have a spare but going to the dealer tomorrow to get another oem clutch and roller bearing.
    Dropped a good sized ash with my other saw.. I always carry 2 and sliced it up and headed out at sunlight to fetch it and get in before the rain makes everything a mess again
    Got into my saw and cleaned up the clutch and sticking brake. All good and going to tackle a tall white oak that’s been dead for a while.. years. Fields are slop so it’s going to be a muddy and sloppy trip

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Got into my saw and cleaned up the clutch and sticking brake. All good and going to tackle a tall white oak that’s been dead for a while.. years. Fields are slop so it’s going to be a muddy and sloppy trip

Here’s the oak that’s next .. after the snowmageden that we’re supposed to get.;)
    C58840DD-983A-4361-B242-3C02D586AF69.jpeg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Here’s the oak that’s next .. after the snowmageden that we’re supposed to get.;)
    View attachment 250354
    It’s about 70’ tall and maybe 25” at the base. Planning on dropping it into the field but hoping to have it freeze up so it doesn’t submerge in the slop. I took a load out Tuesday and I was really throwing the mud all over the trailer and the wood itself
    Headed out soon in just the ranger to cut ahead and clean a path into the woods. So much good ash there and most of it is about knee to waist level off the ground.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Looks like you have some spalting going in that log on the lower right of the photo.
    That’s just one of limbs with bark still on it and it did have some of the orange fungus in spots
    Never had an issue with it.. is there something about I should know??
    Most of the bark fell off when it hit the ground
    It's cool how ash will burn down and the ash that's left is super light and fluffy compared to other woods like oak or elm.
    yes. Not much ashes left and I usually clean the boiler out a few times a season.
    Wait for a windy day and a flat shovel and broadcast it with the wind

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That’s just one of limbs with bark still on it and it did have some of the orange fungus in spots
    Never had an issue with it.. is there something about I should know??
    Most of the bark fell off when it hit the ground

yes. Not much ashes left and I usually clean the boiler out a few times a season.
    Wait for a windy day and a flat shovel and broadcast it with the wind

Spalting is a decorative look from fungus infestation and is something wood workers prize. Here's a piece I made from some maple we cut up last year. The thin black lines are the tell tale marks of it getting started.

1805.jpg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Spalting is a decorative look from fungus infestation and is something wood workers prize. Here's a piece I made from some maple we cut up last year. The thin black lines are the tell tale marks of it getting started.

View attachment 252242
    If you’re interested in it come get it. Or I can pull it out and put it in the shed if it would be a bit before you come..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom