Finally scored some powder for loading 300 blk, school me on dies...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I FINALLY found some powder. I am in need of a good set of dies. I've read mixed reviews about the Lee set (I use their pistol dies and they're fine for that).

I have a BUNCH of .223 brass that I can process over, and from the reviews I've seen about Lee dies, they are hit or miss at hitting SAAMI chamber specs.

That being said, I think I will probably use the Lee factory crimp die, because it's seems to give the best uniform crimp for feeding in an auto. But what about the other dies? What brands do you guys use?

For these rounds, I will mostly be loading supers as I don't have a Can yet. Thx!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've probably done 1500 rounds with the Lee 300 BLK set and have no complaints at all. I have the 4-die set and their crimp die works perfectly. Most of my cases are cut-down .223/5.56 cases but both those and factory loaded cases have worked fine.

By the way, I posted a while back with lots of detail and photos on my getting started with 300 BLK reloading. I'm sure you can find it as quickly as I can.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I read it. I'm just looking for an opinion on the dies. Apparently Lee's QC on the 300blk dies leaves something to be desired on certain chambers, as if sizing .223 to .300 it wouldn't chamber a round, and the case mouths were deburred already, something about the factory sizing die for .223 being needed to size them to .223, and then to .300 blk. If I'm going to buy another die set to get it to work, I just will buy another die set. Thanks for the post though.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I'm using rcbs ar dies. I've had a couple issues ( user induced ) with stuck cases. I narrowed it down to the lubes I was using. I switched to rcbs lube and haven't looked back. As far as supers I would highly recommend Sierra hollow point varminter 110 grain. As with the majority of Sierra bullets I've worked with the hpv are highly accurate and fairly priced.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I use Hornady dies for 300blk. So far no issues that I know of die related.

I wouldn't use a separate crimp for 300blk, seems like a lot of guys have issues with them cycling, extra pressure needed to get the bullet started kind of thing.

I use a light crimp on the Hornady dies and so far it's been great with 9.2gr of 5744

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I use Redding Dies with a Dillon ".30 cal other" funnel to allow for slight bell (if using some of the polycoated cast bullets, so much easier) & Lee Factory Crimp Die for a very light crimp. No issues thus far, I only load subs....for now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I use Redding Dies with a Dillon ".30 cal other" funnel to allow for slight bell (if using some of the polycoated cast bullets, so much easier) & Lee Factory Crimp Die for a very light crimp. No issues thus far, I only load subs....for now.

I've been debating about getting a Lyman belling die for .30cal for that purpose, I didn't look into the Dillon powder funnels too much when I ordered mine so I just got the funnel for the 7.62x39. I use lead bullets, and so far I've had luck with a slight bell from a 9mm belling die for getting a little flare.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    No issues with Lee dies here on a Hornady SS press. Not doing any crimp. Chonographed velocities are following load data just fine with W296. Using 99.9% LC 556 resized brass.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Two sets of Lee 300 BO dies here with zero problems. Both have done a crap load of 300 BO loads. I have gone through a 8 lbs. can of A-1680 per year for the past two years and loaded them all on Lee dies.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Two sets of Lee 300 BO dies here with zero problems. Both have done a crap load of 300 BO loads. I have gone through a 8 lbs. can of A-1680 per year for the past two years and loaded them all on Lee dies.

Another vote for Lee! Dies are spot on and the factory crimp is sweet. I cut down a bunch of 223 brass.

Make my own lube like the Dillon stuff.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I havent had any problem with my Lee set either. Just use lube.
    I think some people get aggressive in their initial cutting/resizing when the convert 223 brass to 300BLK. Take your time, cut carefully to minimize trimming but keeping it slightly over length, lube, resize, trim, then verify in sizing dye again (optional), clean/wash (optional, but recommended), and you're in business.

I was surprised at how long it took me to convert about 150 pieces of brass, but then again, I don't have a proper shop or garage in which to do the work.
    If/when I need more brass, I'll get some online.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I just buy my brass already converted. Short on time, and I'd still feel dirty doing that to my stash of 5.56 brass

10 cents per case on once fired converted 300blk, I can like with that

Top Bottom